The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-16-2018, 07:10 AM

Default Anyone put a pickguard on an Emerald X20?

Could you post a picture of it?
Old 05-16-2018, 08:30 AM

Joe ! You are an inspiration ! Just deciding upon exact final position now before drilling all the holes !

Old 05-16-2018, 08:33 AM

OK, that was a joke , but MAN ! That actually looks pretty cool , no ? ...
Old 05-16-2018, 09:01 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
OK, that was a joke , but MAN ! That actually looks pretty cool , no ? ...
When I saw the thread title, although I’ve seen pickguards on some CF guitars that looked good, for the most part, especially the modern beauty of Emerald, I couldn’t imagine it. Now Jon, you’ve done gone and laid a Tele electric guard on an X20 and you’re right, it does look pretty darn cool. Functionally though, I’d be concerned that it would really dampen the soundboard and negatively affect tone.

p.s. You’re a tall guy who took a real risk getting up on a chair just to take a cool pic for us. What a trooper!
Old 05-16-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
When I saw the thread title, although I’ve seen pickguards on some CF guitars that looked good, for the most part, especially the modern beauty of Emerald, I couldn’t imagine it. Now Jon, you’ve done gone and laid a Tele electric guard on an X20 and you’re right, it does look pretty darn cool. Functionally though, I’d be concerned that it would really dampen the soundboard and negatively affect tone.

p.s. You’re a tall guy who took a real risk getting up on a chair just to take a cool pic for us. What a trooper!
The amount of dampening depends on the pickguard material. I looked at hundreds of raw sheets and most of it was too thick and heavy. I was surprised at the material that the big names use. Evidently, it is not as big a problem as we assume. Maybe some of the builders with chime in.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post

Aww shucks Tom , don’t mention, always ready to totally disregard my personal safety to try and help my brothers.

Re: Damping, if you designed one something like that in to the build, it shouldn’t be any worse than the dampening effect of all that heavy wood veneer some people seem to love !
Old 05-16-2018, 10:51 AM

On a serious note, if you are really worried about scratching the diamond hard Emerald finish, then I should think these would take a static cling vinyl guard really well.
Someone was discussing these elswhere on the forum and apparently you can get the stuff quite cheaply in a sheet to cut to shape yourself.

Come to think of it, I have seen vinyl guitar wrap on eBay, in a fake carbon fibre finish,
you could wrap the whole guitar in that stuff !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carbon-Fi...KOn1kDX1bsycoA
Old 05-16-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Aw, always ready to totally disregard my personal safety to try and help my brothers.

Our kinda CF guitar guy right here!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-16-2018, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Joe ! You are an inspiration ! Just deciding upon exact final position now before drilling all the holes !

It just needs a couple big ol' knobs on the bottom, lower bout, and maybe a rocker switch.

Or, not.

Thanks for the chuckle!
Old 05-16-2018, 04:42 PM

Haha nice Long Jon! Drill those holes - haters will say that it will decrease its resale value but don’t listen to them! You do you! 🤣

On a serious note, I was just thinking about normal acoustic pickguard material, maybe just in black?
Old 05-16-2018, 05:06 PM

Hey Alistair, just remember my cut when the long awaited thin-body electro-acoustic TeleX-20 starts selling faster than you can make ‘em.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
TeleX-20 .
Oooh yes! Cool idea.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-17-2018, 06:09 AM

Being a 52 reissue tele guy.. love it!!!
Old 05-21-2018, 02:05 PM

I'm a relatively aggressive strummer. Has any Emerald owner scratched their finish?
Old 05-21-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acwild View Post
I'm a relatively aggressive strummer. Has any Emerald owner scratched their finish?
I use metal finger picks with heavy licks with medium strings and had what I thought was almost going to be a mark on my then new gxi. Ordered my Kling-on that day and have never taken it off. Shout out to Strings by mail, one of our sponsors.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber