The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-26-2012, 01:43 PM

Default Ventura V-14

Hello all-

I recently found an old (70's-80's) Ventura V-14 MIJ. Neck was reverse bowed, bridge was pulled up, no saddle, nut, and one of the tuners didn't work. I put a bone saddle and nut in and re-glued the bridge and changed out the tuner. This thing sounds AMAZING! I'm sure the back and sides are laminate, but you would never know by how it sounds. I found a website that has old Ventura catalogs and it shows up in the "Post Kaman" one. I did a search on some old threads here and not a whole lot comes up. Does anyone else have one of these or any other of this type of Ventura? If so, the big question is... do they all sound this good? Thanks!!
Old 11-13-2012, 08:12 PM

Default V 14

VENTURA V 14 VINTAGE: If you've got the Brazillian rosewood laminate back and sides non-bruno (says Designed in USA made in Japan).. so far, YES! They all sound that good. I have owned two, had to let one go to trade for a very spendy chair for my mom.. and I am hoping to going to replace that guitar within weeks. This is the most consistently incredible guitar model I have ever experienced.. and I sold high end acoustics from 1973- 1981 and again in the mid 80s at Boston's best stores. Owned D41s, 28s, 18s, a few Gibsons.. I am actively seeking as many as I can afford to collect and resell. I've been fortunate to have a source with mint condition v14s and v12s NOT BRUNO.. the ones we're talking about. Tone is sweet, sustain is endless, harmonics are rich and plentiful, and the bass is loud and round sounding like a different instrument. A finger picker's dream.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:54 AM

I have a Ventura V-1600 classical that, as far as I can tell, was made in the late '60s. Label says "Designed in USA, Made in Japan." The V-1600 was Ventura's top of the line classical. Laminated BRW B/S, solid spruce top, hand-carved neck, inlaid rosette and accent strips, rosewood fretboard. I picked it up at a Salvation Army Thrift Store a couple of years ago for the princely sum of $29.99 "as is." Two strings were missing and the case was trash, but the intonation was good and someone had replaced the original tuners with Gotohs. Took it home, cleaned it up, put on some new strings, and was blown away by how good it sounds.

Just before I found that one, I'd told my wife that I'd really like to find an old Ventura like I had when we first got married. That one was a copy of a Gibson Dove. Well, got an old Ventura, anyway. Great find.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:29 AM

Last year I found a V1588 that was made in 68.Paid 75.00 and oh what a deal this turned out to be. Incredible tone and sustain. Have tried many clasicals since then, all price ranges, and nothing comes close. A bonus, at least as far as I can see, is the patina and aged look about it. Just seems to have a warmth that only time can produce. And, yes, if I find another, will jump on it. DannyG
Old 11-14-2012, 09:26 AM

I have a Ventura V-6 that I inherited from an old friend. Very cool guitar. Great action and a good sound. I like better than my Martin D-1.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:08 PM

Default Ventura guitars

I have a Ventura V10 that my wife bought me in 1971 when she was my girlfriend. I think it was 69.95 back then.I still play it and it still looks good and sounds good.I guess I will have till I die.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:53 PM

Never had the chance to hear or play a Ventura, but I've heard the wildest claims about them.

Are the Bruno models typically lower in quality than the MIJs?
Nimbus 2000 (2000)

Kamaka Gold Label Soprano (c. 1960s) / Nameless "Chicago-style" Soprano (1910s-30s[?]) / Keli'i Gold Series Tenor (2012?)

Kamoa E3-T Tenor (2012-13?)
Old 11-14-2012, 07:26 PM

I bought a Bruno Ventura V-11 on eBay. It has one of those old adjustable bridges. It looks really sharp, but the tone is a bit subdued, which is OK because sometimes when I'm playing alone, I don't need much volume. I paid about $120 for it.

Last edited by gray; 11-14-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyG View Post
Last year I found a V1588 that was made in 68.Paid 75.00 and oh what a deal this turned out to be. Incredible tone and sustain. Have tried many clasicals since then, all price ranges, and nothing comes close. A bonus, at least as far as I can see, is the patina and aged look about it. Just seems to have a warmth that only time can produce. And, yes, if I find another, will jump on it. DannyG
+1 on the patina and warmth. I have a '76 Yairi CY-130 which is no slouch, but the V-1600 I picked up last year matches, and in some ways, surpasses it.

I almost passed it by when I saw someone else open the case, look inside, wrinkle his nose and scowl and close the case and walk away. But I had to see what was so bad. Granted, it appeared to have been a well-loved working guitar, but I've seen some pretty forlorn-looking instruments that surprised me once they got some new strings and a few adjustments.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that someone had shimmed the saddle with what appeared to be a piece of cardboard from a matchbook at one time. Removing that vastly improved the sound. They also scratched some "x"s on the side of the fretboard for fret markers. I very carefully countersunk those using a pin vice and a small drill bit so that they're at least round and uniform and will probably get some fret marker dots from Stew-Mac to make it look more finished. I'll post some pics when I'm done.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:40 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawhealer View Post
I have a Ventura V-1600 classical that, as far as I can tell, was made in the late '60s. Label says "Designed in USA, Made in Japan." The V-1600 was Ventura's top of the line classical. Laminated BRW B/S, solid spruce top, hand-carved neck, inlaid rosette and accent strips, rosewood fretboard. I picked it up at a Salvation Army Thrift Store a couple of years ago for the princely sum of $29.99 "as is." Two strings were missing and the case was trash, but the intonation was good and someone had replaced the original tuners with Gotohs. Took it home, cleaned it up, put on some new strings, and was blown away by how good it sounds.

Just before I found that one, I'd told my wife that I'd really like to find an old Ventura like I had when we first got married. That one was a copy of a Gibson Dove. Well, got an old Ventura, anyway. Great find.

Hello, and thanks for the responses. Just an update, the Ventura is still playing like a champ, and to this day is by far my best salvage pick up. I will never part with it. Blows me away every time I pick it up.

Since I've been on here last, I have found more Ventura's, including the Dove you speak of. If you want it - let me know. Sounds like you have some history with that model...
Old 05-03-2013, 05:39 AM

Default Ventura 12 string

I've just bought a V17 12 string for €65. The actions a bit high, but it sounds fantastic. I'm so impressed I might start looking for a 6 string.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:46 PM

Default Ventura V-14

I have a Ventura V-14, designed in the US, made in Japan that my Dad bought at garage sale in the late 80's for $30. I quickly procured it from him for my own use and it has been my primary songwriting, recording and playing acoustic for the past 28+ years. Based on everything I've read and researched, I'm guessing it is a 1970's model. It came to me in great shape, ready to play and I've never done anything to it aside from replacing one tuning head and replacing the original bridge pegs. Everyone who has ever heard it has thought it was a Gibson or Taylor or something more expensive and everyone who has ever played it have really loved it as well. Wouldn't trade this $30 treasure for all the money in the world!
Old 08-18-2017, 09:06 PM

I dug up this zombie to see if anyone can tell me what the back and sides are?

It was the first guitar I ever bought when I first started playing about 7 years ago. Sounds very good!

The original owner bought it in 1968-69 time frame from a great music store that was eventually bought by GC, called Veneman's. He never "got around to taking up the guitar" and it was kept in it's case, in his cedar closet. Not a ding, scratch, or ANYTHING on it when I bought it! A real 1967 MIJ timecapsule.

What I know about Ventura guitars:
The first ones made from about 1966 to 1971 were made in Japan.
The Ventura name was then bought by a Bruno Co. and from the early 70's on, they were made in China.
The made in China ones are overbuilt, heavy, and sound muffled.

These early MIJ ones had the distinctive pick guard, and are lightly built with solid Sitka tops, sound really good, and the outside and inside of the back and sides are the same wood, and the grain matches up... sooo.. I'm not sure.
But it is a 4 piece back.

So anyway... anyone here know what kind of rosewood it is? It's a Ventura V-12 if that helps.
Asian? Dunno.

Last edited by ohYew812; 08-18-2017 at 10:57 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:37 PM

Default First post!

I lift the zombie too and let you know I just bought a Ventura V-697 12 string with a three piece back of Rosewood; East Indian to be sure. MOP or pearloid binding all over.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h0dgxkiqj1...ender.jpg?dl=0

I came across your model, ohYew812, and the seller said it was BRW. If that is BRW then I find that to be the same kind as what I see on some Giannini classicals from Brazil. Played one of those that was owned by a friend from Brazil and was underwhelmed. Could be Cocobolo or some other varietal?

Can't wait to get that 12 string in my hands!
Old 08-18-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djbradles View Post
I lift the zombie too and let you know I just bought a Ventura V-697 12 string with a three piece back of Rosewood; East Indian to be sure. MOP or pearloid binding all over.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h0dgxkiqj1...ender.jpg?dl=0

I came across your model, ohYew812, and the seller said it was BRW. If that is BRW then I find that to be the same kind as what I see on some Giannini classicals from Brazil. Played one of those that was owned by a friend from Brazil and was underwhelmed. Could be Cocobolo or some other varietal?

Can't wait to get that 12 string in my hands!
It was a 60's V-12 that you played? And he was from Brazil?
That's a small world. As these were made for Veneman's.

Having that heavy adjustable bridge removed and replacing the plastic saddle and nut changed with bone made a HUGE improvement.

Next I'm going to have the gigantic rosewood bridgplate replaced with a small maple plate.

I wish others could play this thing and see how it surprises the heck out of folks.

Anyone know what the wood is for sure?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion