The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-01-2023, 09:26 AM

Default whats a good deal and brand for a Uke ?

Bought my wife an inexspensive Alvarez Concert uke package a couple of days ago -
and its not bad- thinking about getting her something better in the near future ?
The alvarez looks ok- but you get what you pay for !

Old 03-01-2023, 10:31 AM

Several choices here:

https://breedlovemusic.com/instruments/ukuleles

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 03-01-2023, 01:07 PM

Ukes vary in price from the $20 (probably unplayable) soprano up into the thousands. So what would be good depends on your budget.

Also size affects costs - larger sizes (concert, tenor, baritone) cost more than sopranos of equivalent quality.

I suggest you give a reputed online dealer a telephone call. I know Mim of Mim's Ukuleles from performing at the same festival, and she has a great reputation for advising people based on their needs rather than what will make her the most money. https://mimsukes.com/

Two other sellers with similarly strong reputations are the Ukulele Store and Hawaiian Music Supplies.

I see the Alvarez sells for around $60, and at that price it will be all laminate. Solid top ukes are definitely a step up (in concert size maybe $150 up), and all solid a further step up for maybe $200 and onwards. Or she might want a soprano or a tenor.

Whoever you call, it would be good to have some idea what kind of music your wife has ambitions to play. If she wants to shred fast runs then she'll need a tenor set up with low action, if she plans to strum accompaniment to her singing then I'd say a concert or even a soprano (my own favourite size) would be a better fit.

Looking at Mim's site she mainly sells ukes by Koaloha, Martin and Ohana - all decent brands, though I find the Martins uninspiring because I've been lucky enough to play some vintage Martins.

Good luck with making a choice!
Old 03-01-2023, 01:38 PM

Tenor is the most prevalent size at our local senior center's uke group, and while there's a hodgepodge of brands the better players use Kala and Ohana instruments in the middle and upper ranges of their lines...
Old 03-01-2023, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Take a serious look at Pono. Their plain but very well built solid wood ukes are under $500. Mahogany, mango, or acacia, they play with the basic Hawaiian Koa ukes that are twice the price. Hawaii Music Supply. aka the Ukulele site.

https://theukulelesite.com/pono-at-n...enor-5261.html

the above is the acacia model. My 100% endorsement.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-01-2023, 05:16 PM

Check Mim's as suggested. I've purchased two uke from her, talked to her on the phone, all happy experiences.

Ohana makes some nice mid range ukuleles.

Pono has been mentioned.

KoAloha Opio uke are nice as well.

Something a little different--Magic Fluke--I'd get the solid wood top, the walnut fretboard and upgraded tuners as well. I have a concert Fluke I play every week at least once.

I've have also purchased from Hawaiian Music Supply and Uke Republic. Happy with these purchases as well.
Old 03-01-2023, 07:33 PM

I tried out a bunch at Elderly and wound with an Ohana TK50G for about $400. It's solid cedar and rosewood and glammed up some. It's quite nice.

I also tried some that priced out above $1000. They were even nicer, but not in my budget.

D.H.
Old 03-01-2023, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Another vote for Koaloha. I have the KTO -g6 guitalele and am very impressed with it.
Old 03-01-2023, 08:50 PM

I got my solid koa made in Mexico Martin T1K from Mim's for about $500 a few years ago. That's a lot for a ukulele. Like another small bodied instrument - mandolin - I advise avoiding the rock bottom lowest priced object you can find.

It sounds and plays great, especially with Worth strings.
Old 03-02-2023, 06:14 AM

Look at the Kelali website. I have a Koa Tenor he made and it's really good. Kelali stands for Kevin's late life ukuleles. He's a retired engineer in Santa Rosa. All of his ukulele's are handmade and I haven't heard anyone ever say anything negative about them. I have a pretty good collection of handmade instruments and his is right up there. Usually about $600 to $900.
Old 03-02-2023, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Ukes to me fall into categories. The buy your toddler a uke, there is no bottom, but my daughter has one she bought for $50 that has gone through three kids. That $50 would get you through a beginner class fine. Sounds like the step up is what you need, and like guitars, the next price level can look great. Imported ukes can look good and not be good. The under $500 Pono, is all the uke you could need. No bling, just great sound and playability. Other than being a koa variant, think sapele vs mahogany, an acacia or mango uke sounds very close to a twice plus koa uke. There is no doubting koa is beautiful in looks and sound, and any of the big three K companies are Hawaiian beauties. From there it becomes art.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

Last edited by Br1ck; 03-06-2023 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-04-2023, 09:59 PM

well the alvarez isnt all that bad - not a bottom of the line one -
its getting played and my wife loves it ( im happy she enjoys it )
so it will be around for a while - im rebuilding a uke banjo from the 1920's era
which will be a hoot when im done ( not a hard repair by any means but its really funky ) Thank you one and all those are some beautiful instruments if she keeps with it , ill get her a way better one in the future !

thank you all again !
Old 03-05-2023, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Another option to throw out there is a KLOS carbon fiber tenor ukulele. I have one, and personally like it. Mim's is also a good option, but there is one site I would stay clear of which I have the good sense not to mention, at least publicly. This guy has all the charm of a bad used car salesperson, and is on a short list someone on a ukulele group on Facebook I belong to does not recommend to anyone.
Old 03-06-2023, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjop1975 View Post
Another option to throw out there is a KLOS carbon fiber tenor ukulele. I have one, and personally like it. ...
I heard one at a uke club meeting last month - it sounded really good.

D.H.
Old 03-06-2023, 10:52 AM

Kamaka

My father in law gave me his ukulele, which he purchased at the Kamaka store in Honolulu in the 1950s. It's a beautiful instrument. I only wish I could play it as well as he did. Miss you Bob.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments