The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-17-2018, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Since it serves as, among other things, my alarm clock, I keep it close enough to hit snooze.
Takamine F-451S 12 String (1977)
Old 09-17-2018, 05:58 PM

beats me, i dont even know where it is now until i look for it, i might use the phone a couple times a week
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 09-17-2018, 07:34 PM

Mine is in the kitchen on top of the microwave with my keys and sunglasses.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:30 AM

It's within the same reach as my alarm clock, glasses, and firearm.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:09 AM
Guitar Gourmet

It is wherever it is. If it is on my belt, it is on the floor. If it is on the charger it is far away and downstairs. The only time I both to keep it close is during family or company emergencies. That isn't very often.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-18-2018, 07:44 AM

My cell phone is nowhere near me when I sleep. I refuse to be tied to that thing.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
My cell phone is nowhere near me when I sleep. I refuse to be tied to that thing.
The thread is actually about the health ramifications, and if it's the only phone in the house how is it tying anyone down more than a wired phone on a night stand?

My concern was having it within a few feet of my head all night. My iPhone does an icloud backup when it's charging and that should be about it, but you never know.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 09-18-2018, 10:27 PM

Mine is on my nightstand since it's my alarm and travel clock, and in case of emergencies from my kids (one of whom often works nights) and my grandkids (one of whom is in the military and stationed in another part of the country and the other who often works nights). Additionally, both my kids (40s) and my grandkids (20s) often communicate by texting, so in order to keep up my wife and I do the same. I mean, it IS the 21st century y'know.

Our mobile phones are also invaluable when we are working races and/or traveling...and we travel a lot. We have a landline at home but only because our mobile service is spotty in certain parts of the house. Most of the people we know and work with, including most of our families, use only mobile service.

I'm 67 and have found my "smart" phone to be a very valuable tool.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:39 AM

Downstairs, in my purse, at the back of the house (bedroom is in the front). You see, I'm a dinosaur with a landline (okay, VOIP)--and that phone (cordless) sits on the nightstand in a charging cradle. I do keep an old iPhone 6 in a bedside clock-radio charger, which lets me use it as an alarm (the cellphone's own alarm tone, music from the hard drive playing through the clock radio, or an actual radio station). But it's wi-fi only.

My husband keeps his cell on the nightstand. The hospital for whom he works replaced beeper pagers with the "PerfectServe" smartphone paging app. If he fails to answer a call or page--no matter when or where (unless we're on vacation and someone else is covering)--there could be disastrous consequences for both the patient and our resources (if a lawsuit exceeds his malpractice coverage). We rarely go out to movies any more---he has to go out to the lobby to take calls. Broadway shows are okay...because when in NYC we're on vacation, someone else is covering, and he doesn't get called. (Still puts his phone into Airplane Mode, though).

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:26 AM

Default In our house, we've replced the landline with this system

We found a great set of Bluetooth connected phones that we place around the house. We leave our cell phones in the kitchen to charge, and have them connected by Bluetooth to a base phone. Then, the base phone connects to the cordless extension phones by the usual wireless system. It's seamless - walk in the door and your cell phone has instantly connected with the home phone system.

The system is made by Panasonic and available most anywhere. Once we found this system, it was practical to drop the landline. The model is: Panasonic KX-TG7875S Link2Cell Bluetooth Enabled Phone.

Rick
Old 09-19-2018, 06:55 AM

Under an arms length on the nightstand.

It’s my universal device.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 09-19-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootch View Post
Under an arms length on the nightstand.

It’s my universal device.
The cute Joanna Stern and Gheorghe Muresan in yesterday's Wall St. Journal plus email I got from Verizon after some important app updates has me thinking the iPhone will be my universal device more than ever.

Also, the time with new OS version is showing for all the time I'm with the phone it's not exactly bad. If the new "screen time" feature did not count texts as social media it would look like my phone is 95% tool, reference device and old fashioned telephone.

At first I could not figure out why it showed the amount of social media use but then realized it was text messages. A lot of my days are filled with vendors and business area managers using text messages as business communication. I do a lot of volunteer work and the circle of leadership there is a lot of text messaging.

Logging the use patterns can get really interesting. Our Verizon bill does a version of that and now our phones do more. For work our security appliances show use and the meshed access points show where and how people move around even if they don't connect to the Wi-Fi.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:30 AM

Please forgive me, but I just have to say it. A funny answer would be...I sleep IN my cell for the next 5 to 10.

Thank you..try the veal
Old 09-19-2018, 08:50 AM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Murphy - the jury is very much out here, BUT, if there was a real clear connection between cellphones and brain cancers, you'd see a massive increase in the number of cases occurring. Also note that brain cells do not turn over rapidly, which makes them less subject to changes from radiation.

That being said, if it were me, I would place the phone about three to six feet away from my body. They do emit radio frequencies and continual exposure IMO, is not a good idea.

I hope that your middle of the night calls are few or non-existent.

best,

Rick

The gist of the video: RF used by cell phones is non-ionizing and is not cancer causing.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:50 AM

I've never understood why some people love to hate smart phones so much, as if they are some autonomous force of evil that must be handled with extreme caution and used under a doctor's supervision. Any piece of technology can be abused or an unhealthy obsession, but that shouldn't keep you from making it work for YOU. The phone isn't the issue; it's the person.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic