The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-18-2016, 07:17 PM
Guest 928

And so, I've done my first play out. A Sunday, in the Tree bar at the center of the village, under a cottonwood tree. Six players--guitars, mandolins, banjo.
Everyone loved the look--eye candy.

Everyone also liked the sound. It is really mellow compared to the steel string guitars, the mandolins, and the banjo--and yet it cut through and could be heard.

For me, the main thing has been to not have the guitar dominate my vocals. With steel strings I have a tendency to get over-rambunctious and eat my vocals with the voice of the guitar.

And there is this. I believe that singers have certain tonal and projection qualities that can be matched or miss-matched with instruments.

I also like the sensuality of nylon strings. Tell your ma and tell your pa our loves are going to grow--uh ah!

The X10-OSN suits me nicely. I hope the rest of you are equally suited.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:28 PM

I can't unread this thread. Now I want a CF nylon too. Looks awesome. Still have the OS20N sitting around?
Old 02-22-2016, 10:44 AM
Guest 928

Mot;

Thanks for asking about the X20-OSN. It is a great guitar, but not as comfortable for me as the X10 build--I sold it to move toward the new custom X10-OSN.

You just missed the sale of my original X10N. During the course of this thread an enterprising player asked what I was going to do with the X10N when I received my X10-OSN; the rest is history.

You have a lot of choices for a CF nylon strung instrument; the Rainsong Parlor, the Emeralds, and the Blackbird Rider and Super OMN. I think they are all good, it's just a matter of which one suits you best.

I have never had a problem in selling a carbon fiber guitar. I offer reasonable prices and count the loss as rental fee. This has enabled me to go through a number of CF instruments: CA Cargo, CA Ox, CA white Cargo, X10N Emerald, X20-OSN & X10-OSN Emeralds, Blackbird Rider, Blackbird Super OM, Blackbird Uke. I liked them all, but I do not have the money or space to be a collector. So I've done a lot of tasting and have gotten down to two keepers.

I haven't tried a Journey, but I'm thinking about it.....
Old 02-22-2016, 12:33 PM

Evan,

You don't have your Cargo anymore either or you only have two non-steel string guitars?

I love my two CF guitars, but I have been toying with a new baritone uke with its wider string spacing and keep reaching for the A and E strings as I try to run through pieces I memorized decades ago and thought I had forgotten. It's been a long time since I played around with a classical guitar and this thread and that new uke are causing me some problems.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 02-22-2016, 03:57 PM
Guest 928

Tom;

The Cargo was my first CF guitar. I saw it at a Sam Ash and it amazed me. But it was a steel string so I sold it. Many guitars later, when Peavey came out with the white Cargo, I went for 2nd swim. I sold it, also. So to answer your question, I've gotten it down to the Rainsong Parlor and the Emerald X10-OSN.

I gave a baritone uke a try, but like you, I kept reaching for the other two strings.

It looks to me like your problems are easily resolved; you clearly need a nylon string guitar.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:17 PM

Argh! I have a few other words I said out loud too but chose not to type them.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:26 AM
Guest 928

Help needed. I'm looking for a soft gig bag for the X10: Length 39, Width 14 1/2, Depth 4. Any suggestions?
Old 02-29-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Help needed. I'm looking for a soft gig bag for the X10: Length 39, Width 14 1/2, Depth 4. Any suggestions?
Mono cases are spendy, but top of the heap in features and build.

http://monocreators.com/acoustic-classical-om/
Old 02-29-2016, 12:18 PM

+1 on the Mono!
Old 02-29-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
+1 on the Mono!
Okay Evan, Mono is scoring 100% on the Hawaiian Style meter; looks like you've got to go with the Mono!
Old 02-29-2016, 12:44 PM

+1 on the Mono M80 classical/0m case. I use one for my Martin 000 as well as my new to me Rainsong Shorty - GREAT gigbag - protective and lightweight and a good fit.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:13 PM
Guest 928

Thank you all for the Mono suggestion. No doubt, it is a great bag. However, in looking up the specs I came to a halt. The X10-OSN is 39, 14 1/2, 4. The Mono is 44,18, 6. The 10 would rattle around in the Mono.

the Levy I got for the Rainsong Parlor is perfect for the parlor--it is a little short for the X10-OSN. So, I am still looking. The 10 is not a standard guitar and I may start ragging Alistair for not having a soft bag for his instruments.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Thank you all for the Mono suggestion. No doubt, it is a great bag. However, in looking up the specs I came to a halt. The X10-OSN is 39, 14 1/2, 4. The Mono is 44,18, 6. The 10 would rattle around in the Mono.
Evan, I don't know where you got those dimensions. (Edit: Oh, it seems you were looking at Amazon or some other retailer. Maybe those are the exterior dimensions, maybe rounded up, even. Please refer to the manufacturer's web site for the definitive info, as linked above, and again here: http://monocreators.com/acoustic-classical-om/. It's far more informative than a retailer site.)

The Mono classical/om case (interior dimensions) is 40, 15, 4 ½... perfect!

Old 03-01-2016, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

Evan, I have the Emerald X10N older style with the slotted head stock (it's the one shown in the picture with yours, or one that looks just like it). The Saga Boulder Alpine Tenor almost fits like it was made for it... just a little snug in the length. I really like the case. Probably not as heavy duty as the mono, but very well built ~ not thin and flimsy ~ and fine for carbon fiber...

http://www.sagamusic.com/products/pr...?item=CB-361TN
Old 03-01-2016, 10:34 AM
Guest 928

Uncle: Thank you for the correction. You are right, I got my dimensions from Amazon. It looks like the Mono is the perfect fit. Now all I have to do is get my mind around the price.

Strumalot: I like the Boulder bag, but the bit-shy length is bothersome. the Levy bag that I purchased for the RS Parlor has the same length and I'm bothered by how tight the Emerald headstock fits against the case.

So, for the moment, I am paralyzed with options.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber