The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-04-2023, 06:21 PM

Default Overtone and G chords

I have a 2016 Martin D-18. I don’t play it a ton but I love it and have been using a lot lately for some home recording. I was recently recording a song in G. When I listened to the track I noticed a pronounced harmonic overtone adding a second note to the open G. I narrowed it down to the D string with A overtone.

I tried playing a D on the A string fifth fret and I hear it there as well, though slightly less pronounced. I thought I’d try putting a capo on first fret and doing the song in Ab. The overtone is still there but in Bb. Same thing happens if I move up another fret - overtone raises a half step.

I tried tuning down a half step. Same thing.

Here is a sound sample of playing just the open D string and then an open G chord.

https://on.soundcloud.com/USj29Mjog2ZyBeBW6

I don’t know how I’ve never noticed it before. Is this typical? I feel like it can’t be. It seems so pronounced to me when playing a G chord.
Old 02-04-2023, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

I don't hear anything in the recordings that sounds out of place.

- Glenn
Old 02-04-2023, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

- Glenn
Agree. I certainly hear overtones, but nothing that clashes with the fundamental tones.
Old 02-04-2023, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Hear a bit of a overtone ring on the fourth (D) string but it's a third overtone (a D note overtone). Various overtones are part of the guitar's nature.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-04-2023, 07:48 PM

That D-18 sounds nice to me.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like you should play the D-18 more often.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 02-04-2023, 09:25 PM

Thanks for listening. On the one hand, I’m very glad y’all think there is nothing wrong with my guitar. On the other hand, I’m wondering what’s wrong with me that I have now developed this heightened sensitivity to harmonic overtones. But it’s this one in particular on the D that creates an added second (to my newly acquired bionic ears at least) on the open G chord that is really bugging me.

I guess I need to find some way to zen it out or recalibrate whatever has become out of whack somewhere inside the ole noggin.

And yes, I need to play it more. It’s a lovely guitar.
Old 02-04-2023, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrotele View Post
Thanks for listening. On the one hand, I’m very glad y’all think there is nothing wrong with my guitar. On the other hand, I’m wondering what’s wrong with me that I have now developed this heightened sensitivity to harmonic overtones. But it’s this one in particular on the D that creates an added second (to my newly acquired bionic ears at least) on the open G chord that is really bugging me.

I guess I need to find some way to zen it out or recalibrate whatever has become out of whack somewhere inside the ole noggin.

And yes, I need to play it more. It’s a lovely guitar.
Don't know about bionic ears as most all of us are aware of and hear that various overtones and sympatheic vibrations between strings occur. The times that does not sound right there are string picking selections to chose among and string damping techniques to practice.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-04-2023, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Don't know about bionic ears as most all of us are aware of and hear that various overtones and sympatheic vibrations between strings occur. The times that does not sound right there are string picking selections to chose among and string damping techniques to practice.
I was merely being jocular regarding what seems like a sudden hyper awareness of those overtones. I’m fully aware that I’m not the only one to hear them…
Old 02-04-2023, 10:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

To me, there's music, and then there's math. I may not be phrasing it very well, but I think the idea will make overall sense.

Music: Some days I hear things and they sound "off" or not right. Some days I hear things and they sound glorious. I think it's just a matter of how my psyche is aligned with the cosmos at the moment. The things I'm hearing are probably the same, and how they sound to me is what's different.

Math: An A overtone on a D note is 1/3 of the vibrating length of the string (nodes at 7th and 19th frets), so it's a strong overtone and would generally be expected to be there. The only stronger overtone would be 1/2 the length, and that's a D note an octave up so it wouldn't stand out.
Softride Rocket
Trek Y-Foil
Old 02-05-2023, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

- Glenn
I don't hear an "A" in that G chord, and I would expect that to stick out a bit. I don't doubt that it's there in your room, but I don't hear it on the recording. Is it as pronounced in different rooms?
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 02-05-2023, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

The guitar sounds completely normal.
Old 02-05-2023, 07:20 AM

Sounds normal to me too

btw, what are recording that with? Do you have any way to use an equalizer after it's recorded? A parametric can dial out just about any over tone you're not liking

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 02-05-2023, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Yes, seems like the guitar is fine but remember sometimes our technique will accidentally excite a harmonic of a string by how we release it. Could be that's what's happening. If it really is annoying then maybe try to clean up your fretting hand.
Old 02-05-2023, 08:10 AM

Thanks for the additional input. I’ll just accept that the prominence of the overtone is something happening in how I am perceiving it rather than an issue with the guitar. These things do happen and I’ve got plenty of examples from my decades playing various instruments where I’ve heard something that wasn’t right to my ear that eventually dissipated, particularly after confirmation that no one else was hearing it.

As for the room question… I recorded it using a Mojotone Quiet Coil pickup (great inexpensive magnetic pickup - if you hear any noise/buzzing it’s because I am sitting directly in front of my computer monitor. When turned away from it the pickup is dead quiet). Anyway, I took the guitar into a different room to have my wife play a G chord so I could listen. Still there. Took off the pickup in case there was some interaction with the magnet causing it. Still there.

Maybe I’ll try a different set of strings. I did try to EQ some of it out. Marginal. As for technique, I’ve been playing guitar for 42 years, professionally for some of that time. If at this point my technique can’t manage an open G chord, well, I’ve really been fooling myself for far too long to stop now! :-)

But given that no one else can hear what I’m hearing, I’m chalking this up to a temporary perception issue that will resolve itself as these things tend to do.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion