The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-19-2024, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Smile This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post
One of America's top 3 (or 4) acoustic guitar manufacturers, reliable output (not much variation between examples of any particular model), incredible Customer Service, lifetime warranty, easy to play necks (that can be adjusted simply instead of a full reset), a huge line to pick from, 50 years of history and a sound that many (though not all) really like. These are all reasons MANY (though certainly not "everybody") recommend Taylors.

Having said that the guitar you love to play is the guitar you love to play. While other people may have some predisposed notions and biases if you like it then it (generally) doesn't matter what it says on the headstock. Play a bunch. Taylors and non Taylors. Then pick the one(s) that YOU like.
Nuff said. Talk2Me is right

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-19-2024, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Popcorn please.......
Old 03-19-2024, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post
One of America's top 3 (or 4) acoustic guitar manufacturers, reliable output (not much variation between examples of any particular model), incredible Customer Service, lifetime warranty, easy to play necks (that can be adjusted simply instead of a full reset), a huge line to pick from, 50 years of history and a sound that many (though not all) really like. These are all reasons MANY (though certainly not "everybody") recommend Taylors.

Having said that the guitar you love to play is the guitar you love to play. While other people may have some predisposed notions and biases if you like it then it (generally) doesn't matter what it says on the headstock. Play a bunch. Taylors and non Taylors. Then pick the one(s) that YOU like.
This.

What's the big attraction? The question you should be asking is do YOU like them. If you don't then buy something else.

Taylor has many good points... They actively work towards sustainability and produce instruments that push the envelope of advanced technology. Bob Taylor's development of the NT neck joint is but a single example.

Taylor's quality control is top tier and they respond rapidly to any problem that might crop up. They do not have any problem with their binding staying on, as just another example of what a quality product means.
Old 03-19-2024, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cip View Post
I was at GC and the sales rep let me demo a Murphy lab gibson and 2 high end Taylors (2000+ $). And both of the Taylors were so dense and heavy in the same way versus the Gibson.
Well...with respect and knowing it's just my outlook, are you using weight as a barometer of a good guitar? That'd be as low as it gets when I look for a guitar. Sonic is at the very top of the list, followed by playability and feel. Secondarily I just browsed the Sweetwater website (they weigh their guitars) and couldn't find a single model over 4.6 pounds, that's light. Conversely, it was really easy to find Gibsons, including Dove's and Hummingbird's, that were over 5 pounds. Not to be too much of a contrarian here but something (from ten thousand feet) sounds um.....weird.

I believe your interpretation at the guitar shop but I'd in no manner apply that as the norm. It's just not.
Old 03-19-2024, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Sonically, they sound very tinny and bright. It's almost like what it would sound like if playing an electric guitar that became acoustic. And I'm talking high end ($2000+) Taylors.
Everyone has different tastes as well as different levels of hearing. The acoustic market is mostly older folks and many of them have diminished high frequency response in their hearing. A Taylor may not sound thin to them.
There's also people who want that strong high frequency response because they just like it.

I'm personally not a fan, for the reasons you described. But, it's important to understand that there isn't a best acoustic sound, just like there isn't a best song. Tastes vary.
Old 03-19-2024, 05:57 PM

Taylor makes fine guitars, but there are plenty of other fine guitar makers. I'd buy a guitar from Denny Zager before I ever bought another Martin though.
Old 03-19-2024, 06:14 PM

I own Gibsons, Martin's, Taylor's, and a few others. My tastes change by the hour. I'll play, think it sounds great, come back an hour later and put it down in disgust, only to grab another.

Acoustic guitars are like different crayons. If you used the same crayon all the time the picture would be boring.

Last edited by Tycobb73; 03-20-2024 at 03:11 AM.
Old 03-19-2024, 06:45 PM

Default Why Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
They usually come pretty well setup and easy to play right off the bat, whereas many others need setups right away. So often times, a Taylor off the rack will play easier next to the Martin on the wall next to it.

That's about all I've got on this one, I'm pretty much with you.
==================================
You pretty much hit the nail on the head, to me anyway. It's ease of play. I played a 150e before setting on a Yamaha 820-12. The 150 was way easier to play, but it sounded like a harpsicord. The Yammie was a little harder to play, but the setup solved 90% of that problem. The Yammie seems to have a lot more mid-range, which I was looking for. No complaints with the Yamaha.
Old 03-19-2024, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

I find Taylor guitars to have a lot of clarity. They are “bright” on the high side, and they have clear, loud bass notes without any “muddy” sound. That’s how my very basic 114e sounds to me, anyway. I like the 100-200 series, at least the ones from 10 years ago. I haven’t played any Taylor recently, other than a 224-ce K DLX, which is a Koa model that is outstanding to my ears. But again, it’s been a couple of years since I played that one…My 114e is a 2010 model.

My only issue with Taylor is their higher end models. I don’t know how significant the differences are today, between the 100-200 series vs the higher end models, but in years past it wasn’t enough difference to justify the significant price difference. The lower end Taylors were very good, IMO, for what they cost. They sounded as good as the higher end models.

If you check out a 100 or 200 series vs other makes in the same price ranges, you may come to appreciate Taylor more than the experience that you related to us. For me, the lower tier Taylors are where it’s at…BUT that is MY experience. Everyone is different.

If I bought another Taylor it would be the 214 or the 224-ce Koa DLX. Once we get above the 200 series price range I’m going with something else.

JMO.

Last edited by Pickcity; 03-22-2024 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-19-2024, 07:34 PM

Quote:
I always have been told the lighter the guitar, the lighter the bracing
Many factors contribute to weight. Braces aren't typically heavy enough to make a big difference all by themselves.

Quote:
But Taylors are always very heavy and dense.
Always? Every model? Compared to which other guitars?

Quote:
Why does everybody recommend Taylors?
"Everybody" doesn't.

It seems like you've interpreted some questionable generalities and subjective opinions as being universal facts. I recommend you play more guitars, and do so without expectations going in.
Old 03-19-2024, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Smile What year?

As for bright Taylors, sure many are.

But they have a zillion models and have been in biz for 50 years.

Want warm and fat tone? Try a cedar topped mahogany model. Or a LKSM!

I usually gravitate to pre 2000 (Non-NT) Taylors. Still bolt necks but lighter with less mass at the neck join.

So MANY guitars, so little time and so much desire to lump them together.

Every one of every model will differ slightly, and many will differ a lot. And many models will sound very different from each other.

But with Taylor almost all will play great. And if they don’t, they can be dialed in quick by a competent Taylor trained tech.

Go forth and enjoy the buffet

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

Last edited by Guitars44me; 03-19-2024 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-19-2024, 07:55 PM

They play well and have a modern articulate sound that many players like. Recently they changed their guitar design. My opinion, after giving them many thousands of my $ as recently as this year, is that their American made guitars no longer deserve the prices they ask.

I realize this is harsh, and there are great people working at the company, but I feel they ruined the sound of their guitars. There's entirely too much focus on marketing and upselling and not enough on making lifetime instruments for musicians. The Mexican made 100s and 200 series sound as good as their expensive stuff to me.

I regret my decision to buy a 417e sunburst recently. It sounded good compared to other Taylors at the store. Once I got it home and out to gigs, it sounded weak and lifeless compared to my Martins, Yamaha, Guild, etc. I had to sell it for peanuts. I own one very nice playing and sounding Taylor 254ce 12 string. It's the last money Taylor will see from me I'm afraid.
Old 03-19-2024, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

I own three Taylor’s. All hog x braced 322,hog 362 12 string and a 512 12 fret. They are all fantastic guitars. The 512 is for sale just because I prefer the hog tops. Fit and finish are better than my Martin,Gibsons and equal to my Larrivees. I love variety.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 2016 J35 & LG2
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 03-19-2024, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

I remember looking back when I was a beginner guitar player. I made judgments and decisions about what guitar sounded good and bad...
I have to say that I made decisions that were bad at that time... to my ears.. even to the point of selling some good custom made guitars... Which I thought I could find something better ...at the time.
Since then, I have owned several good Taylor guitars. And one custom that I bought used is the best guitar that I've ever played.
Also i own a classic Guild 12 string jumbo.. and a Limited Edtion Taylor 12 string that was very reasonably priced when new. The Taylor jumbo 12 has exceptional sound and bass.
So just be prepared for your ears to change over the years. And you will look back and smile and laugh at your self once in a while.!
Enjoy the ride!

6 string... Taylor GS7 Custom / GO 818e 1st Edition

12 string... Taylor GO 358e / Guild F512 (79)

Baritone…. Guild 258e (8 string)

Last edited by jemartin; 03-19-2024 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-19-2024, 08:34 PM

I like a full sounding guitar when I play by myself. I have found a brighter sounding instrument works better with a larger group with other instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion