The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-23-2008, 08:13 PM

i think part of the reason that it is termed "moon spruce" (aside from the daunting tales of virgins rubbing woodies) is the coloration of the wood...it is extremely pale, and I could imagine a fallen log looking much like a full moon laying on the ground. i've only had a chance to play 1 guitar with moon spruce (an r. taylor) and really loved the complexity of overtones...it was much like englemann but less "whispy"...that's the best way my ear can describe it...but i loved it. if i can swing another high-end acoustic, i believe it will be an r. taylor with moon spruce...i mean, why not?
Old 04-23-2008, 08:44 PM

Default Swiss Alpine Moon Spruce

I'm enjoying the sidebar on Swiss Alpine Moon Spruce. Here's a "serious" note however:

One day I played 7 R. Taylor Style 1 guitars. The one that was CLEARLY the best to my ears was the one with the Swiss Alpine Moon Spruce top. It also quickly sold a few days later! Since then I've played 2 other R. Taylors with tops of Swiss Alpine Moon Spruce. Both were rather special. One by the way was from a forum member who lives here in Oregon. He was gracious enough to meet me at a Subway restaurant and allow me to play his. Ah, the nice people on the AGF!

I'm a BIG fan of Swiss Alpine Moon Spruce~!

p.s. I especially enjoyed the fragrance of the hand rubbed oils that still linger to this day! On that note... back to the fun and frivolity!

Collings; Taylor; Don Grosh electric; Collings Electric; Taylor K4
Old 04-23-2008, 09:25 PM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post
(In reality, "Moon Spruce" (ie "Alpine Spruce") is the same species as "European Spruce" aka "Italian Spruce" aka "German Spruce" aka "Bosnian Spruce" aka...pick your European country. A link to a site disusing the issue;
http://www.lutherie.net/eurospruce.html)
However, the article also suggests that "German Spruce" may be, among other things, Englemann shipped full circle from the US through German wood purveyors and back to US manufacturers...

Oh, it makes me wonder...

RR

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 04-23-2008, 10:12 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
However, the article also suggests that "German Spruce" may be, among other things, Englemann shipped full circle from the US through German wood purveyors and back to US manufacturers...

Oh, it makes me wonder...

RR
Yep. Been noted before, here and on other forum sites. It DOES make one wonder.

People hear what they expect to hear ...which is why double blind studies would be very interesting.
Some time back when a similar topic came up over at the Acoustic Guitar Magazine forum, one of the "audiophiles" in on the forum noted that one of the high end stereo/audiophile magazines had invited several established reviewers in to compare several "high end" cables.
The reviewers were told when the cables were being switched, and what they were switching to.
At the end, the results were tallied..and the "higher end" cables scored better than the "lower end", with in depth comments about how they affected the output of the systems.

Turns out that the cables were never switched at all!!

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 04-23-2008, 10:16 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyjack View Post
I'm enjoying the sidebar on Swiss Alpine Moon Spruce. Here's a "serious" note however:

One day I played 7 R. Taylor Style 1 guitars. The one that was CLEARLY the best to my ears was the one with the Swiss Alpine Moon Spruce top. It also quickly sold a few days later! Since then I've played 2 other R. Taylors with tops of Swiss Alpine Moon Spruce. Both were rather special. One by the way was from a forum member who lives here in Oregon. He was gracious enough to meet me at a Subway restaurant and allow me to play his. Ah, the nice people on the AGF!

I'm a BIG fan of Swiss Alpine Moon Spruce~!

p.s. I especially enjoyed the fragrance of the hand rubbed oils that still linger to this day! On that note... back to the fun and frivolity!
No doubt, Taylor's "moon spruce" is a wonderful wood.
I think that Taylor happened to come across some wood from a specific dealer /area/climate that makes good guitars.
This wood happens to have a "story" behind it.
Where my incredulity kicks in is in the attributing the quality of this wood the moon.
I suspect that somewhere out there there is some wonderful Engelmann, Adirondac, Sitka, other "European" spruces that have just as much potential as this spruce..........but not the story.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 04-24-2008, 06:23 AM

I've located a particularly fine specimen of Engelmann spruce growing in British Columbia and have arranged to have it harvested at full moon during next year's equinox with the ceremonial participation of seven disrobed maidens from the nearby Beaver Indian Tribe (Danezaa or Dunne Za as they call themselves in their native language). There will be no artificial light allowed that night. The beavers will of course be amply illuminated by the full moonlight. To cover all bases, rare recordings of European howls as performed by a quartet of wolves that harmonize well together will be played through a pair of Daedalus speakers thirty minutes before the tree is felled. I am confident that for all the trouble, I will be rewarded with the finest sounding spruce ever to come from this continent and fully expect it to be the equal of Europe's finest ceremoniously harvested spruce.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:46 AM

Quote:
I've located a particularly fine specimen of Engelmann spruce growing in British Columbia and have arranged to have it harvested at full moon during next year's equinox with the ceremonial participation of seven disrobed maidens from the nearby Beaver Indian Tribe (Danezaa or Dunne Za as they call themselves in their native language). There will be no artificial light allowed that night. The beavers will of course be amply illuminated by the full moonlight. To cover all bases, rare recordings of European howls as performed by a quartet of wolves that harmonize well together will be played through a pair of Daedalus speakers thirty minutes before the tree is felled. I am confident that for all the trouble, I will be rewarded with the finest sounding spruce ever to come from this continent and fully expect it to be the equal of Europe's finest ceremoniously harvested spruce.
That was classic. Thanks for the chuckle this morning!
Old 04-25-2008, 12:04 AM

Default I've located...

I've located 8 spruce trees in southern Alaska that I've made special arrangements to have harvested.

They'll be cut down by 8 middle aged fat guys with hairy backs wearing "wife beater" tee shirts. Each man will proceed to tell a story from "back when I was in high school....." while they each drink a half case of Lucky Lager beer from stubby bottles. The trees will ONLY be harvested at night when there's a full moon, and ONLY when there was a NASCAR race earlier that day. The sound the guitars produce has often been called "*****in' and "knarly".

Collings; Taylor; Don Grosh electric; Collings Electric; Taylor K4
Old 04-25-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyjack View Post
I've located 8 spruce trees in southern Alaska that I've made special arrangements to have harvested.

They'll be cut down by 8 middle aged fat guys with hairy backs wearing "wife beater" tee shirts. Each man will proceed to tell a story from "back when I was in high school....." while they each drink a half case of Lucky Lager beer from stubby bottles. The trees will ONLY be harvested at night when there's a full moon, and ONLY when there was a NASCAR race earlier that day. The sound the guitars produce has often been called "*****in' and "knarly".
You sure it's Lucky Lager? I could swear it was Burgie beer or The Generic Beer that comes in the all white can that just say's BEER in black?
Taylor "04" K22CE-L30 Koa/Koa
Taylor "06" 914CE fall limited Coco/Engel.
Baby Taylor
Collings "01" D3 EIR/Sitka
Martin "1939" 0-17 Mahog.
Ovation "86" Anniversary
Gibson R7 Goldtop
Carvin DC400
Carvin strat
Epiphone MIJ Fujigen Elite Les Paul

http://www.reverbnation.com:80/marcocatracchia
Old 04-25-2008, 09:38 AM

I have a ritual whereby I attempt to invoke magic by emptying a packet of Swiss Miss Instant Cocoa into a 0.5 l German beer mug, filled with mountain grown coffee, and swiftly consuming the contents before attempting to play guitar. This ritual is about as effective in improving my sound, as anything else I've tried, so it must really work!

Really, I think, Moon Spruce is just another gimmick.
The best top wood available is Howard Hughes's secret stash of Goose Spruce, which has been seasoning in the basement of the Mormon Tabernacle for the past sixty years in constant exposure to the sweet sonic vibrations from the choir and pipe organ.
Hofner HF11 (stolen from me, Dec. 2013)
Lace Acela (stolen from me, Dec. 2013)

Hondo Banjo
Epiphone Masterbuilt banjo (stolen from me, Dec. 2013)
First Act Dulcimer
Oscar Schmidt Silvertone Autoharp
La Suprema Ukulele
First Act Lap Harp

I'll keep buying guitars, until I find one I know how to play!
Old 04-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

I'm still waiting for my B. Taekann guitar with Ukranian Whitehorn Spruce...

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 04-25-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
which is why double blind studies would be very interesting.
Unfortunately, I can't play blindfolded.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Where my incredulity kicks in is in the attributing the quality of this wood the moon.
Well, it couldn't *possibly* be anything else. Like perhaps stiffness, density, uniformity, young's modulus of elasticity, or other physical factors.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:32 AM

Default I can't help myself

While looking at old threads on moon spruce I found this one. Marketing hype? Pagan Ritual? Straight line?

Nature (392, 665-666 16 April 1998) published an article titled Tree stem diameters fluctuate with tide. There have been others too, but there is some back and forth as well.

And of course, tide fluctuates with phase of the moon.

Maybe the old guys realized that if you harvest in winter when the sap content is low to start with and at the phase of the moon when it is lowest, as they do, there will be a correlation between lowest sap content and highest tonal properties?

Just thinking out loud here.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Perennially Maladroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakland View Post
Maybe the old guys realized that if you harvest in winter when the sap content is low to start with...
I always thought high sap content referred to threads where pointless arguments ensue endlessly on hot-button topics where no agreement is feasible.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion