The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-06-2023, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
Kamaka

My father in law gave me his ukulele, which he purchased at the Kamaka store in Honolulu in the 1950s. It's a beautiful instrument. I only wish I could play it as well as he did. Miss you Bob.
I've spent several weeks in Hawaii over the last few years. Most of the solo performers I saw played Kamakas.
Old 03-06-2023, 03:17 PM

If budget and interest permit, then one of the "K" brands out of Hawaii. As others have said, Kamaka is a great brand. Kanile'a and Koaloha round out the "big three".

To my ears, Kamaka is the Martin of ukes -warm and traditional, while Kanile'a is more the Taylor, with a brighter, more modern sound.

Personally, I have a Kamaka all-koa tenor that will probably always be my go-to uke. I do really, really like Kanile'as too, though.

Yes, they're expensive. But, they're lifetime, heirloom-quality instruments. And if you buy used, you're likely to be able to get your money back out of it later if she loses interest.
Old 03-06-2023, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Both guitar stores I use, Gryphon and Sylvan, both have a healthy stock of Hawaiian koa Ukes, so they must sell quite well. But for me I knew it was going to be a niche instrument. In fact I haven't touched mine since playing the mandolin. I can justify having a $500 instrument sitting around.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-06-2023, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post
I heard one at a uke club meeting last month - it sounded really good.

D.H.
Thanks - mine is the hybrid and I had them put on a strap button on the bottom as well as engrave my name on it. I heard of KLOS because of Tony P.'s review of the guitars on YouTube and started looking around the site and saw they offered tenor ukuleles, so I took a chance and am glad I did. In fact, I really need to restring it - been busy with work obligations to take it across town to have done.

A friend of mine swears to Outdoor Ukulele out of Port Bend, Oregon as she lives in Vermont with weather all over the map. That would be another route to go if you were going the non wood route - Cynthia has nothing but good things to say about hers.
Old 03-07-2023, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

I have a Fluke I bought to travel with. Very well made and I've heard nothing of the plastic frets wearing out. Cool factor is high.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-07-2023, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Kala or Ohana are ones that are good at Lower price point. I tried a few cordoba ukes and have always been disappointed in their ukes. The Kala travel tenor is surprisingly good sounding and I got on close out for $89 with a nice bag.

For a little over 300 the Kala super tenor is great.
Old 06-21-2023, 03:31 PM

In my view Kala offer the best price/quality relation, for not too expensive but still decent instruments. In the same price range I also find Leto to have an amazing sound, but especially if you do fingerpicking/classical style. Pono too.
I wonder if Martin ukuleles are worth all that money...
Old 07-15-2023, 02:46 PM

Hey there!
I agree that Kala makes great instruments. Handmade here in Northern California, near where I live. Lists of choices in woods and sizes. You could go used, but I think given a choice, you would get what you paid for without the hassle of a repair bill up front.
Happy hunting! Jan 🎸
Old 07-15-2023, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjop1975 View Post
... there is one site I would stay clear of which I have the good sense not to mention, at least publicly. This guy has all the charm of a bad used car salesperson, and is on a short list someone on a ukulele group on Facebook I belong to does not recommend to anyone...
I believe we're talking about the same guy :

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/....php?p=6245213

Band broke up a couple months later so the need became moot, but should I ever become so inclined I'll likely be buying from Mim's...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments