The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-29-2020, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Read that Zac Brown is a half step down
Old 06-29-2020, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Another benefit to tuning down is if you have some chord grips that are challenging, they can be easier when you use the capo further up the neck as long as you leave yourself with enough fretboard for the song you are playing. I was recently diagnosed with early onset thumb arthritis in my fretting hand. Tuning down 1/2 to 1 step and using a capo makes it much easier for my left hand. The caveat is to set your guitar up properly for the reduced tension. I am aware of several professional guitarists who use this strategy.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 06-29-2020, 10:20 AM

About 100 years ago, flamenco guitarists used to tune down by one or two half steps to accompany certain singing styles. It’s way too long to explain here in detail, but the basic idea is that, in old recordings, the average singing keys of most tarantas and related styles were A and A sharp, and the older guitarists on those recordings often tuned down their guitars to accompany in what looks like the key of B (but is actually one or two half steps lower).
Old 06-29-2020, 06:45 PM

Another plus (perhaps) for tuning down is to help your guitar's bridge and/or neck if it is old or prone to damage. Now take my Esteban American Legacy (please!!), on that guitar I put the thinnest strings I can find, generally 10s or 11s. If not I would have to drop a full step. I really am worried by the construction and I can see the whole bridge flying out into the next room one day or the fingerboard snapping in two. No joke.

What I usually use is a two-fold process. I drop the tuning by a half step or a full step then I use a capo to bring the guitar back to regular tuning. Why? I have found that lowering the tuning, as stated, makes the strings easier to play while still allowing the strings, in my estimation, to sound fully resonate.

If I am attempting to play a lead, however, I tend to like to drop it a full step because for some reason when I glance down at the fingerboard I "lose my place" but that doesn't seem to happen when I do the full step drop.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 06-30-2020, 02:47 AM

Well I have just tuned down half a step for no other reason that I like the tone of the guitar ,in normal tuning I thought it was just a tad bright , after several string changes to remedy it I found that by tuning down I got the tone I like ,
Old 06-30-2020, 04:11 AM
Charter Member

Because you like the tone is as good a reason as any. And probably better than some.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskyman View Post
I know there are some benefits to tuning down a half step. One is vocal range. I had to do it today for a tune a friend of mine did. It seemed to me that my guitar seemed a bit easier to fret. Is that just my imagination or does the less tension on the strings really help out?

So what are the opinions on the pros and cons of tuning down a half step?
just rethinking this :

One is vocal range. I had to do it today for a tune a friend of mine did.

What key were you seeking I wonder ?

A C shape would give you B -so would a g shape on capo IV. - INT with normal tuning (INT).

An A shape would give you Ab - so would a G shape with capo III - "INT",

A G shape would give you F# - so would Eshape capo II "INT"

An E shape would give you Eb - so would a C shape capo III - INT.

A D shape would give you C# - so would a C shape capo I -INT.

Of course, using CAGED you can find many other positions for just about every key.

I don't really see the advantage.

It seemed to me that my guitar seemed a bit easier to fret.

That's just a matter of set up and/or string gauge, and/or choice of scale length.

...does the less tension on the strings really help out?

Yes it reduces tension which also can cause buzz and reduces the projection and resonance of your guitar, so not sure why that would be a benefit.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:47 PM

I just started learning Mary Had a Little Lamb/SRV which tunes down a half step. I don't play my electric much. At std tuning the strings feel very flexible. A half step down and they feel squirmy. I can't say I like that.

Makes me wonder how a short scale acoustic (OOO?) would feel tuned down.
Rogue Resonator (kindling)
Old 07-03-2020, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

There are a few tunes I love to play that are tuned down a half-step.

My Grand Concert (small OM style) Taylor isn't anything special tuned down, but my jumbo-ish Taylor Grand Symphony is *AMAZING* tuned down.

It just RUMBLES!

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 07-04-2020, 09:32 AM

Another "pro" of tuning down a half step is to move a wolf note if it happens to occur in a particular song a lot.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:19 AM

Neil is tuning down a full step these days.

I do tune down a half or full step for certain tunes to accommodate the high notes I can no longer reach singing, but I don't care for the tonal change in the guitar at all. If I can sing a song in concert pitch, that's what I always prefer.

One song that I play that comes to mind where tuning down sounds OK to me is Stills' 4+20. That D Modal tuning (DADDAD) sounds great for that song.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write