The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-26-2021, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Default Recommendation for LDC with multi-pattern capability

I'd like to add an LDC to my mic collection that has multi-pattern capability so I can try some M-S mic'ing. I have a Rode NT1A LDC that should work as a mid mic.

I think my choices are solid state, transformer-less or vacuum tube with power supply.

This is for solo guitar recording.

Appreciate any recommendations. Would like to buy made in USA and willing to spend up to $1,500.

Thanks for any advice!
Froggy Bottom H-12 (Adi/EIR)
Robinson 12 Fret SS Dread (Spruce/Mahogany)
Eastman 810CE (Spruce/Maple archtop)
Old 01-26-2021, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Tall order with the Made In USA part. Maybe "assembled" but most of the components will come from elsewhere.

You can check off a few boxes in your want list with a tube mic. Top of your price range is a Telefunken TF39. Just a warning - with most tube *microphone*s, you'll want to invest in a hefty stand with boom, or at least a bunch of sandbags. (I think you should get a $150+ stand thrown in with that much spent on a mic, TBH, without much hard negotiations, go for sales tax too, while you are at it.)

But, there are many nice non-tube mics with multi-pattern for less and a lot less, IMO, especially if you can look past the country of origin. AKG C414 is one that comes up a lot, and there are ribbons, which are interesting, but I'd probably want a couple of good LDCs before expanding in that direction, unless you have applications that can really use a ribbon. Just IMO.

Good luck. (Taxes looking good for you? )

Last edited by keith.rogers; 01-26-2021 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-26-2021, 02:17 PM
Eric Skye

I think I have a good recommendation for you. A few weeks ago I got a pair of Austrian Audio 818's and I'm very happy. These will replace my 414 XLS pair that I use often. I've been doing a lot of test recording as a spaced pair in cardioid and omni, as well as in mid/side with a SDC, and again super happy with the tones I've been getting. https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...dio-oc818-oc18

Update: Sorry, I just noticed you said made in USA. Maybe look at Peluso https://www.pelusomicrophonelab.com/index.html
and other instruction at EricSkye.com/instruction

Last edited by min7b5; 01-26-2021 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Two mics I own fit the bill and I recommend each very highly. I've also recently heard samples of another mic that comes in at $800 and impressed me greatly.

I'll start with the two I own...

The Lauten Atlantis sells for about $1500 new. It has three polar patterns (cardioid, omni, fig-8) and three voicing settings (forward, gentle, neutral). To my ears, the Atlantis has a bit of a 47 FET flavor. I love this mic and if I had bought it before I bought my Flea 47, I might never have bought the Flea. This mic hits way above its pay grade.

The Blue Kiwi sells for $2000 new but can be had on the used market for $1000-$1500. This mic has nine polar patterns, so any pattern you might want is there at the turn of a dial. While not at all an 87 type clone, I think this mic does lean a bit in that direction.

I don't own a Serrano 87 but the examples I've heard so far have me very interested and there's little doubt I'll be owning one before too long. On both vocals and acoustic, this mic shines in every good way possible. At $800, this is a real bargain. You can hear some samples at this link.
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

SoundCloud link
Spotify
YouTube

Last edited by jim1960; 01-26-2021 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
I'd like to add an LDC to my mic collection that has multi-pattern capability so I can try some M-S mic'ing. I have a Rode NT1A LDC that should work as a mid mic.

I think my choices are solid state, transformer-less or vacuum tube with power supply.

Appreciate any recommendations. Would like to buy made in USA and willing to spend up to $1,500.

Thanks for any advice!
That budget should get you well into great mic's I don't do M/S recording but I understand ideally the side mic wants to be figure 8

Just to name a few : (I have not tried any but )

At the upper end of that budget in Tube ,,,,things like the Lauten Audio Atlantis FC-387 or the Mojave Audio MA-300. or Miktek-CV3

Then things like AKG C414 XLII or even an all in one stereo mic that can be set M/S itself like AT 4050ST

just some thoughts to ponder

KevWind at Soundcloud
Old 01-26-2021, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Shure KSM44A for USA made.

There are many excellent mics from other countries, AKG, Microtech Gefell, etc.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Here's some to look at:

http://barbaricamplification.com/microphones/
http://jjaudiomic.com/About-us.php
https://advancedaudio.ca/collections/tube-microphones
https://mojaveaudio.com/microphones/

Last edited by DukeX; 01-26-2021 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I think I have a good recommendation for you. A few weeks ago I got a pair of Austrian Audio 818's and I'm very happy. These will replace my 414 XLS pair that I use often.
Wow, they must be awesome mics, considering how much you like your 414's. Would love to hear more about them sometime.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:50 PM

I’d take a look at the Vanguard V13, a multipattern tube mic made in SoCal for under $1000. (At least, the website says that they’re assembled in California; the parts may be imported.) I bought a V13 a year ago and I couldn’t be happier with it. It has a nice presence that sits well at the front of the mix, but it’s very smooth and creamy.
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert

Last edited by nightchef; 01-26-2021 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 01-27-2021, 01:07 AM
Charter Member

Hi Bob,

My advice would be to give Sweetwater Sound ((800) 222-4700) and Vintage King (866-724-9031) and maybe Full Compass (800-356-5844) phone calls and ask them for their advice.

I can understand your desire to buy a domestic made microphone, but if you decide to look at others, there are some excellent choices out there.

For example, I have been using Audio Technica AT4050 microphones for years. I have a pair of them, and I have used them to record three CDs of acoustic piano in a church going right to a Tascam compact digital recorder. The quality of these recordings is excellent, yet you can buy an AT4050 for $700.

I have used these mics for guitar recording and they sound great, as well.

But the people in the business know what the best buys are. You might see what they say.

- Glenn
Old 01-27-2021, 01:27 AM

I have the AT4050ST which does the mid side thing by itself. I also use it as a mono cardiod mic. My reasoning was that if you want a broad pickup pattern, you probably also want a stereo spread. Plus I loved the way it sounded on Doug Young's recordings.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
I'd like to add an LDC to my mic collection that has multi-pattern capability
solid state, transformer-less or vacuum tube with power supply.
Would like to buy made in USA and willing to spend up to $1,500.
IF Built in the U.S.A is big on your priority list you should check out Lawson microphones.
Most microphones built in the USA use a lot of parts from overseas. Especially the most important part...the Capsule.
There is one company that makes their own capsules in the USA,
Lawson Microphones. And the reviews on them are nice. However they do use Other parts that are made over seas such as their Lundahl transformer. This part is made in Sweden. I am sure there are other parts as well. But I do not think there is another USA company that makes their own capsule.
Typically a U-47 style microphone is renowned as a vocal mic. However, I have heard many a nice acoustic guitar recording with u-47's.
The Lawson L47MPII Vacuum Tube mic also meets your requirement of multi pattern. In fact it has an Infinitely Variable Multi-Pattern, plus a cardiod only switch. The infinite Variable multi pattern means you can go between Cardios, omni and figure 8 into wide cardiod, hyper cardiod and more. This might give you lots of options on how you mic your guitar and how much proximity you can add or take away.
The one area that jumps out of your list of requirements is its price at $2195
I have not heard this microphone in person myself. So I can not make personal recommendation..only that I have heard nice things about it. And that it meets you USA requirement.
https://www.lawsonmicrophones.com/product-page/l47mp
Old 01-27-2021, 05:04 AM
Charter Member

Wow, such great replies here, thanks so much.

Assembled in the USA or another free world country is my preference on origin, nuff said. So there are LOTS of choices.

The Austrian Audio mics are probably front runners right now. The design and pedigree of the mics and the price make them look very attractive. But so many excellent choices to choose from.
Froggy Bottom H-12 (Adi/EIR)
Robinson 12 Fret SS Dread (Spruce/Mahogany)
Eastman 810CE (Spruce/Maple archtop)
Old 01-27-2021, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Ear Trumpet Labs dot com

Baby #01
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Full-size Full-Scale Baby #4

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued till a discussion turns silent doesn't mean you have convinced anyone…
Old 01-28-2021, 02:28 PM

Another vote here for Austrian Audio. Did a comparison with my 70s C414 EB - they are simply awesome.

Pre-War Guitars D28, Merrill C28, Merrill OM28, Merrill OM18, Martin D18 (1948), Martin O18K (1929), Martin 017 (1934), Gibson J45 (1943)
mandolin family, dobro, weissenborn, lap steel, 5-string banjo
pickups: Dazzo, Ultra Tonic, Mimesis Kudos, Schatten HFN
internal mics: DPA 4061
preamps: SunnAudio MS-2, EA X6, Grace Felix, ToneDexter, RedEye, Fishman Platinum Pro EQ
QSC TM 16, K8.2, K12.2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD