The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-12-2014, 03:38 AM

[QUOTE=Sixfir;4080767]Hi Andrew, did the pain disappear when got rid of this guitar? Is there any kind of neck that makes it more comfortable for you?

Quote:
Coupling that with adding larger frets & raising the action further refined the cure my hand needed.
Quote:
Genuine question .. HOW does the shape of the back of a neck affect your fingers on the fretboard??
When I place my fingers on the strings I have far more range of movement in my thumb joint than any guitar neck ever is going to ask of me. I have normal hands.
Repeating myself .. a 2 inch thick neck (ridiculously thick) would have a thumb about midway in its range of movement.
Do people lock their thumb in one position when they play? ... but even then .. I don't get this thread.
I guess if the v was sharp enough to hurt your thumb, sure.

I own about the whole range of neck shapes and I just can't see how any of them can cause a finger problem. Like I said .. genuinely keen to see what I'm not understanding.
It's pretty obvious that the V neck shape is much more tiring for bare chords, I think most of the people agree on that point, and I guess this has to do with the higher distance between the thumb and fingers, compared with a low profile neck. I also think it's much more easier too play with the thumb round the neck on V neck shapes, because the thumb "rests" on the neck on a different way. I don't lock my thumb while playing, and I don't think there's something wrong with the way I put my thumb, its position of course depends of the kind of chord/motion/scale I play, and I always let its position adapt the most naturally depending on the situation.
I've been playing during 20 years, and it's the first time I experiment this feeling (and my first V neck), and many people seems to have some discomfort/pain with specific neck shapes, so I think it's pretty interesting to try to understand the reason why some kind of necks may generate some discomfort to specific parts of the hand, palm, finger joint, elbow or shoulder for some etc

Furch OM 32 SM
Cordoba Maple Fusion 14
Jackson US Soloist
Esp Horizon NT-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
furch, pain, v neck