The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-16-2014, 06:20 AM

Default Jecklin Disk?

I know that many of you "top level guys" have experimented with Jecklin Disk recording in the past and I'm curious to hear your PRESENT thoughts on it.

I've perused the past topics and found many references to it, but it seems like advocates have progressed to spaced pair cardiod use for the most part. I have a mid-priced set of SDC omnis that I could play with, so I'm curious if anyone still advocates Jecklin Disk recording. I'm already aware of the consequences of more room sound, but is this a viable technique for solo guitar?

I've read many of the technical reference works, but they are obviously slanted towards advocating the technique to begin with.

Thanks, all!
Old 04-16-2014, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

J-disk mic placement has many positive attributes and is worth experimenting with. You can make a J-disk yourself. Search the web for DIY examples. One potential downside (or upside) is the room in which you record. It will be more prevalent in the recording.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

It's certainly worth trying. One issue I found with it is that your mic placement tends to be a bit more limited, just due to the size of the disk. I found, in my room that I wanted to mic closer. I got to where I was so close that I tended to hit the disk with my hand :-) and that still sounded a bit distant to me. In a great room where you're fine being further away, and also fine using omni's, it might be a different story. I also found in the end, that although I got some nice-sounding recordings using it, that there wasn't enough "special" about it that I couldn't get a similar sound with, say ORTF. But I still have my disk hanging around, maybe I should give it another shot!
Old 04-16-2014, 08:52 PM

I like a jecklin disc setup as a main pair for orchestral recordings with a pair of nice omnis (DPA, Schoeps, Earhtworks). I don't think I'd try it for close mixing or any sort of tracking. There are much better options for mic techniques in those situations, IMHO.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 04-18-2014, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I know that many of you "top level guys" have experimented with Jecklin Disk recording in the past and I'm curious to hear your PRESENT thoughts on it.
Hi Rudy...

I built and experimented extensively with the Jecklin disk and a pair of good quality omni directional microphones, and recorded that way for years. It's one of my favorite ways to capture solo instruments (and choirs/orchestras/ensembles).

Solo instruments from close in (inches/feet), and choirs/ensembles from further away (as in yards away).

I once used the Jecklin Disk to record an amazing rhythm player on a single conga, and it created/maintained a wonderful stereo field percussion track which perfectly supported the main player without dominating the mix.

It's one of three typical choices I consider with solo guitar. Since it is using omni directional mics, it doesn't suffer from (or exhibit) proximity effects. So I can be as close/far as I choose (appropriate to the room/space) and not affect the tone of the recording.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD