The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-14-2023, 01:14 PM

sample of ReBell parlor, first Zoom H1 recorder,
line out from Schertler JAM 100 at the end

Old 02-16-2023, 06:13 PM

I appreciate the detailed review of this system. I have it under serious consideration for a Eastman E8OM I recently purchased. The tone unplugged is fantastic and would like to stay as close as I can plugged in.
Old 02-17-2023, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschroeder View Post
The K&K has a much stronger signal than my passive Schatten HFN. I'm assuming your version with a preamp would be stronger or compare similarly to the K&K.

Because of the boomy low end of the K&K it is more feedback prone than the HFN. Although all soundboard transducers tend to be less feedback resistant that a traditional undersaddle piezo.

As far as tone, it would all depend on personal preference:

The HFN is very articulate (sometimes to a fault) and requires a cut on the high frequencies. I have had no problems with the low end like others have reported. Both of my guitars have plenty of low end and I actually cut at the 200 frequency to reduce feedback.

The K&K sounds great but is less articulate on the high end. And even with a substantial cut on the low end it is still a bit bass heavy. I'm sure it varies depending on the guitar and installation position of the K&K sensors.

I prefer the HFN because it's easier to tame and dial in the sound I want (and again... it doesn't require a superglue installation). I'm actually considering adding the Utra Tonic UTP V3.2-CK to the K&K in my SJ guitar. Many report it gives the K&K a much more balanced signal reducing the boomy low end and adding a more articulate high end.

Definitely agree. The passive Schatten HFN has lower output, but is noticeably more neutral and natural. While a good preamp is helpful for either, it is not essential for the Scatten to sound decent; while it is for the K&K in my experience with them.
Old 02-23-2023, 03:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkeragain View Post
Definitely agree. The passive Schatten HFN has lower output, but is noticeably more neutral and natural. While a good preamp is helpful for either, it is not essential for the Scatten to sound decent; while it is for the K&K in my experience with them.
I switched to Schatten HFNs a few years ago after trying most of the available SBT options. I like the Schatten because of the putty option and the way you can configure a preamp the way you need.

I combine mine with an end pin jack custom designed for the Schatten by the crew at MiSi. It is one of their snappy preamps that charge with a capacitor, so bo battery inside.

Most Schatten installs have given me fantastic natural tone, including all the bass I need. I've had a couple that I've had to re do, but overall I find the pickup to be very consistent, great bass response, high feedback resistance. For a single source solution I find it hard to beat.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 02-25-2023, 09:47 AM

Here’s a shot of the install from inside. I’m really surprised that I got the position just right on the first try. But I haven’t had to move it and everything still sounds balanced and full.

Last edited by dilver; 02-25-2023 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-25-2023, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilver View Post
No disrespect to anyone using Dazzo pickups, but I just didn’t have a lot of confidence in Dazzo after seeing the horrible website and really amateur videos of Teddy Randazzo.
Completely understand! That was my first reaction.

But then I heard some sound samples (Doug Young and others) and I realized that, like many people who are fantastic in one area, other skills may be lacking.

I replaced all of my K&K AND HFN pickups with Dazzo. Could not be happier.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 02-25-2023, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Completely understand! That was my first reaction.

But then I heard some sound samples (Doug Young and others) and I realized that, like many people who are fantastic in one area, other skills may be lacking.

I replaced all of my K&K AND HFN pickups with Dazzo. Could not be happier.
Dazzo pickups are amazing, even if the website is rough.

One key advantage his pickups hold over others is his ability to dial in or dial out bass. You can order a '% of bass' in his pickups. That is a pretty beast move.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification