The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-22-2018, 04:06 PM

You can keep it at my house..........I have a big house, plenty of room. I will not get in my way, not a problem.

I want one!!!!!

Very nice guitar.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
Hi SKYHIGH,

Happy new j 45 day. Do yourself a favor—keep this one!
I told wife I’m keeping this one. She just laughed and walked away and I don’t understand why...

Last edited by SKYHIGH; 05-22-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:17 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Sweet! A good J-45 is a special beast. I too have a 2018...after stupidly selling my first 45. Not making that mistake again.

Don’t remember what strings came on it...but I didn’t like them. Have experimented with lots and liked Martin Retros on it for a long time. Recently tried some Santa Cruz Mid Tension...and LOVE ‘em.

Enjoy that great guitar.

Old 05-22-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHIGH View Post
Nom nom.

There’s just something about opening a guitar case to a beautiful sunburst.

Enjoy!
Old 05-22-2018, 05:35 PM

Burst looks a bit bright on this one, but not sure if that's the camera. Absolutely beautiful guitar. I just traded my 2018 J45 , and while I can't say I regret it because I really love the other guitar (Wildwood AJ), I'm definitely already making plans to get another 2018 J45. I'm thinking by the time I've saved enough, it'll be time for the 2019s and I'll be able to get a good deal on one, a floor model or something from a sponsor.. who knows.. these things have a way of sorting themselves out

Anyway, thanks for sharing..!! Super-GAS inducing post to be sure. for me anyway.

Another edit: just reviewed and upon closer inspection of the thread, my comment re: "burst looking a bit bright", was because I was only seeing the one pic that loaded, which is the one in its case. Upon seeing all of the pics, I'd say it was just the lighting/camera, and the other pics look right in line with what I'd expect. Beautiful guitar. hope you enjoy it and as someone else said.... don't let that one go!

A picture of the one who, sadly, left my house recently - but determined to get another one in here soon!

Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku

Last edited by v32 finish; 05-22-2018 at 06:36 PM. Reason: spelling, pic, etc.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:41 PM

Great looking guitar. I think Gibson's J45s have the best looking bursts. Definitely have been gassing for one for a long time.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:32 AM

Congrats! Love the pics!

Mine is a 2018, and I too think mine is special. Maybe there is magic dust on the Gibsons being produced this year? I'll second RevRoy and say that Santa Cruz Mid Tensions are a match made in heaven for this guitar. They give you really good lows and change the high from brittle to strong. I'll add that the new brown cases are stunning and a good match.

I have to say that I'm no singer, but the J-45 is the only guitar that makes me bellow out songs...flat and pitchy in all of my glory! lol
Old 05-23-2018, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

What a beauty! That sunburst is stunning and I'm sure it sounds great as well. Enjoy it.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Congrats! Love the pics!

Mine is a 2018, and I too think mine is special. Maybe there is magic dust on the Gibsons being produced this year? I'll second RevRoy and say that Santa Cruz Mid Tensions are a match made in heaven for this guitar. They give you really good lows and change the high from brittle to strong. I'll add that the new brown cases are stunning and a good match.

I have to say that I'm no singer, but the J-45 is the only guitar that makes me bellow out songs...flat and pitchy in all of my glory! lol
Wow Santa Cruz Strings are $18 a pop. They last? Any recommendations as to where you buy these? My usual vendor does not seem to carry them.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Wow Santa Cruz Strings are $18 a pop. They last? Any recommendations as to where you buy these? My usual vendor does not seem to carry them.
I put my first set on early January. I replaced that set at the beginning of May, so 4 full months. Well worth it. The only reason I changed them is because the high E snapped. I'm a little concerned about that because they didn't really even show signs of wear, but hey, 4 months is great and the tone was still alive and present.

I had been replacing John Pearse 710s every 3-4 weeks, so even if I replaced them once a month for $7 a pop, that's $28. So, I've saved $10 by switching to Santa Cruz srings this year lol.

Try Chicago Music Exchange on reverb.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:48 AM

P.S.:

Is your finish cloudy, or show "arm rest cloudiness" already? I'm having a really tough time with the finish and it looks like a general haze over the entire guitar.

I'm not SUPER concerned because I'm just trying to enjoy the guitar and not worry about aesthetics, but it does concern me that the finish already looks like crap in the stand haha.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
P.S.:

Is your finish cloudy, or show "arm rest cloudiness" already? I'm having a really tough time with the finish and it looks like a general haze over the entire guitar.

I'm not SUPER concerned because I'm just trying to enjoy the guitar and not worry about aesthetics, but it does concern me that the finish already looks like crap in the stand haha.
I remember you saying this earlier...so I checked on mine (NOS 2017 J45 Standard) and it's not hazy where I rest my arm. Did you or have you put any polish on it at all? I'd love to see a pic if you have one.

Also speaking of strings for the J45, over on the Gibson forum, I ran across a post in which people were raving about: John Pearse 610LM Silk and Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings, Light/Medium

The description really intrigues me: Our triple annealed mild steel is pulled through a draw plate to make an extra skinny core. Onto this is wound a silk multifilament which cushions a phospor bronze winding. This is NOT a silk and steel set. The natural edginess of the phosphor bronze winding is tempered by the silk cushion to produce a tone that studio players everywhere are likening to our 80/20 bronze sets after they have been played in.

Anyone try these on their J45?
G7th Capos
Old 05-23-2018, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
P.S.:

No not yet. However I’m all about that getting this nitro to age so haze is what I want.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:14 AM

Totally not intended to insult the Gibson folks!
But if there is one thing IMO, that Gibson did right through the coarse of time, they
have alway made outstanding "Burst" I have never seen more lovely tops from the 30's
onward on there acoustics including OP's new guitar, enjoy that sweet looking guitar.

Martin OOO-28
Martin J-40
Martin D-28
Martin D-16h on loan
Old 05-23-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
No not yet. However I’m all about that getting this nitro to age so haze is what I want.
You know, I sort of feel that way too, which is why I don't care so much. If this were a Martin or Taylor, I'd be freaking out, but this guitar looks odd shiny and new lol.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion