The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-24-2021, 06:55 PM

Default 'Modern' guitar tone at a reasonable price

I'm not really actively shopping, but just curious. What are my reasonably priced options for a modern fingerstyle guitar tone? Just from listening online, I associate it most strongly with guitars I can't afford - Goodalls or Lowdens or the PRS signature series all come to mind. Bright and chimy, full and balanced, tons of note separation and sustain.

Any suggestions in the 1-2k range? Taylors have always sounded bright but thin to me, but maybe I just haven't tried the right one. I've never played a PRS Angelus, but will watch for the chance.

If you don't know what I mean by 'modern guitar tone' is, see this thread. https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=499297
Old 01-24-2021, 06:59 PM

Definitely check out Furch! They nail the modern, balanced sound and have offerings at several price points. I’ve heard their Cedar topped guitars are excellent for finger style, but I’m not sure if they would have lots of sustain since cedar tends to decay quicker than spruce. Otherwise, I whole heartedly recommend their spruce offerings as well. They have some really neat innovations in their products and are overall a lot of guitar at more affordable prices than the brands you mentioned.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

You find Lowdens to be bright and chimey? I'm not sure I hear that.

But, for modern tone on a "budget" I think it's hard to beat Webber and Northwood.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 01-24-2021, 07:57 PM

I get what you are after. I know Goodalls and Lowdens, actually own 2 Lowdens. Never played a PRS, sorry. Very responsive would be one quality I'd equate with that sound. My Eastman e2-om cedar top has that. But it's the lush overtones those guitars have, I just haven't found it in any lower priced guitars. If it were me, I'd save some more money and start looking at used guitars. I hate to say that, I'm usually Johnny on the spot with recommendations, but if I had found that sound in a lower priced guitar, I'd have already bought it.

I'm not saying they aren't out there. I've never played a Webber or a Northwood, as suggested above. I'd like to try them one day.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post

... for modern tone on a "budget" I think it's hard to beat Webber and Northwood.
Agree 100% about Webber and Northwood.

Good luck with your search!

Cheers!
Old 01-24-2021, 10:11 PM

Hey Fatfinger, you should really check out the Larrivee C03TE for sale in the classifieds (not my guitar). It’s a special run made by Larrivee modeled after Tommy’s Larrivee.
You mention you like the Goodall tone, and Larrivee rosewood will get pretty close. I have a Larrivee JCL 40th Anniversary Edition that compares quite well with my Goodall Rosewood Standard. My JCL is a special run but even a L03 rosewood will get you a great sounding guitar.
Here’s a little sound clip of my JCL, just recorded through my cell phone. No effects whatsoever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vevdm7eU4S4&t=44s
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Old 01-24-2021, 10:20 PM

I have never found Larivee’s having a modern sound.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:37 PM

Look for a used Breedlove in the Oregon or Premier series. I believe these will fall into your modern sound category.

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 01-25-2021, 01:34 AM

Quite a difference between Lowdens and Goodalls. Have owned and enjoyed several of the latter but never found a Lowden I could bond with. Maybe Lowden players feel the same about Goodalls!

My suggestion is you consider a used Taylor 514ce. I have been lucky to own a few of these, all bought used and from late 90s to mid 00s in year of build. They are cedar over mahogany and great fingerstyle guitars. Well showcased here by Simon Fox

Another guitar that sounds great in videos like this one is the Larrivee that Stephen Wake plays. Don’t know what model it is but it really suits his style of playing.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I have never found Larivee’s having a modern sound.
Ok I'll bite; what is a "modern tone?"
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-25-2021, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Ok I'll bite; what is a "modern tone?"
Taylor and Breedlove. Opposite is vintage. More woody tone. That’s what larrivee sounds closer to for me.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

I guess it depends on which Breedlove or Larrivee you're playing, whether they fall in modern or vintage.

Originally I'd have put them both in the modern camp, but they have such a broad range of offerings now that it's hard to generalize if you don't know what people's experiences with them are.

The early Breedloves with the radical designs were very modern sounding, and many of the newer models carry that torch, but then there are things like the Revival series which are much more vintage voiced. Same with Larrivee, the early ones with the symmetrical bracing (03, 05, 09, etc) sound to me very much in the modern camp, but the 40, 50, 60 series are more Martin inspired.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 01-25-2021, 08:38 AM

I own and play a couple small body Martins and a Ted Thompson T2 that is about the same size. I often think the T2 sounds modern in comparison, but also know that I really have no real understanding of it. LOL
The T2 is a bit louder, very clear and has less color to the sound. If that makes sense.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
I guess it depends on which Breedlove or Larrivee you're playing, whether they fall in modern or vintage.

Originally I'd have put them both in the modern camp, but they have such a broad range of offerings now that it's hard to generalize if you don't know what people's experiences with them are.

The early Breedloves with the radical designs were very modern sounding, and many of the newer models carry that torch, but then there are things like the Revival series which are much more vintage voiced. Same with Larrivee, the early ones with the symmetrical bracing (03, 05, 09, etc) sound to me very much in the modern camp, but the 40, 50, 60 series are more Martin inspired.
Good point.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:39 AM

I appreciate all the thoughts. It's a subjective question without a ton of experience or vocabulary on my side to reference.

I own a rosewood OO Larrivee and I've played a few others. I don't think that's what I mean. Mine has a very nice balanced tone but it's a more restrained voice than I'm thinking about. Again, as with Taylors, could be I've not tried the right one, or tried it long before I could listen as I do now.

Lowdens and Goodalls sound different to me too, and a Goodall played by Mark Hanson is probably closer to my ideal for the chimy metallic trebles. But in both cases, I experience them as more full and balanced than my beloved Martins. As others have noted, they have a piano quality that really plays well to the use of dynamics and overtones. To my ear, the chords feel like each note is distinct, but also beautifully blending with sustain and overtones for days.

I've found a couple of Webber videos online that are in the right ballpark for sure. I'll see if I can get my hands on a few of the other models mentioned. It's a tough job but someone has to do it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion