The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-24-2023, 11:46 AM

Default Taylor NT neck reset tools

Luthier shaved down saddle and I want to get guitar set up the right way as break angle is no bueno. Will probably end up selling, as it is a dreadnought, albeit a glorious sounding one, but want to give it one last shake out to see how I like it with lower action.

Thanks to forum, I replaced the lifting bridge on my alvarez OM and it has been rock solid since, so I am not worried about the Taylor NT reset. Customer service told me that they could get me the appropriate sized shim, but I need to install the new tusq saddle and give them measurements (and presumably, crack open NT neck to see what shims are installed currently).

I know i need a hairdryer to get off the sticker, but then does anyone know the bolt size off hand? 2 into neck block and one into fingerboard, but I can't find the sizes of each online. Anyone know? Want to make sure I have the right tools ready and then I think I should be able to get the guitar sorted if I go slowly and deliberately.
Thanks in advance for your insights !
Old 03-24-2023, 11:52 AM

Default a thought

CALL TAYLOR AND ASK.
Old 03-24-2023, 11:54 AM

Default a thought

Call Taylor and ask. Or peel off the sticker and trial-fit tools until the right ones fit.
Old 03-24-2023, 01:29 PM

Thanks for your help.
I found photos and bolt sizes in this guide for future reference:
http://www.mirwa.com.au/HTS_Remove_R...ylor_neck.html
I'll let you all know how it works out.
Old 03-28-2023, 06:44 AM

Thank you for starting this thread, skouri1.

I need to get my 23 year old 310CE tuned up.
2000 Walnut/Purpleheart/Bol RW "Les Paul"
98 Larrivée C-05 sitka/mahogany florentine.
95 Breedlove SC Cedar/EIRW
Bedell TBCE-18-G

Daedalus Audio C81
Rane AP13
Genz Benz Shenandoah 100
Fishman Loudbox 100 & Acoustic Performer Pro
Boss RC-50
Old 03-28-2023, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skouri1 View Post
Thanks for your help.
I found photos and bolt sizes in this guide for future reference:
http://www.mirwa.com.au/HTS_Remove_R...ylor_neck.html
I'll let you all know how it works out.
This is a great resource thanks!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 03-28-2023, 03:02 PM

Getting the shims from Taylor is proving a little more complicated. We'll see. They recommend I got to taylor techs, I just dont really want to be charged $125 for a 15 minute job. Actually, even getting a quote in the first place has been complicated. I guess if they don't provide the shims, I will just call every place within a reasonable distance.

I am actually surprised the neck /top moved that much in only 10-12 years of guitar's life. but 12th fret action with standard height saddle is now over 4mm. I am wondering if the bolts just need tightening. I'll keep you all posted. I would love to be able to do the reset myself, but hopefully I can find a local luthier with the right shims and a reasonable price if necessary.
-sterling
Old 03-28-2023, 04:50 PM

I tried to insist in my reply and they offered to sell me a kit (with tools and 2 sets of shims /sticker ) for 50$ plus s&h. It wont arrive for a little while but I will keep you guys posted. Cool that it comes with 2 full sets of shims.
Old 03-29-2023, 05:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I tried to insist in my reply and they offered to sell me a kit (with tools and 2 sets of shims /sticker ) for 50$ plus s&h. It wont arrive for a little while but I will keep you guys posted. Cool that it comes with 2 full sets of shims.
Following this, definitely keep us posted.
I'm surprised they sold you the shims, my tech told me Taylor doesn't like to let just anybody use them.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 03-29-2023, 08:16 AM

Shims are not hard to make. I have done a few of the NT resets, using shims I made.
Old 03-29-2023, 12:58 PM

It took some insisting. But they have a kit probably for luthiers who are not certified.
I actually think the NT neck design is so brilliant, they shouldn't hesitate sending them out via their website along with replacement saddles etc.
Of course, torque is a question, but they could provide specs or instructions. Some hamfisted people could destroy some taylors but with a little care and a deliberate approach I am confident i'll get there. we'll see if I eat my words.
I thought i was in over my head with the bridge replacement on my alvarez, but with some patience, trial and error and help from the forum, it has held beautifully since the surgery. Having said that, if I were a pro, I am sure I would have done the job in 1/4 of the time.
Old 03-30-2023, 08:53 AM

Quote:
It took some insisting. But they have a kit probably for luthiers who are not certified.
I actually think the NT neck design is so brilliant, they shouldn't hesitate sending them out via their website along with replacement saddles etc.
Of course, torque is a question, but they could provide specs or instructions. Some hamfisted people could destroy some taylors but with a little care and a deliberate approach I am confident i'll get there. we'll see if I eat my words.
I thought i was in over my head with the bridge replacement on my alvarez, but with some patience, trial and error and help from the forum, it has held beautifully since the surgery. Having said that, if I were a pro, I am sure I would have done the job in 1/4 of the time.
1. Taylor used to send you shims for free if you were able to halfway articulate the process to Customer Service. They've sold enough guitars now that that practice was probably getting too expensive, so they're charging. Or, people were doing their own, screwing it up, and then going for a warranty repair. In any event, the "free" window appears to be closed, now.

2. Taylor on YT has 21 videos up, but 18 are hidden Of the 18, 2 are the reset process, and they're pretty explicit, including as to determining which shims you need (which is why they can't offer the kit like another replacement part). Unfortunately, for reasons unclear, Taylor closed the "how to do it" video window.

3. I've not done it, but my recollection is that the installation (what bolts you tighten fully/partially before others) order is important - Steve's pages seem in accord with what I recall.

4. I've seen a YT video on a Taylor reset where the guy mentioned that he frequently pulls the Taylor necks off and finds a heel crack on the bottom that usually runs between the bolt holes. He glues it up to keep it from spreading. I believe he posited that it was from bolt tension and wood dry-out over time. Don't overtighten on install (Steve = "firm but not ridiculous" which is an actual setting on my torque wrench). I've also seen people who fixed their neck angle simply by tightening the bolts that had loosened since manufacture.

Good luck. Please do post how it turns out, what issues you hit, what you found, etc.

Last edited by ChrisN; 03-30-2023 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:16 AM

So I just ordered a set of shims from Taylor CS today.

The rep included guidelines in an email about action height, relief, etc.

I don't know if I'm going to work on my 310CE until sometime in May because I have 2 performances coming up on the 15th and 29th of next month, so I don't want to be without this axe for whatever reason.

I'll try to give some detailed information regarding torque values of the bolts, etc. and see if I can tighten the bolts before removing them. The guitar is 23 years old after all and this will be the first time the neck and body have been separated since I bought it.

Taylor CS did say neck resets were included in warranty work to the original buyer of the guitar, which I am, but if you pay someone to work on it, they may charge for the additional setup work. I'm going to be fitting a new Graph Tech saddle for mine as well during the operation, to match my other guitars. I had originally put one in the guitar with the B string compensation, but I've been installing the fully compensated variants in my GS-mini and Larrivee, so I'll continue the trend I have a few of them on hand at present.

I will make my own thread about it as well! I appreciate skouri1 allowing me to ping pong in here and certainly I don't want to distract anyone but I've been considering this for a while.
2000 Walnut/Purpleheart/Bol RW "Les Paul"
98 Larrivée C-05 sitka/mahogany florentine.
95 Breedlove SC Cedar/EIRW
Bedell TBCE-18-G

Daedalus Audio C81
Rane AP13
Genz Benz Shenandoah 100
Fishman Loudbox 100 & Acoustic Performer Pro
Boss RC-50
Old 03-30-2023, 07:49 PM

No prob interjecting. I too am really wondering if bolts just need to be tightened. That will be the first thing I check. I put in Taylor stock saddle i ordered from their website just to get back to factory settings. It is tall. Required light sanding and was a tight fit. I will provide photos and also results of my trial and error with different shims. I'm sure it will be a few hours of futzing around loosening and tightening , unless I get lucky and guess right early . I'm going to be very careful with tightening as ive been there done that with carbon fiber bicycle components in the past when I've been too hamfisted. Learned to go slowly and never force. Alternating bolts . Use the minimum to keep things from slipping.
Old 03-30-2023, 10:26 PM

Yes just nipped up firm, you will feel the bolt be all loose and then suddenly your not turning it any more, its at this point we just give it a nip to seat the bolt so it does not come loose

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair