The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-29-2023, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Default Lap steel guitars

Recently, I've picked up a couple of lap steel guitars. Both were purchased used. One is an Epiphone Electar Inspired by version (new model) and the other is a Supro 1400 Hawaiian I think made in 1951. The Supro has the string through pickup, which is nice for slightly overdriven sounds. The Epi has a humbucker and I think it sounds good for the more Hawaiian and twangy sounds. They definitely sound much different to each other.

If I'm not wrong, I think Bob has one of the Supro models he uses.

I was planning to tune the Epi to C6 and the Supro to open A for more bluesy stuff.

Any of you folks play lap steel? Who do you recommend for learning online?20230328_201603.jpgelectar-inspired-by-1939-century-lap-steel-outfit-600-6-96239.jpg
Old 03-30-2023, 04:18 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Yep, I've got a Supro Supreme Hawaiian 1400 from around the restart of production at the end of WWII. It lacks all the frills added later and has a captive, cloth-covered cable. It sounds something like a Tele. It is an ugly little spud, eh?

Modern Gretsch G5715, a recreation of their 1950 5147 Mainliner

1941 Rickenbacher B6 "Panda"

I wrote reviews of those last two, by the way, HERE and HERE. I use open E (Rick), Em (Supro), and concert tuning (Gretsch). Ironically, I've never much gone for the Hawaiian sound. The E is for blues, the Em for minor key melodic work, and the E for major open work. I will admit that when I arrive at the studio and find any of those tunings hard to adapt to the material I'll freely tweak to make the job easier. Just lazy, I guess. Or, "time is money and money is time," thou knowest.

Be sure to join the Steel Guitar Forum, for all the best info, HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-30-2023, 06:55 AM

I've had a NIOMA for more years than I can remember. I bought it at a yard sale for $15.00.
It hung on the wall for years with heavy, crusty strings.
One day I put on a new set and plugged it into my Tweed Deluxe.
OMG!
What incredible tone.
At the first gig people ran to hear it.
Second gig?
Same thing.
I tune it to open E.
Our singer loves the sound.
Old 03-30-2023, 08:12 AM

Lap steel can be a lot of fun. I made custom 6, 7, and 8 string laps for 5 years after my official retirement from a day job as a way of transitioning to "retirement".
My old website has instructional material for those wanting to build their own and is available at the Internet Archive.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars