The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-06-2019, 11:35 PM
Charter Member

Default Dream Check. Might make us happy to know...

Just for fun, what builds are you expecting? Considering? Almost ready to pull the trigger on? Just kinda thinking about? This one is just to check the pulse of our world.
For me I have a 000-18 slated for sometime with Jayson Bowerman. It’ll be cedar/Tree and it’ll have Jayson’s version of a 1937 Martin burst.
I’ve also paid off a second Halland. The rub though is this...so the Halland I got a few months back is a staggering instrument. Truly staggering. It is also only the 7th guitar Gage has built since completing his apprenticeship with Michael Greenfield, which is also staggering. I can’t even imagine how good a Halland will be in the next 3 or 4 (or 5) years and with that in mind my next Halland build will begin when Gage feels like the guitar I have now doesn’t stand up to whatever he’s building at that point in time. It’s a trippy way to go about it but it makes sense I think.

So, what about you?
Old 09-07-2019, 05:53 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

I'm finishing up my Brondel A2c with Smoky Red Spruce and Pernambuco. Up on deck is a Circa OM-18/21 with German Spruce and Beeswing Mahogany, and sometime next year-ish a LeGeyt CLM with Smoky Red Spruce and "Tree." Lastly, sometime in the next two years, a Kostal German/Pernambuco, body TBD.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

I have a 16” tapered rimmed, Sycamore (European) Maple/Carpathian Spruce Monarch archtop in North Carolina luthier John Buscarino’s build queue for delivery later next year. My focus in recent years has been to get instruments from luthiers who are nearing the end of their time at the bench (e.g. Buscarino, Kukich, Sexauer etc.) because their body of work is finite and they will not be available in the future.

One thing about working with older luthiers (besides their experience in optimizing their approach) is they HAVE THE WOOD! Below is the quartersawn, fiddleback billet & sides of Sycamore Maple that has been seasoning for 18 years that John is using for my guitar (note the re-saw date on the billet of 2002)...

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 09-09-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:22 AM

Gage is a cool guy! Met him at Michael’s workshop during his apprenticeship a few years back.

A bit different: I’m looking forward to a Greenfield C1 concert classical (probably 2021) and a Greenfield G5 soprano (I think 2022?). Think we’ve gone for a cedar top on the classical & moon spruce for the G5. Yum!

Joel
Old 09-07-2019, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Smile New build...

I have a thread going on my FOURTH John Kinnaird custom

This will be his biggest ever and have every bell and whistle except fan frets. I play a lot of slide, and FF would be too weird for that!

Cedar over Spanish Cedar with curly Walnut binding and big bevels.

See the thread for more if you want!

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=553751

Happy picking to all

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 09-07-2019, 10:17 AM

I'm in the process of planning a build with John Greven for a 00 12-fret cutaway in flamed maple and Lutz spruce with flamed koa binding and headstock overlay. This will be my second Greven to partner with the 000 14-fret cutaway he build for me in 2013 with Brazilian rosewood and Lutz spruce, which is the best acoustic guitar I have ever played.

As I get older I like the idea of a smaller body guitar that's comfy to play on the couch. So a 00 12-fret short scale with a cutaway should do the trick. John does fantastic things with maple and Lutz, so I'm going with this combination.

Bill

2002 Taylor GA 12-string custom: sitka/mahogany
2013 Greven OOO: Lutz/Brazilian
2021 Greven OO-12 fret: Lutz/Brazilian
2017 Rainsong Al Petteway Ltd. OOO: carbon fiber
2017 Birdsong Especial II Bass: Cypress/Rosewood
Old 09-07-2019, 12:08 PM

Finishing the Bashkin Swiss Moon/PRW build (linked below), and starting to plan for the Michaud build, currently pencilled in as an 0 or 00 spruce over koa.

I have GAS for a steel string 00-28 to pair off my 00-28c, and might sell or trade the M-36 because I use it less now that I have Joel's J-R in hand and the Carter Poulsen J model, two very different but lovely jumbos. Rather than go the Martin route, I might look for a build.

This year, I am looking at either a Comins GCS or Tele starter guitar for jazz, and that might lead to a custom archtop. That's a ways off, but I might start to do some research about build queues this year.

Bashkin 00-12 Adi/Hog
Bashkin 0M-MS Swiss Moon/PRW(build thread)
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Carter-Poulsen J-Model German Select Spruce/MacEb
Fender MIJ Strat ('90) and 50s RW Tele ('19)
Martin 00-28c Spruce/BRW('67)
Martin M-36 (R) Sitka/EIR
Michaud O-R Cedar/Koa - New Build
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
K. Yairi RF-120 Spruce/EIR
KoAloha KTM-25 Koa/Koa
Yamaha G-231 Cedar/Hog ('71)
Old 09-07-2019, 12:58 PM

2020. One build. On the books for about five years. I’ve had to delay as my life took a couple of detours. Now I’m ready so...

Tom Doerr - Brazilian, Adirondack. We’ve been talking quite a bit about shape and there are two options I’m considering; the Modified Dread and the Bel Cante. The Bel actually preceded the Solace and is very similar with a little more UB and W. Still a large pinched-waist guitar. After much discussion, I’m leaning toward 14-fret, standard scale (~25.5”), soft cut, Ryan bevel, etc... already picked the BS set and the BRW fb, top will be Tom’s call.

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 09-07-2019, 02:31 PM

A 12-fret 00 short scale (24.9") slot-head from Beau Hannam. Tasmanian blackwood back/sides, Englemann top, African blackwood fretboard & bridge, ebony bindings, custom Rodgers 3-on-a-plate tuners. Two and a half years on order but finally underway! It might arrive by year's end.

Back:

Tuner plate design:
Old 09-07-2019, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

I have a Sexauer OM Pernambuco/Adi, Brondel A2c Cuban Hog/Englemann in 2020 and Circa 0012c in Maple/Adi in 2021. These will be my 1st voyage into new builds.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
A 12-fret 00 short scale (24.9") slot-head from Beau Hannam. Tasmanian blackwood back/sides, Englemann top, African blackwood fretboard & bridge, ebony bindings, custom Rodgers 3-on-a-plate tuners. Two and a half years on order but finally underway! It might arrive by year's end.

Back:

Tuner plate design:
Love those pics! Got any more you want to share?
Old 09-08-2019, 12:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwpierce View Post
I have a Sexauer OM Pernambuco/Adi, Brondel A2c Cuban Hog/Englemann in 2020 and Circa 0012c in Maple/Adi in 2021. These will be my 1st voyage into new builds.
For a "1st voyage" you've chosen the equivalent of a round the world trip! What a great list of guitars coming up.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:25 AM

Also getting my first - and I expect only - custom built guitar. On the list with Taran Guitars for a build in 2021. To be scoped out between now and then. To say I'm excited is an understatement.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:46 AM

I have a new build that I expect to be receiving soon, my first in many years.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:44 AM

Tom Sands model S in Ceylon satinwood and European spruce due spring/summer of 2021 #dasnice

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop