The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-12-2013, 07:09 PM

Default New resonator - wait begins

Worked out a trade deal with my guitar tech, so in about two weeks I should have a new to me Regal resonator in my posession. He will hot rod it with a Quarterman cone, do a full setup, hybrid action - so I can use it as a back up guitar or for slide. Also decided to have him install a pickup for those electrified moments.
Not sure of the model number, it sounded great even with stock cone, Quarterman ought to wake it up even more.
Excited to dabble a little deeper into a slide technique.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:27 PM

Can't wait for the pics. Is a resonator new for you, or are you experienced?
Old 03-13-2013, 03:24 PM

Thank you Dru!
Resonator will be new to me, I have been playing/learning slide on my six/twelve stringers for a bit now. Just a new tool with different tonal palette.
As for the pictures I need to do that, been slacking in that department. About two weeks ago or so I picked up a new six string, a Barrington Gruhn acoustic, doesn"t seem to be much info out there on them.
Ended up trading my Martin 000-15M for the resonator, wasn't getting played much lately, for my style of playing sitka/rosewood is a better combo.

Hard to let them go, but if it isn't played away it goes.
Thinking about getting Eastman mandolin here soon, another guitar might be leaving the fold.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:37 AM

New resonator day - picked it up earlier today. My guitar tech dressed the frets, made sure there were no surprises, Quarterman cone added a lot to the sustain and to the volume, I managed to play guitar in his store before I committed to it. Set up work was great, intonation is spot on. I will probably have him set it up for mediums, got the lights on it at the moment. That way if I drop to open C heavier strings will compensate some of the tension lost.

It plays well, sustain and note clarity are off the chart (maybe I lucked out), I played a variety of things on it and would be content just having Regal and my twelve string, it is that good.
LOUD when I need it to be, but it also responds very well to a light touch, or dynamics of both.

It doesn't allow for sloppy playing and poor technique, everything is out there to be heard, every note .

Have to say for my first foray into the world of resonator guitar I am very pleased. Pictures to come.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:06 AM

Photo link added. Our dog Crash in his favorite position.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94581273@N06/8634021769

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments