The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-24-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute View Post
I understand what you're saying, but personally, I look at these coffee house "for tips" gigs as advertising and write off a commensurate amount on my taxes. I usually make a few bucks in tips and it just supplements my normal gigging income.
I get your point and I'd be lying if I told you I (we) have never played some "freebies" for the exposure. Especially, if an establishment has a good "draw" or there is healthy foot traffic for passerby's to hear us.

However, the reason I resent this as a practice is that it devalues your time, talent and that of other musicians. It also encourages other establishments to do likewise and obtain free entertainment (aka free labor). Any ongoing business establishment can certainly cough up a few bucks as a minimum to cover expenses! Again, it's just common courtesy and, I think good business practice. Just my .02 cents
Taylor 914ce
Martin D28e Modern Deluxe
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Custom Shop '55 Stratocaster (Sunburst Relic)
Fender Custom Shop '51 Nocaster (Blonde Relic)

Last edited by gjensen7; 05-24-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:45 PM

The only places that I play that fall into this category are places that support hobby players. There are a couple coffee shops around her that don't pay, but they're also willing to let some people who play stuff that might not bring crowds in. I like to support people who are willing to give those artists some exposure. Some of the best players I know around here can't get the same gigs I can because they just aren't in the same demand as someone like me who sings and plays cover songs.

But you're right, in an ideal world, we'd all be making that UK money

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 05-24-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute View Post
The only places that I play that fall into this category are places that support hobby players.
But you're right, in an ideal world, we'd all be making that UK money
Point well taken! By the way...Walnut Creek isn't exactly a cheap place to live!

For what it's worth, I've found that many of these establishments end up taking in more $$ when live music is offerred...just from family and friends of the band!

I'll give you one good example. There is a local wine bar where we do play on a fairly regular basis. They usually pay about $300 for a 3 hour set. When we are there, the place is packed with friends, family, business associates...you name it. There happens to be a few fairly affluent acuaintences of ours who buy a number $300 + bottles of wine during the evening. When we aren't there......they aren't there, so the wine bar more than makes up for the fees.

Coffee houses are a different animal...it takes a lot of specialty drinks to cover a healthy band fee!

Perhaps you can locate some alternate venues that do offer some sort of flat fee (plus tips) arrangement? If you and other hobby musicians start playing elsewhere that pay, your "freebie" establishment may be forced to at least offer something. Just a thought...
Taylor 914ce
Martin D28e Modern Deluxe
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Custom Shop '55 Stratocaster (Sunburst Relic)
Fender Custom Shop '51 Nocaster (Blonde Relic)
Old 05-24-2007, 02:28 PM

I'm actually doing just fine on paying gigs. Like I said, when I play a free show, it's usually to support my friends and bring more people to the places where they play. I have enough time that it's not a hassle for me to play a free gig every now and then. It doesn't hurt my income and I can cancel a free gig on short notice.

I generally do pretty well with the tips at these places anyway. It's just that in the Bay Area, there aren't that many places willing to support instrumental fingerstyle players by paying them for gigs.

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 05-24-2007, 03:11 PM

I don't gig, but my 18 yo son does. He has a four-piece electric band and an acoustic duo. The band gets between $300 and $400 per show when they do covers. When they set up shows to play their originals, they often play for the door (read little $).

His duo is much more lucrative. They usually get a guaruntee of $100-$200 from the venue, plus tips. Its not uncommon for the tips to exceed the guarantee.

He does this as his part-time job (he's a college student). It takes care of all his financial needs and is better than a real job.

Whether full band or duo, they usually play 3-4 hours, and take maybe one or two 15 minute breaks. If the guy(s) he's playing with didn't want to take breaks, I doubt if my son would EVER stop. He would play all night long if he could. He doesn't understand when his bandmates get tired.

06 Taylor 410-CE
98 Fender Am Std tele
07 Ibanez AS-73
08 Fender Roadhouse strat
Fender DRRI
a few other assorted guitars and amps
Old 05-24-2007, 04:53 PM
O'Dadgad rules.

as a gigging musician i make anywhere from $20 to $50/hr + tips. i don't play in coffeehouses all that much...only occasionally (about 2x a year) and don't have to. i find that gigging gives me opportunity to meet new people. i've been asked to play parties, weddings, and it does turn into some good $$. gigging has paid for all of my gear short of my guitars, and reaching the point of not needing anything else right now is basically $$ in the bank! i travel with a bit more gear than the typical player for a solo, but it all fits nicely wherever i play. there are a few restaurants that like my stuff and they bring me back monthly. trying to learn to sing some James Taylor, Keaggy, Otis Redding....something background but to bring a new level to what i do acoustically.

wanting to hit some places in louisville or cincy or nashville in the near future but don't know if they'll gimme the equivalent of $20/hr locally. guess i'll have to send some CDs....
The Family
The Les Paul I built

My live rig:
Mogami Gold TRS
Rane AP13
Ultrasound AG-50DS2, Fishman Loudbox
Boss RC-50
PP2+

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell