The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-11-2017, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMansGuitar View Post
Believe me! When I played the 1930 OM-45 Deluxe as they were preparing to make the Authentic version, I told EVERYONE with ears they should copy that neck exactly and put it on every OM they make. It is the best guitar neck I have ever had in my hands. I begged them to put it on the OM-28 Authentic.

I was also in the room when they stuck a gizmo onto the neck of the OM-45 Deluxe, which adheres to a neck and the displacement of the material hugging the neck reproduces a negative relief of the exact profile, for about three frets worth at a time.

And I was among those amazed to see how lopsided the neck was, with much more mass on the bass side and a quick slope to the treble side, and the V was not in the center of the neck but was offset from the volute and heel. Only after seeing that and then handling the neck again was it made obvious why it was so comfortable.

And then they put the gizmo on Mike Seeger's 1931 OM-28. That was so lopsided with such a bass side bulge it looked like the Elephant Man. And other prewar Martins had similar lopsided carving.

But in the end, they only tried to replicate this on the OM-45A 1930, while the 28 gets a symmetrical neck, as do all the Authentics, with the V directly in the center, like a modern guitar, and only how shallow or thick the barrel is determines the approximation of the original neck.
This is great information and history Spoon. It makes perfect sense to me why a neck should not be perfectly symmetrical, given the angle of our hand and how our fingers curl around the neck as we play the guitar. But then they'd have to carve the opposite bias for lefty players and that is too much extra work and time for a production builder like Martin.

Martin necks unfortunately have always been an issue for me, and I sold my OM-28 Authentic in part because of that. Pretty much the only Martin neck I like is the MLO.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 03-11-2017, 10:11 AM

To me, this is the most interesting Martin to come out of Winter NAMM. I don't give a hoot about model names. It's the woods, construction and neck that appeal to me.

I have had the pleasure of playing vintage Martins, but I will never be in the position to buy one. And I haven't played an Authentic with a neck I'm comfortable with.

I like that these special models give me a chance to try something different in person, without the risk of commissioning a Custom model built on conjecture and dreams.

I look forward to a chance to try it out, and see if it is worth it to me, a simple strumming/fingerpicking singer, compared to, say, a straight D-18.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
"Outlaw"?
Looking forward to "Housebreaker", Kidnapper", "Car-thief" and "Murderer" models.

BTW - Weber brought out some Reso guitars named "Renegade" and such.

Why call a guitar after criminals?
Or maybe even the cheap laminate model the "Parking Ticket."
Old 03-12-2017, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Have you tried to buy a 1931 OM-28? Not everyone has $25 to 50 THOUSAND dollars with which to buy a guitar.
I actually owned the OM-28 31 as it was the easiest authentic neck for me to play, but not as comfortable as the MLO neck.. I sold it when I ordered the Outlaw.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:30 AM

This may be the best possible specs currently offered for any D-18 variant. Easy to play, sounds killer.

Last edited by kiva238; 09-07-2017 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
As explained in the review it is basically a D-18 Authentic with white binding, herringbone trim, and the modern High Performance neck.

OMG. That's my holy grail dreadnaught. Too bad I'm not willing to spend $7K on ANY guitar.

(well, if I won the LOTTERY....)
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 08-30-2017, 08:00 PM

Don't forget the adjustable truss rod!

It is kind of like a D-18A with lots of the objections removed and many of the preferred and better options added.

I hadn't heard about this guitar until recently and wonder why there isn't more buzz about it.

From what I'm finding, a new one will actually set you back just over $5500 out the door. Real money for sure, but considering the full specs and the fact that only a limited 100 are being made, it may not be so outrageous a price for a lifetime guitar.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:27 PM

So, I take it "untucked" bracing means the X braces and tone bars are not tucked into the ribbon lining?

If this is the case then it could be a problem down the road in a high humidity environment.

Hide glue can soften up in a high humidity environment.

Better keep a few dessicant bags in the case and monitor the humidity closely if you live in Hawaii, Seattle or some such place.
Recording King RO227
Fender FR-50
Baby Taylor (spruce)
Blueridge BR 180
Eastman E10 SS/v
Old 05-23-2018, 09:33 AM

Sounds great, like a D-18GE that’s opened up to give it a little more fuller tone than when it first began singing.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
This is great information and history Spoon. It makes perfect sense to me why a neck should not be perfectly symmetrical, given the angle of our hand and how our fingers curl around the neck as we play the guitar. But then they'd have to carve the opposite bias for lefty players and that is too much extra work and time for a production builder like Martin.

Martin necks unfortunately have always been an issue for me, and I sold my OM-28 Authentic in part because of that. Pretty much the only Martin neck I like is the MLO.
Very interesting. I assume that those necks were hand carved, but given the variability from neck to neck it is not clear how much of this shape was intentional and how much might be random and due to other factors like fatigue of the carver. Interestingly, as asymmetrical neck has been a key feature of Takamine for quite some time now:
Quote:
Is There A Perfect Neck Shape?
A century ago, the wide classical shape with a flat fingerboard was the only shape considered “proper,” but we’ve become more open-minded since then. Some players feel you can never be too thin, while others feel it’s far better to be fat. It’s that personal taste thing again.

Takamine necks have an asymmetrical “C” shape—an ergonomic contour slightly thinner on the bass side of the neck so that it fits the natural shape of your hand. Overall, it’s thin from front to back and medium in width, with a gentle fingerboard arch. Perfectly comfortable.

Design Features
Asymmetrical Neck

Improved playability for everyone.
The neck profile of a Takamine® guitar is offset—like an asymmetrical letter “C”—slightly thinner on the bass side, so that it fits the natural shape of your hand. This improves playability by reducing the distance the wrist must move when the thumb is moved toward the first string, resulting in a comfortable feel and an exceptional playing experience.
Some like it, some don't ....
Old 05-23-2018, 11:50 AM

[QUOTE=OneMansGuitar;5262964] When I played the 1930 OM-45 Deluxe as they were preparing to make the Authentic version, I told EVERYONE with ears they should copy that neck exactly and put it on every OM they make. It is the best guitar neck I have ever had in my hands. I begged them to put it on the OM-28 Authentic......And I was among those amazed to see how lopsided the neck was, with much more mass on the bass side and a quick slope to the treble side, and the V was not in the center of the neck but was offset from the volute and heel. Only after seeing that and then handling the neck again was it made obvious why it was so comfortable.
/QUOTE]

Very interesting!
Old 06-29-2018, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Smile

Sweet, soft, loud, expressive, bluesey, bluegrassey, singer/songwriter and pretty sounding. Can’t say enough. The neck is a delight, the build is beautiful, the set up was spot on, stays in tune. It is also beautiful to look at.

Last edited by Kelly77; 07-02-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:50 AM

Everything. Kelly77. Wrote.

I've now had mine for 3 weeks, and it is a truly great, complete guitar, in all respects.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
MSRP $7K - kinda pricey for something with the Style 17 designation/construction, don'cha think...?
Ha Outlaw indeed.. Highway Robbery. Im sure its a nice axe Just a tad more than this old cowboy is willing
to part with.. I Suppose im a bit envious. Im not willing to pay for
what is essentially a d-18 with an adi top. I love adi tops and this would be An ideal dred to own for me. But it would get more
love if it were 2500. all this" torrified authentic" hype is just that. ..Sigh...
Whats the difference between the outlaw and this model aside from the fancy binding.
https://www.elderly.com/products/mar...op-guitar-case

Last edited by varmonter; 06-24-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:59 AM

I'd love to own one of these. have heard amazing things about them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
d-18 authentic, martin, outlaw