The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-22-2022, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. LP Single-cut Specials with P90's RULE!

]
If you want two P90's, each with their own volume and tone control, then a LP is the most obvious choice.
Old 12-23-2022, 02:45 PM

Les Pauls have issues that we all know about. They're expensive; they're spectacularly heavy; the frets aren't quite tall enough for big bluesy string benders like me; the body shape makes the upper frets tough to access across all the strings; and they don't stay in tune.

The problem is that nothing sounds like a Les Paul. Nothing. So, you end up making whatever ergonomic sacrifices you have to make just to get that tone. There is no substitute.
Old 12-23-2022, 03:26 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Much to the chagrin of many of you forumites, I’m hijacking this train. You’ve had eleven pages of Les Paul minutia(more than enough for now) and I want to know how Bob’s dropping weight and getting back to teenaged sized jeans!!! Let’s go Bob….SPILL THE BEANS, BROTHER! How are you loosing weight during the holidays? Merry Christmas my friend, and hoping your lovely wife is fully on the mend, too!
All the best,
frank d.
In 2003 I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes. I was offered the choice to radically change my lifestyle and diet or die a painful death through organ failure and infection. I chose the radical change and am what the doctors call a "compliant diabetic." That, coupled with medicine interactions I wouldn't wish on anyone, pretty much guarantees weight loss. There has never been a better time to be a diabetic, but if you have a choice, don't do it!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-23-2022, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
In 2003 I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes. I was offered the choice to radically change my lifestyle and diet or die a painful death through organ failure and infection. I chose the radical change and am what the doctors call a "compliant diabetic." That, coupled with medicine interactions I wouldn't wish on anyone, pretty much guarantees weight loss. There has never been a better time to be a diabetic, but if you have a choice, don't do it!

Bob
I am very happy to hear you have this under control.
All the best,
frank d.
Old 12-24-2022, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

Bob
Glad you are good Bob! Continued good wishes.
Joe

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 01-01-2023, 02:05 PM

While Les Pauls have different sounds and nothing sounds like a Les Paul, my Giffen should be built in about 5 weeks or so. I put my money where my mouth is and we'll get to see if got it right or horribly wrong.
Old 01-01-2023, 04:10 PM

Juan, that's a beautiful Tokai! I remember when you got your Studio, and when you let it go. Glad you have another Les Paul-ish guitar. How did you find it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post

My current “Les Paul”

Used to own a Studio, but this one put it to shame from construction and tone. I’m gasing for a good top tribute a friend of mine is selling.
Old 01-03-2023, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

I'm probably going to sell my LP. It's over 7 pounds and just feels like an anchor around the neck compared to my tele. Also just got an Ibanez as73 that is surprisingly good and lighter. To the LP credit, it's a very reliable, solid guitar. Sounds great no matter how its played, while the tele can be too twangy sometimes.
Old 01-07-2023, 09:12 AM

Wink

My Les Paul story began with the desire to own a birth year (1980) guitar. I did a bunch of research on guitars made in 1980 and the findings were pretty grim for a person like me with traditional aesthetics. Disco was all the craze and the main builders were experimenting with active electronics and synth-capable doodads in guitars. Nobody had a proper custom shop and no one was yet reaching back to make reissues of the iconic models of the 50s and 60s.

But in 1980 (well, probably a year or two before), Gibson hired Tim Shaw to explore the idea of making a Les Paul that would resemble the Bursts of 1958-60 with PAF-voiced pickups. The result was the Heritage 80 Les Paul, the precursor to the current Gibson Custom Shop R8, R9, and R0.

I searched high and low to find one at a reasonable price and finally scored a very early model from this line: Heritage 80 Les Paul Elite, all original and dated to June 1980.

It's almost 10 lbs, which isn't light, but it sustains like no other guitar I have owned (and I've owned an R6, R9, and Murphy Lab M2M LP). I love it. It's bright and punchy, has great dynamics, and is comfortable to play (especially sitting down!

2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage

Last edited by Steely Glen; 01-07-2023 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-18-2023, 03:06 AM

Being a glassy clean Fender devotee for so many years but knowing I wanted/needed something with more substance in the notes for my band work, I committed to one of the new ‘50s gold tops with P90s.

It was quite an ear and amp adjustment but now it’s the first I pick up. The extra mids I now hear as woody and with the P90s’ clarity and tonal consistency across the strings it seems almost acoustic. I’m in love.
Yeh, it makes every other guitar feel light - and I’m 71 y.o but my band only plays 2 set shows and I’ve not noticed it’s weight at a gig yet - having too much fun I guess.
Old 01-18-2023, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

Have two Standards left. Have had many over the years. A Les Paul inspires me to play a certain way, that I like.

Dessert burst.jpg Darlene.jpg
Old 01-18-2023, 11:55 AM

I don't own one mostly because of the investment, both financial and temporal.

Gibson's quality has waxed and waned throughout its history, and while they're generally making good instruments these days I'd need to try many out and find one I connect with.

I've played a couple Les Pauls I've really liked, some that did nothing for me. That kind of money is significant. Would like to own one someday though.
Old 01-19-2023, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
Les Pauls have issues that we all know about. They're expensive; they're spectacularly heavy; the frets aren't quite tall enough for big bluesy string benders like me; the body shape makes the upper frets tough to access across all the strings; and they don't stay in tune.

The problem is that nothing sounds like a Les Paul. Nothing. So, you end up making whatever ergonomic sacrifices you have to make just to get that tone. There is no substitute.
Apparently not even Les Pauls sound like a Les Paul. I played one of the '59 reissues the other day and was not impressed. It was well-made and set up properly, but it just didn't sound right. I was very disappointed. I don't know what the problem was.
Old 01-19-2023, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Having owned numerous guitars over the last 30+ years, I would say that I own mine for one simple reason…it sounds fantastic.

I will agree that I have had my issues with Gibson. Mainly, what I believe to be sub-par hardware. I’ve also had tuning/stability issues. Until… I replaced the nut with a properly cut version.

I also (out of personal preference) replaced the Grover’s with their drop in locking version, which aids in tuning stability. Additionally, I replaced the ABR bridge with a Faber (which was okay) but, I ended up with a Graphtech string saver NV2…which is a perfect “upgrade” for any Gibson as it has more travel for intonation, and lessens high frequencies overtones.

I now play both guitars without any tuning issues for both lengthy rehearsals and sets. Did I NEED to do all of that…to me, yes.

But, I will say that in my experience a properly cut nut and setup typically cures the majority of tuning issues. In most guitars. Not just Gibson.

So, I could’ve lived without the bridge and tuners I suppose…but I prefer those additions. That being said, I typically will modify most of my guitars to fit my playing style and preferences. Usually they’re drop-in and easily reversed, if needed.

I would agree that you have to play a lot of them to find “the one”…but isn’t that the case with any guitar? While Gibson has had quality control issues, etc. most other manufacturers have their issues also.

There are a lot of great guitars out there. And, a lot of bad ones. Made by all manufacturers. Playing them all until we find “the one” is half the fun! We wouldn’t know bad or good without the process. Which of course isn’t limited to a specific brand.

When it comes down to it, I own a Les Paul because it sounds great, it plays great, it feels great, and it’s a great tool to have in the musical arsenal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 88DE59E8-DF8D-4FB0-B422-F39F4497D856.jpg (37.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg DDC01BBD-4994-4791-968E-88A3B0991A69.jpg (42.0 KB, 39 views)
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

Last edited by PTony; 01-19-2023 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-19-2023, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

I have owned a couple Les Pauls, I no longer own any. Why? I don’t play anything anymore that I need a Les Paul for.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars