The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-27-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Looks like a Line 6 M5
Thanks! (Suff added here because the message was too short to post!)

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 02-28-2020, 12:25 AM
Charter Member

Thanks all for reading it all (I know it was a little long) -

That looks like the third pedal on his board - he uses it just to add a little reverb/delay I think, but we didn’t talk about that as much. I was quite enjoying his Mossman dread and mando non-amplified in the dressing room - didn’t get into the electronics much beyond the Tonedexters -

The room actually has very little to do with training the Tonedexter - James was saying he was doing training on the floor at NAMM, which you’d think would be impossible, but with the right mic, its apparently not a problem. i just got (this evening) a Behringer ECM8000 which I am looking forward to trying out - although I asked James AFTER I ordered, and he said the only problem was that this one is omnidirectional, so maybe the room will have some effect on the training. I also found out I could borrow an SM81 from a friend - so, maybe I was a little too eager. But it is the cheapest mic I’ve ever bought, and kinda unique in some ways, so I’m not regretting it too much - yet -

Definitely a special night for me - but now I’m anxious to try out a great acoustic tone with my band (who are all electric) and see how I can use that, especially with enough volume, to be right up there in the mix! Although, I now need to find a little box to add a bit of effects when I want to - maybe this new Zoom A1?

I may have a NPD post (New Pedalboard Day) shortly - ;-)
Old 02-28-2020, 12:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Thanks all for reading it all (I know it was a little long) -

i just got (this evening) a Behringer ECM8000 which I am looking forward to trying out - although I asked James AFTER I ordered, and he said the only problem was that this one is omnidirectional, so maybe the room will have some effect on the training. I also found out I could borrow an SM81 from a friend - so, maybe I was a little too eager. But it is the cheapest mic I’ve ever bought, and kinda unique in some ways, so I’m not regretting it too much - yet -
... ;-)
Thanks Tad, for your company and picture taking and post.

A couple of points of clarification about using an omni mic: It will be fine with ToneDexter, just different. I've had excellent results with the Dayton Audio EMM-6 which is very similar. I just now did some trainings to compare it to the SM-81. It gives a remarkably similar result with ToneDexter. An omni will give you a sound that is in some ways more like what your ears hear. Depending on the instrument and position, it might even be better than a cardioid, it just depends. Regarding room sound captured in the WaveMap, yes there will be a bit more with an omni. And you may hear it with headphones. Through an amp, not so much. Best not to train in a very small space, but a normal living room should be fine.

I am curious to hear how your ECM8000 experiments come out and if you can, do some side-by-side trainings with the borrowed SM-81 and let us all know what your find.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification