The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-19-2009, 03:48 PM

Ray:

PM heading your way...

Taylorplayer
Old 11-19-2009, 07:50 PM

Hi Ray. Just for comparison here is the break angle on my National Triolian. Not nearly as much as your under saddle setup, but mine plays nice and sweet.

I'm no expert on resonators, but I would be a bit concerned about putting too much pressure on the cone with the strings run under the saddle like you have.

I used to have a Gold Tone steel body resonator that had buzzing issues. For a while I suspected that the break angle might be the culprit. So I went to a local shop that carries Nationals and checked them out. Saw they were setup with similar to my Gold Tone. Eventually I figured out that the cone had slipped a little to one side and repositioning it took care of the buzzing.

Unfortunately the damage had already been done while I was checking out the Nationals and I convinced myself I had to upgrade.

Anyway, good luck with your instrument.

Mark
Old 11-19-2009, 09:58 PM

Thanks for the photo, Mark. It lets me know about where this one is going to end up when I restring it in the AM. Very helpful.

I can't afford to check in guitar stores: I stopped into Elderly's several months ago to buys some picks -- I walked out with the res. My wife still doesn't see how that transaction was as good a deal as I told her it was!

Ray
Old 11-19-2009, 10:51 PM

Ray,
you can actually put the balls ends under without changing the set of strings. Just tune down enough to remove the balls from the tailpiece, and put them the other way. You can see (or hear) the difference. One string at a time is a good idea, although you'll have difficulty to remove the balls as the pressure will push the tailpiece near the coverplate. If you detune all the strings, removing the balls will be easier, but put a capo on the 5 or 7 fret to keep them in place, and, as previously said, retune the guitar to balance the pressure on the cone. Tune one side only to pitch is not recommended indeed.
The whole string angle/pressure on cone is a long time discussion. Everybody seems to have an opinion on that.
I have resos with a sharp angle, others with almost no angle.
But I'm using resos in a quite non-conventional way (no blues, no slide, bare fingers), so YMMV.

BTW, thank you for listening my you tube channel. Happy you like it.
I should make more.

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 03-27-2023, 10:23 AM

Default Interesting idea

I figured out that Stringing the strings on the Resonator Guitar underneath the Tailpiece lip allows you to switch over to lighter gauge strings for easier playability (like 11s or 10s) because it compensates for the reduced volume by putting them at a steeper angle over the bridge.
Old 04-02-2023, 04:00 AM
Charter Member

Dunno much about Regal but I imagine they use a copy of the National style tailpiece.

Here's a pic of my Estralita tailpiece.
Note that I put a sliver of leather between the top edge and the cone cover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0278.jpg (41.9 KB, 65 views)
Old 04-05-2023, 04:28 PM

Default Neat idea

Well a good tip if you're using really Light Gauge Strings (11s, 10s, 9s, or thinner) on a Resonator Guitar so you can play it like a Regular Guitar to get a different sound is to string them "backwards" underneath the tailpiece lip instead of over it because it'll increase the break angle over the bridge.
Old 04-05-2023, 09:43 PM

Under the tailpiece could put too much pressure on the cone(s) and result in a crush. This is what you want to go for:

Old 04-06-2023, 07:12 AM

Oddly there is another thread at michaelmesser's slide guitar forum that goes over the issues and Michael Messer has come on and given a run down of the case against it. I believe he also addresses overstringing and gives his opinion.

I hope the admins don't object to my linking to the thread:
https://michaelmesser.proboards.com/...ngs-tail-piece

I have a Recording King that is understrung and I am keeping to the exact specifications that it was set up in terms of string weight and brand - I don't know how to modify a tailpiece and overstringing reduces the break angle. I don't want to deal with any of that since it plays well as is.

Regal, Gretch and Recording King all seem to have some models with understringing to improve break angle as has been noted here, and I think to accomodate light strings in at least woodbody models. The are not like Nationals or high end boutique models where you can get a replacement from the manufacturer or place you bought from if you collapse the cone or break the tailpiece.

Last edited by slide496; 04-06-2023 at 07:18 AM.
Old 08-23-2023, 11:12 AM

Default Figured it out

Stringing the strings below the tailpiece lip is actually safer if you switch to lighter gauge strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments