The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-14-2018, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Pre-War Guitar Co.

Has anyone had any experience with Pre-War Guitar Co.?
I saw a few examples on YouTube and they sounded and looked amazing. One of the clips showed Molly Tuttle playing D Model, which is D-18 clone.
I know there is an "anti-relic" contingent out there, but I'd like to know if anyone can relate their impressions regarding tone and playability. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:08 PM

Bummer, I thought you had one for sale!
Fender Custom Shop '57 strat (thick and sweet)
Fender Baja Tele (my fav, and great value)
Fender '71 Pro Reverb & Vibrolux Reverb
Old 02-14-2018, 09:17 PM

Default Pre War

Roy Book Binder plays one and is an endorser. He had it when he was here. Other than looking newer, I did not notice it sounded any better thuan the Gibsons he had played in the past. We did not talk much about it, but I know he was pleased with his.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:29 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyT View Post
Has anyone had any experience with Pre-War Guitar Co.?
I was something of a skeptic at first, but the tone and feel convinced me. Here's #002, exactly one year old today. Cleared final inspection on 2/14/17.

link to review of my guitar by Boyd Timothy

Last edited by Guest 1928; 02-15-2018 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:53 PM
Charter Member

I did a session live at Fretboard Journal last winter and they had just gotten a sunburst D18 style the day before or so and I gave it a good run through. I couldn’t have been more impressed. Felt legit broken in and old, nothing like most relic guitars that feel abused and scraped up, this felt like an old guitar - lighter, boomy and woody. Incredible feel and it sounded great. It wasn’t really as much a relic as it was worn in. I’d buy one if I was in the market and wanted to spend the money - especially because I wouldn’t feel like I’d need to Baby it

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ3Kmb2F1h1/
Old 02-15-2018, 05:48 AM

The one that I've tried played great and sounded mediocre at best. It definitely didn't sound like an actual vintage Martin at all. Don't believe the hype. They may look the part but, despite their strong marketing campaign, they certainly don't sound it.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
The one that I've tried played great and sounded mediocre at best. It definitely didn't sound like an actual vintage Martin at all. Don't believe the hype. They may look the part but, despite their strong marketing campaign, they certainly don't sound it.
Ignore Tommy Emanuel, Molly Tuttle, Joseph Terrell, Chris Frank - "Red Clay Ramblers", Woody Platt, Eli West, Joe henry, Andrew Marlin.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napman41 View Post
Ignore Tommy Emanuel, Molly Tuttle, Joseph Terrell, Chris Frank - "Red Clay Ramblers", Woody Platt, Eli West, Joe henry, Andrew Marlin.
Yeah, what do they know.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

I got on board early pre TE, Molly and some of the others (wish my skills were at their level?) and I love mine. I purchased a D(18) model and it wasn't long before I had an HD(28) on order. They are great guitars with a dry, woody, vintage voice to my ears and at true prewar (1934-1941) Martin pricing it's definitely as close as I'll get to the real thing?
No one guitar builder is for everyone. The general consensus on this forum is negative although few of the nay sayers have played one? They bypass the sonic merits of these guitars and harp (no pun intended?) on the relicing aspect alone.
Try one if you can. Or if you decide to purchase one Wes & Ben will give you your money back if your dissatisfied with it. Which I doubt seriously? They are great guitars but clearly not for everyone. However, if you're looking for a prewar Martin/Gibson voice with modern playability then it just might be for you. Best of luck!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 02-15-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

I am enamoured with their slope....

willingness to pay the price for me? not there.

However.. I cant imagine a more "one of us" endorsement as persuasive as one from Todd...

I am thinking if I stop working in a few years - a PreWar might be my retirement present.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

I haven't played a Pre-War but I've played other guitars that Wes Lambe has built and all had something special. I'm not necessarily after that vintage Martin sound but if I were looking for another guitar and a small-body Pre-War crossed my path, I'd certainly give it every consideration. Actually, I may be better off if one doesn't cross my path. I really don't need another guitar but I might be sorely tempted.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:18 AM

Normally I do not give a fig what this or that artist plays. But I gotta admit that, considering the guitars I have seen Roy Bookbinder toting around, when you drop his name I do sit up and take notice. His shows, especially back in the days when he teamed with Fats Kaplan, were amazing. But like others the price tags on the Pre-War guitar Co. offerings is a bit steep to put them in the casual purchase category.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
We cannot gauge the quality of a company's offerings by a single example, especially when they are handmade out of organic materials. We all know that no two examples will be the same. In my mind, the question is best thought of in one of several ways: either (1) how do their best examples sound, (2) how do their median or average examples sound, or (3) what percentage are duds.

By way of example in applying this criteria, I think Martin excels under criterion 1, and does fairly well under criteria 2 and 3. Gibson also excels under criterion 1, does ok under 2, but (IMO) does poorly under 3. But in no case does a single example give us enough data for an assessment.

I have heard several PW guitars played now (I've just listened to others playing them--I haven't played one myself yet, so I can't speak to that end of the equation), and I have heard 4 or 5 I would be more than happy to own, 1 that was rather average, and one that I thought was a bit of a dud (meaning a dud for a guitar in this price range, but still better than most of the market). Sure, there are vintage guitars and new guitars at a much higher price point that I would rather have, but if I were looking at a vintage-inspired and vintage-sounding modern guitar in the $5k range, and if I wanted something in the D-18 or J-45 style, then I would strongly consider a PW. HOWEVER, I would not order one that I couldn't return. My preference would be to pick one up in a shop (or second hand) only once I know that it speaks to me. And I have a fairly high level of confidence that PW makes guitars that would speak to me.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:05 AM

I’ll admit being intrigued by the general concept on which this builder has based its guitars. However, intentionally damaging a guitar to make it look old seems questionable.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:45 PM

I've played a couple of Pre War models ... have to say that I was extremely impressed.

The play and sound great!

However, they are pretty pricey!

You can go a lot of directions for the money it will take to get you into a Pre War acoustic.

Also, I'm just not a fan of the artificial "relic-ing" they do.

It looks real enough, so they do a good job of emulating the wear & tear a real guitar made before WWII might have, but I still want to create my own wear & tear.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion