The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-23-2018, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default D'addario pro string winder

Got me one of these: http://www.accessories.daddario.com/...Winder__Guitar

Reading reviews some people said that the clippers didn't clip well on the plain E and B strings, but it worked fine for me. I needed to loosen the screw that holds the peg winder for it to spin freely. I like that it's a 3-in-1...peg winder with a built-in clipper and bridge pin puller. There is a potential for the hard plastic of the bridge pin puller to scratch the bridge if I'm not careful. Most of the time, when I loosen the strings I can easily pull out the pins with my fingers.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 05-23-2018, 06:52 AM

I used to use that string winder, but the plastic winder was scratching the buttons of my tuners, so I quickly replaced it with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I still use the string cutter but won't let the rest of it near my tuners.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 05-23-2018, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Thanks SoCalSurf. I checked out the Nomad and it looked really good except that there is no pin puller. Guess one tool doesn't do it all.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 05-23-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSurf View Post
I used to use that string winder, but the plastic winder was scratching the buttons of my tuners,....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaren View Post
.... There is a potential for the hard plastic of the bridge pin puller to scratch the bridge...
It's not a matter of if , but when. And the headstock, and .........
Old 05-23-2018, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
It's not a matter of if , but when. And the headstock, and .........
Well, I needed a new string cutter.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:06 AM

I have these and have been pretty happy, haven't noticed any scratches.

However I think the cutting edges are wearing out way too fast. Hard to say but I'd guess 25 changes or so and it's getting harder to get a clean cut.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:07 AM

I'm surprised at some of the feedback; I've never had an issue with it scratching either the bridge or tuners. Given the relative hardness of each of those compared to the plastic construction of the puller and winder I wouldn't think that should be a significant concern. That being said, I've notice it starting to squeak when winding, but maybe I just need to adjust the screw tension and lubricate it for good measure. It's not the worlds best product, but very functional and I'm happy with it.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 05-23-2018, 08:10 AM

Used one for years, never had an issue. I’d like it to easily cut a bit closer to the tuner, and would certainly like to know if a similar product is better for some reason, but I have no real complaints and it gets used every change.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:06 AM

To clarify: the most pronounced scratches were evident in my Gotoh 510 tuners in both gold (on my custom Taylor) and ebony (on my Lowden). I didn't think it was worth the damage, even if it was just cosmetic or aesthetic. I'm glad that others haven't experienced this but that was a deal breaker to me. The second string winder one I bought has been excellent with no impact on the tuners.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 05-23-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSurf View Post
To clarify: the most pronounced scratches were evident in my Gotoh 510 tuners in both gold (on my custom Taylor) and ebony (on my Lowden). I didn't think it was worth the damage, even if it was just cosmetic or aesthetic. I'm glad that others haven't experienced this but that was a deal breaker to me. The second string winder one I bought has been excellent with no impact on the tuners.
For me, it’s not even worth the risk of the damage, much less actual damage.

I’m not impaired enough at this point to need it.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 05-23-2018, 09:49 AM

I tried those years ago. It pinched my hand too often while I was winding my strings. The cutter was subpar as well. A good pair of Diagonal cutters works much better.

I use Dunlop Roadpro winders now. They're decent and the price is right.

I wish I could find the Yamaha branded winder I had years ago, which had a flat rectangular handle. That thing was perfect.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

I keep one in my gig bag for string breaks during performances. It works great for that purpose, however I wouldn't want to use one for all my sting changes.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 05-23-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
Used one for years, never had an issue. I’d like it to easily cut a bit closer to the tuner, and would certainly like to know if a similar product is better for some reason, but I have no real complaints and it gets used every change.
These are the finest little clippers you can buy, from the finest (German) pliers/cutters/clippers manufacturer - Knipex

$24, and worth every penny.

https://www.amazon.com/KNIPEX-76-81-.../dp/B005EXOCGG

These also work great to pry bridgepins. If you use the string as a "cushion" when you're using the saddle as a fulcrum, you risk zero damage to the bridge or saddle. Basically this technique:

Last edited by HodgdonExtreme; 05-23-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:59 AM

I use the MusicNomad Winder. As for strings cutters, I keep a small nail clipper handy just for that. Nail clippers are cheap and disposable.

My Lowden has a pinless bridge so no need for pin pullers. With pin-bridge guitars, I used to just reach into the soundhole and push the stubborn pins up from inside. No, I don't change strings one at a time. They get cut off at the same time.

Next up, Frank's Crank with the marbled acrylic handle. I hope I score a nice one.

Last edited by Jabberwocky; 05-23-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:03 AM

I had one of those and didnt like it. I now have an electric winder and love it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion