The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-11-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
The mics that always disappoint me are the modeling microphones. I thought the Townsend models were a bit lacking and the Slate models were just poor.
I've spent a bit of time with the Slate, but not side by side with the "real things." The modeling software is interesting and I wouldn't mind having it to play with. But the hardware that comes with (mic and pre) is pretty mediocre. And how could it be otherwise at that price point?

Couch Standards
Old 08-11-2019, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

I always thought my Rode NT-5 was a little harsh sounding, so at least I read that I'm not the only one that thinks so.

I was gassing for a Rode NT-1 because of the low self noise, but I also read that that is a little bit of a harsh sounding mic as well. I think I'll stick with the two AT2035 that I have.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 08-11-2019, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Oh great another web sight for me to spend time I shouldn't,,,,, on

Fortunately like Jim I have found "My vocal Mike" mine is the ADK Z Mod 251 I posted about some months back and thus am no longer searching
And honestly after owning some great mics for acoustic guitar, I think perhaps between the pair of AEA N22 Ribbons and the Brauner Phantom V I have, that search may be at an end as well.

For me a blanket dismissal of the notion of the importance of mic and pre is arguably about the same as the blanket acceptance that it will make a significant difference

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 08-11-2019, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Fortunately like Jim I have found "My vocal Mike" mine is the ADK Z Mod 251
Wasn't the Manley Reference your mic? Or was am I getting older and more confused. ADK is a good company though. They make nice mics at a bunch of different price points. I owned a pair of A6 mics by them. They were my instrument mics for a while.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 08-11-2019, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Wasn't the Manley Reference your mic? Or was am I getting older and more confused. ADK is a good company though. They make nice mics at a bunch of different price points. I owned a pair of A6 mics by them. They were my instrument mics for a while.
Sorry no I never owned a Manley mic, I have and still use a Langevin (by Manley)DVC 2 channel mic pre,Eq ,limiter, combo for my PA.

For studio Vocals I started with Studio Projects C1 was the model I think, my memory is not so great either) Then I had a pair of Shure KSM 44 for vocal and acoustic Git.
Then a Brauner Phantom V (still have ) and now the ADK 251

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD