The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-23-2012, 04:31 PM

To me it doesn't sound too bright.
It sounds a bit thin to me. No guts, few undertones, not very complex.
But when someone other than we guitar weenies hears you playing I'm sure they aren't thinking, boy that Taylor sounds thin.

max
Old 06-23-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Joe,

Again, that was very well done. Thank you!

Your signature says it's a 2008 Fall Limited GS Cocobolo. Does that have the newest GS bracing? I owned a 2007 GS8 that had a nasty metallic sound that I could never get rid of. (So I got rid of the guitar.) Yours sounds much improved to my ears.

If I had to choose, I'd still choose your OM-21 Special, but that was a very nice piece, well recorded and well performed.

- Glenn
Hi Glenn,

Thanks for listening!

I'm not sure if it has the "newest" bracing but it was new at the time.

I find the Taylor works best when it's played softly but firmly -- if that makes sense. It does have a bit of a metallic edge to it.

As much as the Taylor is not a favourite of mine, it is a classic tone nonetheless so I'm glad I have one in the lot.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
The main things that I gain from listening A/B to your Taylor and Martin OM clips:
1. I really like your playing!
2. I like the piece you played on the Martin better.
3. I like the sound of the Taylor just fine, though I recognize the difference in tone. Both are genuine "acoustic guitar" sounds to me.
4. I really need to get some decent speakers to listen to things like this before trying to sound half way intelligent when commenting! I'm trying to compare the tone of two very nice, rather expensive guitars being played through $12 computer speakers. (No, they were free hand-me-downs...) Not a very wise thing to do, I'm sure!

cotten
Thanks cotten!

As for both being genuine acoustic guitar sounds, I did skip the ES this time around...
Old 06-23-2012, 04:34 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Hey Dennis, if you want one just like it, you know where they sell them! LOL
Old 06-23-2012, 04:36 PM

Thanks everyone for listening and posting.

I'm relatively new to making sound clips and I'm still looking for ways to improve them.

It's a lot of fun being able to noodle away and share on the AGF!

Cheers,

Joe
Old 06-23-2012, 04:38 PM
G625 mistral-k

i have to say i really love your playing. I am not sure how you decide which guitar to pick up and play as each one has such a beautiful voice. You certainly know how to bring out the best in each instrument with your playing and when I thought i really loved the Bourgeois, I found myself mesmerized by the santa cruz, so thanks for sharing!

I think we would definitely enjoy an evening kicking back with you playing each one...
Old 06-23-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt Beach View Post
i have to say i really love your playing. I am not sure how you decide which guitar to pick up and play as each one has such a beautiful voice. You certainly know how to bring out the best in each instrument with your playing and when I thought i really loved the Bourgeois, I found myself mesmerized by the santa cruz, so thanks for sharing!

I think we would definitely enjoy an evening kicking back with you playing each one...
Thanks for listening!

I keep my "dry" sounding guitars (SCGC RS and Gibson L-00) in standard tuning -- to play fingerstyle blues or flatpicking.

I have two guitars in DADGAD -- one with more sustain (Bourgeois SJ) and one with stronger note fundamentals (H&D OM).

My Taylor is usually tuned in some experimental tuning.

And my Martin is usually my reference -- it's the guitar I can play anything on, from country stuff to lush DADGAD fingerstyle. Right now it's in some variation of open E.

Right now, the Bourgeois SJ is my main day to day guitar.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Hi Joe,
It's interesting to listen to that clip. There's almost a total disconnect between the beautiful sonority of the lowered bass notes and the upper melody notes, as if they were played on two different instruments.
Actually that's one reason I prefer the GA over the GS... The bass on the GS sounds more like a bass guitar, whereas the other strings sound like guitar, so it's not really 'balanced'. If I could choose all over again for my own purchase, I'd go for a GA instead. Good playing by Joe as usual!
Old 06-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Cocobologist

Frankly, I like the tone of both for different reasons. The Martin OM sounds very rich and warm, with more emphasis on the mids but lacking a bit in the highs. The Taylor sounds very clean and refreshing - Great for recording, but could use a bit more body in the mids. If you could put the best of both guitars into one, you'd have a clear winner.

Excellent playing, by the way. Really enjoyed listening to both pieces -- Thanks for sharing!

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 06-23-2012, 07:34 PM

You sir are an incredible guitar player! If I had my old First Act acoustic guitar, I'd love to hear you play it. If you can pry one from a kid nearby, I'd love to hear you play something as cheap as possible for us. I love the Taylor sound by the way.

2021 Taylor 114e
2020 Martin 000-18
2020 Martin LXME
Old 06-23-2012, 07:45 PM

Best advise: trade it for a Larrivee!
Martin '11 D Mahogany (FSC) Golden Era type
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
Yamaha '72 G-170A (Japanese solid top)
Garcia '67 Model 3
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
Old 06-23-2012, 07:47 PM

Very nice...doesnt sound too bright at all.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:20 PM

I like the sound of both your Taylor and your Martin, but I would have to say that, for my tastes, I like your Taylor better. I just like the clarity and amount of notes you can just pile up on top of one another without having to worry about notes crashing into one another. I'm thinking of possibly getting a Martin to pair with my Baranik just for a change of pace since my Baranik will be a more modern sounding guitar. I'm thinking that maybe an OM-42 would be a good guitar to pair with it.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Ill extend the accolades.. Your playing and musical taste is fantastic, I really enjoyed all your pieces, on all the guitars. I think its hard to compare these types of things, when all are at the top of the class. Its like picking a "best" picture at the Oscars. Regardless of who wins, generally its just great to appreciate all of the top level work (and here, instruments!), each is great in it's own way..

Id love to know what microphones, placement, and reverb you use in your recordings.. And any other tips. All your pieces sounded wonderful to me..
Old 06-23-2012, 09:28 PM

Your playing is superb, you'd make a $100 junker sound like gold.

The Taylor's tone is exquisite, a bit scooped but full & clear on the bass whereas the Martin is earthier & a little more intimate, not as spectacular as the Taylor but I'd rather have the Martin behind my fingers for 100% of playing time if I had to make a choice.

Either way 2 superb guitars & a reviewing player to do them justice.

Martin D-28
Maton EA808 Australian
Maton EBG808 Performer
Cole Clark FL2-12
Suzuki Kiso J200

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell