The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 03:53 PM

Bruce, congrats on the violin sale! I can't believe it took that long! I hope it's the first step to getting you some recognition in that field as well! Your work always blows my mind!
Old 01-06-2016, 10:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

You guys are so kind!

Here's today's virtual slice of pineapple, and I have recently learned how beneficial an actually slice of pineapple is to a human being. They are an amazing flower bouquet; who knew?

This is four coats of varnish on the Catalpa. Can anyone tell? I used an extremely light brown pore filler on the Catalpa, and I just love the way it looks.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:27 AM

My goodness that looks awesome. & congrats on the "fiddle"

Randy
Old 01-07-2016, 12:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Bruce, I love how you use some of the lesser-known woods...as well as the traditionals. That Catalpa is amazing. The trees aren't huge, and to find a piece so well quartered is a real treat. Any idea the source of your tree? And I guess by that, I'm wondering if Catalpas grow in California?

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 01-07-2016, 07:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

My previous Catalpa experience (2 guitars and an all-Catalpa Uke) was indeed harvested by myself in Mill Valley, California. This Catalpa is a much stronger Timber, though still quite light in weight compared to Mahogany (for instance). I got this wood from "otterhound", which is the posting handle of Richard Eyman, who works out of Manheim, PA. I imagine it grew near there. He had a good size pile of it on the table at the Woodstock event this year, and surely there is plenty more where this came from. His prices are lower than seems reasonable to me, and this wood works easily, bends easily, finishes easily, and sounds great. If that's not a recommendation I'll be happy to make one: The all Catalpa (back/sides/top/neck) guitar I made was sold to a 4x customer of mine, and has been his #1 go to guitar for 2 full years now! He'll be a 5x customer soon, so I am working to dethrone "Blondie", as he calls "her".

Here's the bridge I expect to use on the Classical:
Old 01-07-2016, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

Nice D. Tuc bridge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
My previous Catalpa experience (2 guitars and an all-Catalpa Uke) was indeed harvested by myself in Mill Valley, California. This Catalpa is a much stronger Timber, though still quite light in weight compared to Mahogany (for instance). I got this wood from "otterhound", which is the posting handle of Richard Eyman, who works out of Manheim, PA. I imagine it grew near there. He had a good size pile of it on the table at the Woodstock event this year, and surely there is plenty more where this came from. His prices are lower than seems reasonable to me, and this wood works easily, bends easily, finishes easily, and sounds great. If that's not a recommendation I'll be happy to make one: The all Catalpa (back/sides/top/neck) guitar I made was sold to a 4x customer of mine, and has been his #1 go to guitar for 2 full years now! He'll be a 5x customer soon, so I am working to dethrone "Blondie", as he calls "her".

Here's the bridge I expect to use on the Classical:
Old 01-07-2016, 09:34 PM

Congrats on the fiddle/violin sale. I will never forget my first "big time" fiddle sale to the phenomenal old time fiddler, Dan Gellert, about 30 years ago.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:35 PM

Default catalpa

Steve - catalpas are frequently quite large. We had one in our yard that had limbs that were 3' diameter! They are not uncommon up here- usually the flowering trees don't do so well in a cold climate, but catalpa manages fine. Lots of them are 2-3' DBH. Wish I'd known about them as tone wood when we took off that limb. I thought then that it was a useless wood. It went into the wood stove as we huddled around it.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:08 PM

Bruce,

Have you ever made or used a 12 hole bridge?

On several guitars I played recently they had them. I have never changed strings ect on one, but have read about break angles and the easier string changes.

Jrw
Old 01-07-2016, 10:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have not made a 12 hole bridge. It seems very easy to string/unstring/restring a Classical to me, but the hardest part is pushing the string though the hole (not that hard) so why would you want to do it twice? Also, it seems to me than twice as many parallel holes would have the potential to weaken the anchor bar. Also, this bridge came out lighter than my target, and would have been lighter yet with 6 more holes. So went my thinking, anyway.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Steve - catalpas are frequently quite large. We had one in our yard that had limbs that were 3' diameter! They are not uncommon up here- usually the flowering trees don't do so well in a cold climate, but catalpa manages fine. Lots of them are 2-3' DBH. Wish I'd known about them as tone wood when we took off that limb. I thought then that it was a useless wood. It went into the wood stove as we huddled around it.
Wish I knew where "up here" is. My guess is you speak of the Northern Catalpa?
"Down here" our Southern Catalpas don't achieve the size you mention (sounds monstrous!) At least over here in Texas. They are more like large ornamentals.
Now...back to you Bruce!

Steve

Old 01-08-2016, 01:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

The tree I took in Mill Valley was about 2' in diameter n the man track. Not huge, but big enough. There are said to be two sub specie of the tree, "northern" and "southern", both native to the Mississippi River basin. They are said to be able to thrive pretty much everywhere in the lower 48. I saw a good sized one growing on the road into the hotel I stay in when in Woodstock. I have seen highly flamed Catalpa used as trim bits in a custom guitar, but so far have never seen any offered as tone wood. I'd Like like some if anyone does see it.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:46 AM

Default where I live

Steve, you didn't think to look in the upper right corner. I am in the Mohawk Valley, west of Albany,NY. I wish everyone here had some geographical identification; it often helps make sense of comments.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:46 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
The tree I took in Mill Valley was about 2' in diameter n the man track. Not huge, but big enough. There are said to be two sub specie of the tree, "northern" and "southern", both native to the Mississippi River basin. They are said to be able to thrive pretty much everywhere in the lower 48. I saw a good sized one growing on the road into the hotel I stay in when in Woodstock. I have seen highly flamed Catalpa used as trim bits in a custom guitar, but so far have never seen any offered as tone wood. I'd Like like some if anyone does see it.
Yup...I'm with you Bruce!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Steve, you didn't think to look in the upper right corner. I am in the Mohawk Valley, west of Albany,NY. I wish everyone here had some geographical identification; it often helps make sense of comments.
Actually, I did look at the upper right corner. But this reveals my southern geographical handicap: "Mohawk Valley" didn't give me enough data. Sorry...

Steve

Old 01-08-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Actually, I did look at the upper right corner. But this reveals my southern geographical handicap: "Mohawk Valley" didn't give me enough data. Sorry...

Steve
I had to laugh Steve, I did the same thing when reading through this thread.....Mohawk Valley....where is that...lol

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop