The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-09-2019, 12:15 PM

I don't consider myself loyal to one particular brand. I appreciate what all makers bring to the table. In 2012, I went on a search for a Gibson J-45, mostly cause I always wanted one but never could afford one and they're a good all around guitar. I ended up with a 2012 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Custom. When I picked up that guitar, I never even knew the Songwriter line existed, but the guitar blew me away. It's a brighter sounding guitar, especially for Gibson, and different than their popular J-45's, Hummingbird's, SJ-200's etc. but you can still tell that it's a Gibson.

I'm surprised people don't talk about the Songwriter line more often. It's certainly more of a modern day instrument compared to their other offerings but it can cover any style of music no problem. Mine doesn't have the mustache bridge and has the vintage sunburst finish so it's traditional looking with a modern day tone.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
I don't consider myself loyal to one particular brand. I appreciate what all makers bring to the table. In 2012, I went on a search for a Gibson J-45, mostly cause I always wanted one but never could afford one and they're a good all around guitar. I ended up with a 2012 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Custom. When I picked up that guitar, I never even knew the Songwriter line existed, but the guitar blew me away. It's a brighter sounding guitar, especially for Gibson, and different than their popular J-45's, Hummingbird's, SJ-200's etc. but you can still tell that it's a Gibson.

I'm surprised people don't talk about the Songwriter line more often. It's certainly more of a modern day instrument compared to their other offerings but it can cover any style of music no problem. Mine doesn't have the mustache bridge and has the vintage sunburst finish so it's traditional looking with a modern day tone.
The Songwriter is a great guitar. One of the guys in our Praise Band has one and it's an amazing sounding guitar. It's got that Gibson thang but it's wonderful in a different way...brighter and clearer.
As much as I love my D18 and I do love it,I'm convinced I'm more of a Gibson guy.
BTW my newly-acquired J15 is a really nice compliment to my J45. That being said...
"A J45 is a J45."

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-09-2019, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

1. J-45

2. J-45

3. Hmm...

Most versatile dread on the planet.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
The Songwriter is a great guitar. One of the guys in our Praise Band has one and it's an amazing sounding guitar. It's got that Gibson thang but it's wonderful in a different way...brighter and clearer.
As much as I love my D18 and I do love it,I'm convinced I'm more of a Gibson guy.
BTW my newly-acquired J15 is a really nice compliment to my J45. That being said...
"A J45 is a J45."
Absolutely it's a great guitar and you really can't go wrong with any of them. If this was 10 years ago my preference would've been different. To answer the question of the thread I will go:

1) Songwriter Deluxe
2) J-45
3) SJ-200
Old 09-11-2019, 06:50 AM

I'm going to vote for the Southern Jumbo. It sounds slightly different than the J45 and is a great, versatile guitar
Old 09-11-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralDreedle View Post
I'm going to vote for the Southern Jumbo. It sounds slightly different than the J45 and is a great, versatile guitar
I love the look of them but have never played one.
I really love my J45 and J29 though.

Keep on truckin'

Slim
2007 BSG GJ-27 12 string
2005 BSG J-27
2020 Regal RD-30M Resonator
1938 Dobro model unknown
2023 Michael Messer Fiddle Edge Dobro

Plus a Takamine and an old S.Yairi.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion