The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-22-2018, 08:00 PM

Default Maple Street Guitars

Not one to be terribly gushy, but: Lindsey Petsch took time out of his day running the store to learn me his technique for stringing a slot head. No extra charges, etc. Great store, super selection of very nice guitars, and the customer service in my limited experience can't be beat. Do they try to match the on line only sellers? Nope, but they will work with you. You can buy a guitar, noodle with it for two days, and bring it back no questions asked. I tested that and replaced what I bought with something that worked better. Cash or a debit card get's an instant 3% which helps reduce the tax pain. If you're hankerin for a 1971 D-28S, they've got a well loved and opened up example. Please buy it before I do. What a nice box for comfortable playing and blue grass.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:18 PM

They’re great people. The first time I ever played a really nice acoustic (a Collings), was at that shop. I was just 14 or so and they were bringing me all kinds of stuff.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:33 PM

Default Maple Street

Yes, great people and a great place. If you're in Atlanta you owe it to yourself to stop in.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 05-23-2018, 02:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobean39 View Post
They’re great people. The first time I ever played a really nice acoustic (a Collings), was at that shop. I was just 14 or so and they were bringing me all kinds of stuff.
I wasn't 14, but that is where I bought my first Martin . Super helpful staff in the friendliest music store I have ever visited.

Col
Old 05-23-2018, 03:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmackie View Post
Not one to be terribly gushy, but: Lindsey Petsch took time out of his day running the store to learn me his technique for stringing a slot head. No extra charges, etc. Great store, super selection of very nice guitars, and the customer service in my limited experience can't be beat. Do they try to match the on line only sellers? Nope, but they will work with you. You can buy a guitar, noodle with it for two days, and bring it back no questions asked. I tested that and replaced what I bought with something that worked better. Cash or a debit card get's an instant 3% which helps reduce the tax pain. If you're hankerin for a 1971 D-28S, they've got a well loved and opened up example. Please buy it before I do. What a nice box for comfortable playing and blue grass.
Was his method the same as this?

Old 05-23-2018, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
I wasn't 14, but that is where I bought my first Martin . Super helpful staff in the friendliest music store I have ever visited.

Col
When I saw the guy playing guitar, I saw he had long fingernails. I decided at that point that this was cool and I was going to grow out my nails and play fingerstyle. I had never really seen someone play fingerstyle up close.

Since that weekend, I've had long fingernails on my right hand. It was quite and interesting trip for me. Exposed me to fingerstyle guitar and high end acoustics for the first time.

I remember playing that Collins and I was blown away. I'd never heard anything like it. I had only played Guitar Center guitars before. The fit and finish were just so different. Even to my 14 year old hands.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

Maple Street is the place I always take my guitars for setups, pickup installs etc. Very knowledgeable, always friendly. They take care of their very nice collection of guitars, but will bring you any guitar you want to try and allow you to play it as much as you want.

I bought a Martin 000-15M there earlier this year, and while I could have gotten the same model for a little less online, I was able to play this one and paid for it with a debit card for a further discount. It was worth it and Lindsey was great to work with as are the rest of the staff. Super folks with a great collection of acoustics and electrics. Congrats on your new guitar!

Terry
Old 05-23-2018, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

Definitely one of my favorite places in Atlanta.

Super nice owners, staff, and inventory.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:08 AM

When I moved down to ATL a few years back I was so happy to find Maple Street Guitars. They are a full service shop that supports every level, including boutique. They always have killer new and used stuff. They are staffed with professionals that are friendly and want to help you on your journey.
Scott (cheer)
Old 05-23-2018, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Bought my Schertler Jam 400 from Lindsey at Maple Street. Great folks and the Jam 400 is still the best acoustic amp I've heard.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

I was looking, I thought, for a Collings City Limits, found one on their site. Spoke at length with Lindsey, great guy. They shipped it. It turns out it wasn't for me, I sent it back. They asked for feedback on the guitar, but there was no question as to taking it back. They are very easy to work with an I would gladly buy from them again.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 05-23-2018, 09:40 AM

With the 000-15SM, going from side to side, short to long, and wrapping to the outside worked well. He uses a Z shaped kink in the string to secure before trimming and winding. Removed saddle for bridge oiling, used white brillo on fretboard and bridge.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:45 AM

Bought my first Goodall there after comparing it with several other Goodalls and a Collings or two.

Great owners and staff.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 05-23-2018, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

The folks at Maple Street are excellent. Lindsey has always been helpful and very responsive. I am also impressed that when you buy from them they send some extra goodies/swag but also a very detailed invoice with specs/setup info/strings info etc....lots of places don't do that. They just go the extra little distance. Highly recommend these folks.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:09 PM

I have nothing but good things to say about Maple Street.
Nice people and fair prices.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion