The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-16-2014, 06:19 PM

Default Recording software, 64bit, laptop update etc...

My previous laptop was running XP, Cakewalk Guitar Tracks 3, no problem, till it decided it was time to visit the Great Gig In The Sky (see what I did there?).

Bought a HP Elitebook 4 gig ram, 64 bit Windows 7. After much chewing about I eventually got the E-mu 0404 to sync, and downloaded the ASIO drivers.

Unfortunately, the Cakewalk won't work properly in 64 bit. I installed it ok, and I can import audio into it via CD (just to test audio) , but when that audio plays, it still plays out of the laptop speakers rather than the interface. Weird. When laptop speakers are disabled! All other audio, eg through Windows media player, plays through the E-mu. Very odd.

However that's an aside. The main problem is recording thru microphone. It just sounds all....wrong. too low, too much hiss, and distorted. It's a complete no go. I presume its the compatibility issue which is the problem.

So I've heard that Cakewalk guitar tracks can still be used on 64 bit system, although not officially sanctioned by Cakewalk, but I don't know how to tweak it. The Cakewalk forum doesn't seem to be used as much as it used to be.

Alternatively, can anyone recommend some software, I've heard Reaper is good. I will be recording acoustic, occasionally electric, may utilise drum loops on the odd track or two.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:43 PM

Since you can download a fully functioning copy of REAPER for a free 60 day eval, with no restrictions or limitations, and since the download takes nearly no time or space on your hard disk, and since you can even do a portable install to reduce system impact, you might want to just grab it and try it. http://www.reaper.fm/download.php

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 04-16-2014, 11:57 PM

Was using GTP4 Pro on a 64 bit Win7 system with no issues. That was version 4 however and it looks like they are not doing Guitar Tracks Pro anymore in favor of Sonar.

If you don't want to upgrade to Sonar I agree to try Reaper trial to see if it works. Additionally Audacity (free) may be all you need. Audacity is as simple as it gets IMHO but has limited functionality for things like MIDI and plugins.
Ovation Celebrity CK-047 FKOA
Line6 Variax JTV59
Taylor T-5z Pro

Peavey ValveKing 20
Fishman Loudbox Artist
TC Electronic Hall of Fame reverb
Electro-Harmonix Pulsar tremolo
Boss A/B/Y switch
Steinberg UR22 USB interface
Old 04-17-2014, 06:29 AM

Yeah grab Reaper, then perhaps a 30 day all access pass at Groove 3 ($15.00) for some great tutorials they offer on Reaper. When your done with them plenty of other vids to learn from. I have actually bought and dl'd some and now am going to do the online 30 day deal. I am putting aside a little time to hone in on stuff I am just not quite sure of. Here is their site
http://www.groove3.com/str/access-it-all.html
The vids I bought were very well presented
Old 04-17-2014, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

I have never used it so take with a grain of salt but Reaper does seem to be a very well favored inexpensive yet more or less comparable alternative to things like Logic, Pro Tools, CueBase etc.

As for Audacity it is my understanding it still cannot play effects in real time. IMO in todays digital DAW world in terms of work flow, efficiency of time spent, and efficiency learning about the tools (effects) of recording, not being able to hear the adjustments while doing them, leaves it unnecessarily cumbersome belying any real value of it's being free

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-17-2014, 08:47 AM

Another vote for Reaper. The user forums at cockos.com can also help with most questions if you get stuck - note that the 400+ page user manual is very useful!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

Last edited by MikeBmusic; 04-17-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Another vote for Reaper. The use rforums at cockos.com can also help wiht most questions if you get stuck - note that the 400+ page user manual is very useful!
This is true. However in my opinion Reaper is not a beginners DAW. I read every page of the manual and kept an eye on the forums. My digital audio recording started back in the early 90's with Emagic's Logic Audio, then Cubase(through some awful years), my current DAW is Cubase 7 Artist. Perhaps when one is used to a certain workflow and mindset, it may be harder starting fresh with something new. For audio routing Reapers shines, for midi, it sucks. and I am used to editing objects/items in Cubase and found it less fun in Reaper. For the price Reaper can't be beat. I may eventually buy it. I stopped using it after a fair demo period. The groove 3 vids did help a lot and got me there faster. I bought the Reaper extensions vid. and see they have added "Reaper signal flow explained" A pal of mine here in town jumped ship from lite OEM versions of Cubase and went to Reaper and he is happy, but doesn't do much midi. Reaper is light on it's feet cpu wise. and I would advise re-skinning from the get go from the Reaper stash. 64 bit Reaper seems to bridge 32 bit plugs better then Cubase
Old 04-17-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtrfinger View Post
My previous laptop was running XP, Cakewalk Guitar Tracks 3, no problem, till it decided it was time to visit the Great Gig In The Sky (see what I did there?).

Bought a HP Elitebook 4 gig ram, 64 bit Windows 7. After much chewing about I eventually got the E-mu 0404 to sync, and downloaded the ASIO drivers.

Unfortunately, the Cakewalk won't work properly in 64 bit. I installed it ok, and I can import audio into it via CD (just to test audio) , but when that audio plays, it still plays out of the laptop speakers rather than the interface. Weird. When laptop speakers are disabled! All other audio, eg through Windows media player, plays through the E-mu. Very odd.

However that's an aside. The main problem is recording thru microphone. It just sounds all....wrong. too low, too much hiss, and distorted. It's a complete no go. I presume its the compatibility issue which is the problem.

So I've heard that Cakewalk guitar tracks can still be used on 64 bit system, although not officially sanctioned by Cakewalk, but I don't know how to tweak it. The Cakewalk forum doesn't seem to be used as much as it used to be.

Alternatively, can anyone recommend some software, I've heard Reaper is good. I will be recording acoustic, occasionally electric, may utilise drum loops on the odd track or two.
I just noticed your emu-0404 isn't Windows 7 ready yet. I suspected as much as that was the case the last time I looked. You might want to look at the Steinberg UR22 for $150.00. nice sound good drivers, just a thought
Old 04-25-2014, 01:05 PM

Thanks everyone - downloaded REAPER, everything working a treat.

Some issues with editing though, I'm joining the Reaper forum. Can't work out how to select part of an "item", and then either add an effect, fade out etc, just to that particular bit. I'll be paying for it though, as the recording itself works so well, with hardly any tweaking.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:16 PM

There are a number of ways to do what you are asking about - one is to split the take/track so that item is a separate item, then you can do whatever you want to just that part.
The other way is to add your plug-in, then automate to only do what you want during that segment of the track.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-25-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
There are a number of ways to do what you are asking about - one is to split the take/track so that item is a separate item, then you can do whatever you want to just that part.
The other way is to add your plug-in, then automate to only do what you want during that segment of the track.
The item editing in Reaper drove me nuts and straight back to Cubase I went. Good advice though
Old 04-25-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtrfinger View Post
Thanks everyone - downloaded REAPER, everything working a treat.

Some issues with editing though, I'm joining the Reaper forum. Can't work out how to select part of an "item", and then either add an effect, fade out etc, just to that particular bit. I'll be paying for it though, as the recording itself works so well, with hardly any tweaking.
The 400 page manual is very handy. Takes time though. Never ended up buying Reaper so didn't join in on the forum. After you get your head around it more get into the Reaper extensions, go to Reaper Stash and change the themes (skins) to your liking. I may end up buying Reaper to import stems from Cubase or may get Harrison Mixbuss for the same purpose when I feel that one has more kinks worked out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD