The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-12-2021, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I think we can see the division right here in this thread about the song, "Ohio." And there certainly was division in the USA back then about our involvement in Vietnam.

Even for people like my parents, who were very much against the US involvement in Vietnam, for them it would have been completely unacceptable for any of their children to be involved in a protest over Vietnam.

There was extreme division then as there is now. A song about a tragedy because of a protest, ensuing riots, and shooting into a crowd from the peacekeepers, only exacerbates the division in my opinion.

We are all going to view these things differently. For myself, I have never identified with protest songs. I'm kind of where Bob Dylan was when he wrote "My Back Pages." There is too much I don't know to be doing any preaching.

- Glenn
Perhaps I could have been more clear, while there is no doubt there has always been division and certainly there was significant division over Vietnam.
And (I could be wrong) but the feeling I got back then from most of the Boomer age people in my world back in 65-75 did not seem to me quite as divided within that group, as it is among that same group today (maybe it was, but I don't remember it that way) .

While I do not condone violence , for me what may make protest songs and protest in general uncomfortable, may well be the reason they are necessary, and the discomfort may well be what is actually needed. A song about that tragedy for me serves as a viable reminder of why we should not forget, and focus still on trying to facilitate it not continue happening.
Because it takes more energy to move an object at rest, than to keep it rest. Which I think is as true or more for the status quo of things, as it is in the physical world.

As far as age giving one the understanding of the concept of "the more you know, the more you realize what you don't know " is hopefully true .... But I don't think the reality of not knowing everything, is a sufficiently good reason to not voice an opinion, or not take a stance on what you see as the right or wrong of something. Progress in Science does not operate that way , and given non are omnipotent, and if one is willing to change ones opinion/perspective with more or new evidence, I see no reason public discourse should either.

I think I have said my peace so I'll just observe now

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 04-12-2021 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

I'm a Kent State Grad ('76) and lived through those terrible times. I was on my way to Kent that evening and was stopped by the roadblocks on Rt 43. Its an event that shaped the worldview of many of those who lived through the event.

Regarding the Neil's song...its another in a long line of protest music. And I'm sure that music and the arts have had an impact on public policy for centuries. For those who say artists should keep their mouths shut...I disagree. They have as much right to speak as any other citizen. And if you don't agree...do the same as Rokdog and close your ears...

I believe that Kent State was a turning point and Kent along with other student protests were a turning point in our support for the war in VietNam. It was the beginning of the end of the war as many Americans lost their stomach for the conflict...

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-16-2021 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Removed topic.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneck View Post

I believe that Kent State was a turning point and Kent along with other student protests were a turning point in our support for the war in VietNam. It was the beginning of the end of the war as many Americans lost their stomach for the conflict...
As a draft age student during that time, I agree completely.

BTW, you can’t discuss this song without the discussion turning. It’s not like it’s a campfire sing-along.

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-16-2021 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Edited.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

And it's a topic we don't discuss here, so let's stop.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic