The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-06-2019, 11:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
I am not a vintage Martin tone fanatic per se' not the ideal sound I hear in my head...but...I will say that I think that PWGC gets consistently closest to the iconic vintage 30's-40's Martin tone of any factory/boutique makers out there, including Martin, and they can also, with their very best efforts, rival any of the top level vintage Martin repro luthiers out there as well. They have definitely pretty well figured out the "secret sauce" as it were.

And their relic work is THE BEST, most accurate/authentic that I have seen by far...except for Nash relic'd electrics.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Wow, very cool. I’d love to try one. I’m always up for a Martin clone of any kind. It’s the sauce I never tire of! It does look like they do a good job relicing.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

I have no issue with distressing a new guitar, and if I liked the tone/playability I'd consider getting one. To me calling it "fake" suggests the purchaser wants to "fool" someone else. Perhaps they just like the look/feel of it.

It reminds of this ad a few years ago, different strokes for different folks.

It also struck me that distressing new guitars relates to the recent "Death of the OCD" post. Might be nice to have a structurally new guitar without worrying about getting (new) dings and dents.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
It also struck me that distressing new guitars relates to the recent "Death of the OCD" post. Might be nice to have a structurally new guitar without worrying about getting (new) dings and dents.
There’s definitely something to this.

Also, I saw a distress level 3 up for sale in the classifieds and the owner stated something like “mint condition, no additional wear other than what came from the factory” as if the wear from the factory somehow doesn’t count or isn’t real scratches and nicks. Like we would have any way of knowing (nor would anyone interested in a relic guitar really care)!
Old 09-08-2019, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

"...(about the relicing)...But it still is fake. That's what really bothers...."
Just as high gloss nitrocellulose lacquer is fake. I've never seen wood that shinny unless someone put a finish on it.... be it glossy or checked(reliced), it's just a finish.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
As I said in the other thread, doing intentional damage to wonderful guitars is just warped.

Obviously, there are lots of differing opinions on this, but I just see it as fundamentally wrong. By all accounts they make wonderful guitars. To then deface them on purpose, its positively offensive, IMO.

Some folks like the relic "thing" because they think it looks cool, they like the worn in look but are nervous about buying a used guitar that is heavily worn, for fear that there are underlying structural issues to go with the physical wear...which is sometimes true, and sometimes not...BUT...not an absolute.

Some folks like it because they think it gives them "street cred" to play a worn guitar...which is bunk...but...that is what they think.

Some folks like it because they are OCD and they just can not bring themselves to really play and enjoy a guitar anywhere but other than in their living room...for fear of damage...so the relic look gives them some emotional freedom to enjoy playing situations that they would not otherwise be able to.

Pick yer poison...

duff
Old 09-08-2019, 11:19 AM

I'd be much more inclined to look at them if they offered a non-relic version. I play my guitars plenty and they still look new.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
I'd be much more inclined to look at them if they offered a non-relic version. I play my guitars plenty and they still look new.
Again, they do.

Level one looks brand new except for light lacquer checking. (Scroll back a page or two for photos)
Old 09-08-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
Again, they do.

Level one looks brand new except for light lacquer checking. (Scroll back a page or two for photos)
Level zero is my goal.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Level zero is my goal.
Might not happen but you could give Wes a call?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-08-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Are you willing to...and/or do you...take your new looking guitars outside, to picnics/family and friend gatherings, camping, the beach, the mountains, down to the river, over to friends' house porches and let anyone who wants to play your new looking guitars play them?

Most folks with new looking guitars do not like to expose their guitar to such playing situations, for fear of wear/damage, so sometimes a guitar with wear on it already, like a relic'd guitar, allows them to feel good in doing so.

duff
Old 09-08-2019, 12:36 PM

I think that it’s really cool that luthiers are adopting yet another dimension, the dimension of aging, to their expression of artistry. There’s certainly a market for it and if there are positive tonal properties from this kind of process all the better! Love that there is movement and evolution in acoustic guitars!
Old 09-08-2019, 01:08 PM

I saw a van today painted like it was rusty all over with paint peeling.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
I love the tone of these Pre*War dreads. I’m certainly not going to wait 14+ months ordering one so let’s see which opportunity on the used market presents itself first: a Pre*War D, a Martin D-18 Authentic 1937, or maybe an Arcara D1.

Hmmm...
I have no problem waiting but the $1,000.00 deposit up front bothers me. If I had a nickel for every story I have heard about these deals going south. Be it by dishonesty or unforeseen circumstances not saying these guys are dishonest but things happen all too often.
As a licensed contractor in my state it’s illegal for me to take more than 10 percent down on a job and am legally required to carry a bond as protection for clients.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Previously very sceptical, I played the PWGC guitars owned by Jason and Pharis Romero a few months ago, at Jason’s insistence, and absolutely loved them. His O-12 reminded me of the sound of Dylan playing Don’t Think Twice It’s Alright on Freewheeling BD.

If the GB pound comes back out of the toilet I’ll be ordering one.

Pontificating about why anyone would buy one of these guitars seems to me pointless. Might as well ask why someone would buy a Ferrari or an ice cream or a very large collection of anything including acoustic guitars. It’s up to them.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 09-08-2019, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigredhog View Post
I have no problem waiting but the $1,000.00 deposit up front bothers me. If I had a nickel for every story I have heard about these deals going south. Be it by dishonesty or unforeseen circumstances not saying these guys are dishonest but things happen all too often.
Pre-War Guitar Co. has a 14-16 month waiting period. That only happens for 2 reasons...quality of product & reputation. Dishonest businesses don’t stay in business for long. FYI, all but $250 of their $1000 deposit is refundable should the buyer cancel, and once paid in full, the buyer has 5-days to return the guitar for a full no-questions-asked return (except for $250). That about as good of a deposit/return policy as anyone in the guitar business. I don’t know a single guitar builder—regardless of size—who doesn’t ask for a considerable deposit on a guitar order.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion