The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-08-2013, 12:45 AM

Default What kind of mandolin is this?

Would like some info about my mandolin, it really looks good. Will change strings and polish the frets later when i got time.
Is this all plywood or what? My GF bought it for 20$, dont think it is worth more but would like to know something about the brand "migma"

Last edited by Flatpicknation; 04-08-2013 at 12:57 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:03 AM

anyone good at german ?

MIGMA Meister Flach-Mandoline
handgebaut von Meister "Pennel" in Markneukirchen
wahrscheinlich in den 1960ern
komplett massiv, Einlagen in der Schlagplatte
zweifarbiger gewölbter Rücken
starker aber weicher Ton (mit geschliffenen Chromsaiten)
sehr angenehme Saitenlage, einige Kratzer und Stoßstellen aber keine strukturellen Schäden, ausgezeichneter Zustand, Fotos auf meiner Website
Old 04-08-2013, 01:58 AM

Uhm. I can piece together parts of that, but I wouldn't put any money on this translation...

It's built by hand in Markneukirchen, Germany by some master luthier called Pennel, probably in the 1960's. As far as the fourth line goes, I THINK it means it's all solid wood with an engraved head. Then it says that the mandolin has a strong but soft sound. Not sure what "chromsaiten" means, but what ever it is it's polised. The last line I don't understand. After all; I never really learned German.

Check out Mandolin Café if you wan't to know more. They have a sub forum designated for this sort of topics.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:50 AM

Here is Google translater version:

"MIGMA champion Flat Mandolin
hand-built by master "Pennel" in Markneukirchen
probably in the 1960
completely massive deposits in the strike plate
two color arched back
strong but soft tone (with polished chrome strings)
very pleasant Action, a few scratches and joints but no structural damage, excellent condition, photos on my"
Old 04-08-2013, 07:54 AM

You see that multi-sectioned construction on a lot of Euro instruments... Most all the Italian "bowl" mandolins were made that way.
Nice looking instrument.

Years ago, we had local fellow who gave "tamboritza" lessons to local Croatian/Serbian youth.. (back when they still sort-of liked each other)

Anyway, these instruments were all in the same family, the "balalaika", the tamburitza.. All very similar to the mandolin in size, tone, and playing style.

And, most all the ones I saw were constructed and decorated much like the one illustrated.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments