The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-22-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilgour2000 View Post
I think they’re good for their price point. I bought an FS800 for the beach. I think I paid $169.

No, it doesn’t sound like a $1000 guitar. But it sounds much better than a $169 guitar.
+1. I bought one back in Jan or Feb to keep at the hotel (I worked on the road prior to covid). I paid about $175 new and it's a great guitar at that price point. It's what I was looking for and I was happy.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:04 PM

My Yamaha FG 730 sounded as good as any Guitar I have played. It was just to big for my aching shoulder.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:14 PM

I’ve played a bunch of FG800s and a handful of the FG830s. All were at least this-is-a-really-solid-entry-level-guitar good, and at least half were shake-my-head-at-the-price-tag good.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

The FG800 is a very good guitar for anyone on a budget. Way better than the budget guitars from past decades.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:23 PM

I bought one “used” once believing the hype about value for the price point. Was not impressed at all. Sold it a few months later. The old adage really fit here “you get what you pay for”.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

I played many guitars, some new, more used, for months, looking to replace my 1970s Yamaha FG200s which both needed neck resets. At a Guitar Center I played a used Eastman and several other guitars, up to about $1,000. I kept coming back to an FG800 that seemed as good as any and better than most, and ended up buying that one. I put on a bone and then a Tusq saddle, and replaced the factory tuners with some Grover 102-18Ns that fit right in. It's a good guitar and worth the upgrades.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:42 PM

The thing about the lower priced Yamaha guitars is, in my humble opinion, the price-to-quality ratio. Sure, they sound isn't the greatest, but the build quality is consistently high and they're pretty much problem-free, which isn't something you can say about a lot of guitars at the price point. I own a FSX700sc and it stays in tune well, plays well, and hasn't had any problems in 4+ years. You can always amplify it to compensate for the weak, thin sound. It's a good beginner or knock-about guitar, but, it doesn't sound just as good as my Martin.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirosh View Post
I played many guitars, some new, more used, for months, looking to replace my 1970s Yamaha FG200s which both needed neck resets. At a Guitar Center I played a used Eastman and several other guitars, up to about $1,000. I kept coming back to an FG800 that seemed as good as any and better than most, and ended up buying that one. I put on a bone and then a Tusq saddle, and replaced the factory tuners with some Grover 102-18Ns that fit right in. It's a good guitar and worth the upgrades.
This FS-TA I got is the bees knees. After a pro setup, it plays like butter. It weighs 4lb, 11 1/2 oz. with electronics, so it's not overbuilt. I'll try those upgrades.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:33 PM

It’s a “Yamaha” thang...

Seriously though, the FG/FS series are just great inexpensive guitars that play and sound well above their price point. And while most of them are decent coming off the assembly line, this is the one series that you can find that “diamond in the rough” if you dig deep enough.

Also, it’s amazing how the right set of strings and a decent setup can transform one of these “lowly” Yamaha’s.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion