The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-02-2020, 09:17 AM

Default NGD! Halcyon SD45

Just received my new guitar from Ed Bond at Halcyon. Ed and I worked together on spec'ing this thing based on an old thread by someone else who had Ed build a "J-45 replica" and he loved it. I had become extremely frustrated trying to find a decent 1950's-1960's J-45 that didn't cost a couple of body parts and/or didn't need to spend a year in a repair shop.
I had played a Halcyon that my sister-in-law had Ed build for her - quite a different guitar than I wanted but I was very impressed with the build quality and the sound and feel.
So, back in the summer of 2018, I got in touch with Ed and plunked down my deposit for #261. Ed listened to everything I said - which was a lot - about what I wanted and he had the notes from the previous build. He was spectacular to work with!
We agreed he would build it as close to a J-45 as he could - used the J-45 bracing architecture and, of course, spruce over mahogany. We went with the 1 11/16" nut width (as opposed to the Gibson 1 23/32") mostly because I actually prefer 1 11/16".
OK, it took longer than I had expected but there was a bonus in waiting - by the time he started, the CITES prohibition on rosewood was lifted. Great for me because that was my only real disappointment when we started - we were going to have to use grenadillo for the fretboard and the bridge - not terrible but, not what I preferred. So, by being patient, I got rosewood!
Ed didn't like any of his standard pickguards on this guitar. I didn't want the "batwing" so, we settled for the "tiger stripe" and Ed traced a pickguard directly from a 1930's Gibson. The funny thing is that is looks almost exactly like what Collings uses on their CJ35.

Bottom line: I love it! It plays like a dream! Does it sound like a J-45? Well, it sounds like many J-45s that I've played but, no two of them sound the same so, yes and no. I have a friend's Collings CJ35 here at my house. The Collings is virtually new and has been played very little. It was a good comparison - the Collings is a tiny bit brighter - little enough that it could just be a string difference. The CJ35 has 1 3/4" nut width so, I don't like the way it feels and plays as much. The Halcyon sounds fuller and throatier - what I like in an acoustic guitar. Since the Collings is more decorated - my Halcyon was ordered with "no bling" - the Collings is prettier. I'm not much on "pretty". And, the Collings cost more than twice what I paid for my Halcyon. I wouldn't trade for the Collings.

A big shout-out and thank you to Ed Bond - Halcyon Guitars!
1969 Yamaha FG-150
1987 MIJ E Series Telecaster
1972 Gibson SG-100 (eat your heart out!)
Halcyon #261 SD45 (highly customized)
a "beater" Johnson resonator significantly altered cone
Kanilea ST-1 Premium (tenor uke)
Kala Concert and Soprano ukes
Old 12-02-2020, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on your new guitar--sounds and looks like you got just what you wanted!

Enjoy!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 12-02-2020, 10:53 AM

I love it! Strong GAS!

Congratulations, Al.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:38 AM

Congrats Al! I love Ed's work, and I totally dig this interpretation of the classic! I hope you enjoy every note!
Old 12-02-2020, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Are those chrome Gotoh tuners with the aged finish? I like the gleam being blunted a bit. The guitar looks great and I bet it sounds huge.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:29 PM

Default yep, Gotoh 21:1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
Are those chrome Gotoh tuners with the aged finish? I like the gleam being blunted a bit. The guitar looks great and I bet it sounds huge.
Thanks! It does have a big and bold sound and plays like a dream.
1969 Yamaha FG-150
Old 12-03-2020, 05:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Congrats!

To thread starter:

Thanks for sharing your joy. And big congrats to you. This one looks wonderful and really got me very very curious (and interested in a Halcyon).

Would like to hear more from you regarding the sound, especially when it passes the "run in" period. And see more photos if you can.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:40 AM

The firestripe pickguard is classy.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:31 AM

Default more for suaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by suaku View Post
To thread starter:

Thanks for sharing your joy. And big congrats to you. This one looks wonderful and really got me very very curious (and interested in a Halcyon).

Would like to hear more from you regarding the sound, especially when it passes the "run in" period. And see more photos if you can.
Definitely worth checking out Ed's work. As I play it in, I can tell you more but it already sounds big, responsive, balanced, and the way a guitar is supposed to sound to my ears.
Here's another picture or 2 but, you can also just scroll through all the photos - including the build process at http://aldavison.net/HalcyonSD45 Sorry I don't know how to thumbnail these so, you just have to click on the filenames.

Please keep in mind that I ordered a very specific guitar build with very specific wood choices. Mine is not one of Ed's most beautiful guitars by any stretch. He builds some truly gorgeous guitars using some spectacularly beautiful woods for most of his customers. He also used different bracing on mine at my request. But, that's the beauty of working with a luthier isn't it? To get a finely made guitar to your specifications. Ask me anything but there are others on this board who can also give you very good feedback. I'm no expert - just enthusiastic.
1969 Yamaha FG-150
Old 12-04-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Plays_Poorly View Post
Please keep in mind that I ordered a very specific guitar build with very specific wood choices. Mine is not one of Ed's most beautiful guitars by any stretch. He builds some truly gorgeous guitars using some spectacularly beautiful woods for most of his customers. He also used different bracing on mine at my request. But, that's the beauty of working with a luthier isn't it? To get a finely made guitar to your specifications. Ask me anything but there are others on this board who can also give you very good feedback. I'm no expert - just enthusiastic.
Al, when you have a moment, I would very much like to hear more about the bracing and why you chose it.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

I am interested in the wavey grain top. Did you pick that one specifically? Is it Adi? Sometimes character tops like that have an appeal over the more regular. Some visual grit or something; I like it.
Old 12-10-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdto View Post
Al, when you have a moment, I would very much like to hear more about the bracing and why you chose it.
Hey! The bracing was a close copy of the Gibson bracing. All part of the attempt to replicate the J-45. And, I'm pretty well satisfied that Ed did just that. It sounds like all the best j-45/50s that I've heard. And, much better than many that have had extensive repairs.
I think he nailed it!
Al
1969 Yamaha FG-150
Old 12-10-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
I am interested in the wavey grain top. Did you pick that one specifically? Is it Adi? Sometimes character tops like that have an appeal over the more regular. Some visual grit or something; I like it.
It's torrefied Lutz. Ed picked it but, I couldn't be more pleased.
1969 Yamaha FG-150
Old 12-11-2020, 06:06 PM

Big Halcyon fan here. I have a 00 Nick Lucas that just sounds HUGE. Great build quality and tonewood (Lutz over rosewood on mine). I’ve got the itch to contact Ed about a 000 walnut with Lutz top...we'll see.

Congrats on your J45. I really like the way it looks and can only imagine how good it sounds. Very nice.

Rb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
cj35, halcyon, j-45