The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-22-2021, 03:58 PM

Default Question for Emerald X20 owners

I have just picked up a used 2018 X20 Woody in a trade deal. Whilst it's made really well and looks great, I'm a little underwhelmed with the sound. Especially compared to my Martin (maybe unfair because the Martin is outstanding).

It seems to lack top end sparkle. I had actually expected it to be super bright, but in fact I find it quite dark, almost dull sounding. I'd been checking out videos prior to it arriving and was hoping it would be awesome.

So I'm going to restring it. I normally use Elixir 12's, but thought I'd put it out here to see if anyone has a recommendation. Really looking to get that high end sparkle back.

As for playability, the thing feels really great in my hands, even though i normally prefer 1 11/16ths nut width over the 1 3/4 that it has.

Thanks.
Old 06-22-2021, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Difficult one, this - one man's sparkle is another man's murk.

I settled on D'Addario Nickel Bronze Lights for my X20, which I've had a couple of years now. For me, a beautiful balanced sound, and the top end is plenty bright for me. I've just restrung it with a set of Elixirs Nano PB in the same gauges. While I like the feel, the jury is out on the sound. It seems to have lost a little something, but I'm hard pressed to describe exactly what.

Another factor to consider - you said you were expecting it to be super bright. That's a common misconception about the so-called 'CF sound' - it may just be a matter of you getting used to the X20's voice.

I've love to hear how you get on with it after your string change - and I'm sure others will chime in with their preferences and suggestions too.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 06-23-2021 at 06:21 AM.
Old 06-22-2021, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

I seemed to like the Elixir Nano PB lights the best on the X20 I had....but, I had the same issue as you. It just didn't come close to my Martins in tone, or some other CF guitars for that matter, so I replaced it with a Sable. I still prefer the Martins for tone, but there's other reasons to own a CF in the desert southwest.
Old 06-22-2021, 04:58 PM

Hi Fiery,

You didn't mention if you play with a flat pick or fingers?

I play my X20 mostly w/ a flat pick. Would not describe the X20 as "dark" at all. It does have a very strong bass (which I like). But equally strong trebles. It's not a shy guitar at all.

My current string choice on the X20 is medium-gage Martin Monel or similar. I had to lower the nut slots slightly to get a good set-up with that gage. Not sure why but it seems almost all guitars ship from the factory with nut slots too high. I like the monels because they are slightly less zingy than PB's on that guitar -- I could dial up the zing and overtones even more with PB's.

The choice of pick also makes a difference. Some picks will pull out more treble, other more bass. Try a pick that is a little sharper-pointed and / or thinner as a starting point.

Last edited by BlueStarfish; 06-22-2021 at 05:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-22-2021, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

I replaced the 80/20 lights that came on both of my X20s with EJ16 PBs, because the sound was too bright for my taste.

Elixir 12's should be plenty bright. It's also not going to sound like a Martin. Neither would a Taylor. For me, the offset sound hole seems to accentuate the bass. I've also found that playing harder to get louder isn't so productive on an X20. A light to moderate touch works fine.

You can also try recording the guitar, or listen when someone else plays it.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 06-22-2021, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the X20. As David said, a lot of guitar tone is taste. I also think if you play one guitar a lot, you are training your ear to that tone. We spend about half our time out and about - used to alternate between boat cruising and RVing, sold the cruising boat, so now it is home or out in the motorhome. When traveling, I generally bring just one guitar. The last few years, it has been either my X7 or X10. The other guitars stay in an undisclosed location.

The guitar that I spend months out with becomes "my favorite." In the case of our last extended trip out (almost a year ago, thanks to the pandemic), it was the X10 that came along. I like the tone and balance on the X10, but when we got home, the X20 sounded huge, by comparison. I decided to bring the X20 this trip. When we're home and I have guitar options, the X20 is the one that makes my ears the happiest. To me, the tone/volume is similar to my Taylor 814ce... but, the X20 wins out.

Before discovering carbon fiber, I would from time to time play different Martins, but always preferred the Taylor 814. Never found a Martin I wanted to bring home. Different tastes.

Back to the X20: I have tried different strings from time to time, but always come back to Elixir PB Nanoweb Lights (12-53). If you are looking for a slightly brighter tone, the Elixir Bronze 80/20 Nanoweb will give you that. The last time I strayed from Elixir, I put on a set of Martin Lifespan strings - not a fan. I have tried D'Addario, as well... just for a change of pace... but always seem happiest with the Elixir PB Nanowebs.

As an experiment: play just the X20 for a couple weeks, then compare it to your Martin. Nice to have the variety, as well. Enjoy!
Old 06-22-2021, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Over the past couple of years I've owned both Emerald and Rainsong guitars. Eventually, I sold the Emeralds and went all-Rainsong because I too found the Emerald tone too warm for my tastes. For that matter, I used to be a Taylor fanboy...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-22-2021, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Over the past couple of years I've owned both Emerald and Rainsong guitars. Eventually, I sold the Emeralds and went all-Rainsong because I too found the Emerald tone too warm for my tastes. For that matter, I used to be a Taylor fanboy...
Isn’t it great that they don’t all sound the same?
Cordoba Stage

Old 06-22-2021, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Isn’t it great that they don’t all sound the same?
You're right....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-22-2021, 07:14 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate it.
I will be buying some Elixir 80/20's today as i'm very used to these so it will be a good bench mark. I'll report back on how it goes.

In answer to BlueStarFish, I tend to mix it up between a flat pick and fingers. I've gone through many picks over the years, but these days have settled on dunlop ultex sharps .73. (and use Ultex XL size Jazz III for electric).

My Martin is beautiful '98 D42K which sounds amazing. Great bass but plenty of top sizzle. I don't expect or even want the Emerald to sound like it, but hearing the two guitar side by side is very telling. The Martin is alive, full, warm and frankly amazing. In comparison the Emerald feels like it has a blanket thrown over it.

I will change the strings and go from there. Thanks for the suggestions from everyone
Old 06-22-2021, 11:55 PM
Charter Member

Great answers …. When I first played my X20 I noticed the sound. It was not what I expected. As has been pointed out, we get used to what we play, and I’d been playing wood guitars. I put away my wood good guitars and for the next couple of weeks, I played the X20 which really gave me a chance to hear what it sounded like as I played a variety of songs and practiced. Now, I love the sound of my X20, yes it’s not like my wood guitars, and that’s great because I now have more options for the music I play! I also agree that the strings you choose will make a difference, and the pick you use (when you use one). It’s like when you get a new pair of shoes that haven’t conformed to your feet. It takes awhile before the comfort level is there. Once I changed the strings on my X20, it did change the sound - think of like a new car, you have to get a feel for it and its quirks!
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 06-23-2021, 04:28 AM

Holy smokes people. I put on some Elixir 80/20's and the guitar has come alive.
I know that changing strings makes a difference, but in this instance its a massive difference. Just been playing for the last hour or so and it's really nice. I mean, really nice. Incredible sustain and a different sound to my wood guitars but has it's own mojo going on. Colour me impressed.
Forgive me for doubting, I just may be a newly converted CF guy...
Old 06-23-2021, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierymusic View Post
I know that changing strings makes a difference, but in this instance its a massive difference. Just been playing for the last hour or so and it's really nice. I mean, really nice. Incredible sustain and a different sound to my wood guitars but has it's own mojo going on. Colour me impressed.
That’s excellent news. I wonder what strings it had on it when you first got it?

It does reinforce something that many have experienced - CF guitars do seem to be rather more sensitive to string type than their wooden counterparts.
Cordoba Stage

Old 06-23-2021, 07:22 AM

Quote:
I'm really glad you found the strings that gives you pleasure to play and listen to your X20. buy a guitar and not be satisfied is a sorrow not to wish to anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
That’s excellent news. I wonder what strings it had on it when you first got it?
I still prefer sweet, darker strings without all that elixir's zing/zang but i know I am a minority. The most muted (and without projection) strings I tried were martin silk and steel, probably his guitar had similar strings ... and maybe even old ones
Old 06-23-2021, 07:32 AM

Quote:
That's great to hear. I've been following the post and suspected it was the strings. Next change, consider the elixir nanoweb pb's. I find the 80/20's to be a little too much of a good thing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber