The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-22-2023, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Default Build a PedalBoard

I am buying a few pedals and was thinking of buying a pedal board. then it got me thinking that maybe I can do something nice with wood instead. Since it is for my acoustic, the aesthetic may be good. Does anyone have any recommendations, plans, or even examples of pedal boards they have built?
2017 Taylor 714ce
Old 03-22-2023, 07:46 AM

Back in the day I would just velcro pedals to a piece of plywood that I painted black and routed out a hole to act as a handle. But if you want aesthetics and something nice looking and perhaps a case that latches shut then I'd suggest sitting down with pencil and paper and drafting it up first.

I have a purchased one now and I like it because it has 'bars' that the pedals fit on so that I can zip tie them down. You could do the same with holes in wood too. I only mention it because I got tired of using velcro as it gets old and doesn't stick well any more.
Old 03-22-2023, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

This was my first DIY alder wood board that I converted from an amp stand i made. Hard to tell from photo angle but is slants up at about a 15 degree angle I also just used 2 " wide velcro to attach pedals to board . Drilled holes for the power cables to under then back up for power supply

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-22-2023, 08:18 AM

I made one out of nice wood, in the form of a suitcase, with a slanting lid that closed and handles so it was portable. Just open the lid, plug it in, and the pedals are fully accessible. Way too heavy when loaded, so I used just the mounting board with pedals for a while.

Then I made that mounting board smaller to fit inside one of those cheap plastic suitcases (that look like metal but are not) from Harbor Freight. So it's portable, cheap and light, but not pretty.

I used hook and loop straps to hold the individual pedals down, but they need something holding them in place when you're lifting the "suitcase" by the handle. A large piece of foam is doing the trick now, but there's probably a better solution. Routing the wiring also required some experiments and rigging.
Old 03-22-2023, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Instead of ‘hook & loop’ Velcro-style fastenings, I would strongly recommend 3M Dual-lock which utilises miniature, interlocking plastic ‘mushrooms’, and is far more secure than hook & loop. I replaced Velcro fastenings on my board with 3M Dual-lock some time ago, and I’ve found it a substantial improvement.

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/acce...l-boards-p4039

McNally OM-32 (Sitka/EIR) (2024)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 03-28-2023, 07:03 AM

I'm going to buy some materials today for a roughly 36" board I need for my acoustic stuff.

The last one I built is for my electric rig.

Started laying out things.

Made it wider in order to accept add'l pedals.
Used some 3M spray 90 to glue the outdoor rug/rubber backing to it.
I used the same material for my acoustic board that is about 16 years old now and never had a problem with anything flying off.

The power supply is undermounted with velcro and I drilled 7/8" holes through the board to accept right angle plugs/daisy chain.

This is the current configuration.
2000 Walnut/Purpleheart/Bol RW "Les Paul"
98 Larrivée C-05 sitka/mahogany florentine.
95 Breedlove SC Cedar/EIRW
Bedell TBCE-18-G

Daedalus Audio C81
Rane AP13
Genz Benz Shenandoah 100
Fishman Loudbox 100 & Acoustic Performer Pro
Boss RC-50
Old 03-28-2023, 07:40 AM

Pedalboards? Seriously? In an ACOUSTIC guitar forum? There's an 'acoustic amplification' forum on this site.
Old 03-28-2023, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
Pedalboards? Seriously? In an ACOUSTIC guitar forum? There's an 'acoustic amplification' forum on this site.
Well this is actually the "Build and Repair" forum and he is talking about "building" a board.

But I take your drift and perhaps might get more replies in Acoustic Amplification or the Electric forum for that matter

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair