The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-12-2018, 08:55 PM

Default Anybody have a K&K Pure mini in their Gibson J-15? Opinions on the sound?

I am wanting to change the LR Baggs element out of my J-15 for something that will as close as possible capture the acoustic sound if my J-15. I have used K&K in the best multiple times with great success but have never used one in a J-15. Anyone have a pure mini in their J-15 that can give me a report on it? Thanks.
Also if you have any other suggestions for other pickups that would be cool too.

Gibson J-15 Walnut Burst

PRS Custom 24 S2
Old 12-12-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesquivel View Post
I am wanting to change the LR Baggs element out of my J-15 for something that will as close as possible capture the acoustic sound if my J-15. I have used K&K in the best multiple times with great success but have never used one in a J-15. Anyone have a pure mini in their J-15 that can give me a report on it? Thanks.
Also if you have any other suggestions for other pickups that would be cool too.
I don't own a J-15 but I don't see why a K&K wouldn't sound great in it. There's nothing particularly unique about the J-15. If I were you though, since you already have the Element, I would just upgrade to the Anthem.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

I have a k&K in a J50, which I pass through a Red Eye Fire Eye DI, and into my Bose Tonematch T1 / L1 Compact. It sounds fantastic.

But frankly, I also have a J45-Mahogany with a Baggs Element VTC that I run straigh into the T1 / Bose, and it also sounds fantastic. Different eq settings for each...

What are you plugging your guitar currently into?
Old 12-12-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
I have a k&K in a J50, which I pass through a Red Eye Fire Eye DI, and into my Bose Tonematch T1 / L1 Compact. It sounds fantastic.

But frankly, I also have a J45-Mahogany with a Baggs Element VTC that I run straigh into the T1 / Bose, and it also sounds fantastic. Different eq settings for each...

What are you plugging your guitar currently into?

I am running my guitar into a LR Baggs Venue DI then into Baggs Session Di. The sounds good but not what I what I would like it to be. I want my plugged in tone to sound more woody and natural instead of like a piezo.

Gibson J-15 Walnut Burst

PRS Custom 24 S2
Old 12-13-2018, 08:35 PM

I have the K&K mini in my J15. They are both mid-heavy, so the combination is kinda double mid-heavy. If that makes any sense. If your playing solo you can eq it, and it will sound pretty good. If your playing with other guitars it gets lost in the mix.

Keep on mind I’m a strummer, and I use a primetone 1.21mm pick. I think that makes it harder to eq. The songs that I finger pick(flesh), it sounds alot better.

Dave
2012 Eastman HE322CE w/K&K
2013 Breedlove Atlas Stage C25/SRe
2015 Epiphone DR-500MCE/NA w/JJB
2016 Gibson J-15 w/K&K
2016 Recording King ROS G9M
2017 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-45ME/VSS
2018 Yamaha FS-TA
2018 Taylor 110e w/ES2
2018 AMI JM-SG45 w/JJB
Old 12-13-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molder View Post
I have the K&K mini in my J15. They are both mid-heavy, so the combination is kinda double mid-heavy. If that makes any sense. If your playing solo you can eq it, and it will sound pretty good. If your playing with other guitars it gets lost in the mix.

Keep on mind I’m a strummer, and I use a primetone 1.21mm pick. I think that makes it harder to eq. The songs that I finger pick(flesh), it sounds alot better.

Dave

Thank you for the info. I suspected it might react that way.

Gibson J-15 Walnut Burst

PRS Custom 24 S2
Old 12-14-2018, 07:06 AM

Have you considered a ToneDexter? There are advantages to a UST in that the string balance can be easily adjusted and the active output will drive anything you plug it into. Post ToneDeter you get the best of both worlds, great tone and a bullet proof PUP for when you're traveling light.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 12-17-2018, 08:38 AM

I have been thinking about doing that same thing with my J35 that has the Element VTC. But I’m backing off making the move because I’m quite happy with the effect that putting a Fire Eye in the chain makes. A much more natural sound for sure.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification