The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-18-2022, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Default The end of the manual transmission?

Just watched a YT video regarding the decline of the manual transmission. It seems since around 2005 it's been in rapid decline. Maybe it's more work for some or maybe some have never been introduced to it or don't know how to drive a vehicle with it but it's kind of sad to see so few options (what used to be standard?) for a clutch and shifter. I suppose with the rise of electric vehicles there's no need of it but for the rest of the automotive world it's still a viable option. But one that may soon disappear all together?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-18-2022, 08:13 AM

Fewer and fewer drivers know how to use a stick shift. Sports cars like the Miata still feature them but not many others. And like you said Electric cars don't need one so they are likely to follow phone booths into history.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDB View Post
Fewer and fewer drivers know how to use a stick shift. Sports cars like the Miata still feature them but not many others. And like you said Electric cars don't need one so they are likely to follow phone booths into history.
I heard a story of a failed car jacking where the guys trying to hijack the car pulled the owners out at gun point and then realized the vehicle had a manual transmission. They didn't know how to drive it and abandoned the effort leaving the vehicle and driver/passenger. I had to laugh...

Old 01-18-2022, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Just watched a YT video regarding the decline of the manual transmission. It seems since around 2005 it's been in rapid decline. Maybe it's more work for some or maybe some have never been introduced to it or don't know how to drive a vehicle with it but it's kind of sad to see so few options (what used to be standard?) for a clutch and shifter. I suppose with the rise of electric vehicles there's no need of it but for the rest of the automotive world it's still a viable option. But one that may soon disappear all together?
Sad indeed, because I think the driving experience with one is much more enjoyable, unless most of your driving involves commuting in stop and go traffic all the time.
2005 happens to be the build year of my car (with 6 speed MT). As I recall back then, demand for them was still good, at least for that model.
The only positive I see out of this trend is that it makes the car less likely to be stolen, or God forbid, carjacked, which also seems to be a growing trend unfortunately, at least in larger cities.

Quote:
I heard a story of a failed car jacking.....

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann

Last edited by Gitfiddlemann; 01-18-2022 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Just read your post:)
Old 01-18-2022, 08:44 AM
Musical minimalist

I've owned 17 Hondas - the first 15 were all manual. I LOVED that driving experience.

Unfortunately, they became harder to find, and MUCH harder to sell (which I obviously do quite often)

My left foot still looks for the clutch once in a while.

Old 01-18-2022, 08:59 AM

I had a miata for a while with a 6 speed manual transmission. I loved it except in traffic. Unfortunately, where I live, traffic is a daily part of life. Mines an automatic now.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

I live in a tourist/retirement town and traffic is always bad. Used to be only during the summer season and part of the shoulder seasons. But it's year round now. My 10 year old VW has a six speed and I find I actually have to "drive" it and not worry about my phone like most folks seem to do. Not knocking automatic transmissions...my F-150 has one and it's what I want in my truck. But it gives me time to do other things that I'd be better off not doing while driving?

Old 01-18-2022, 09:28 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I "row" a six speed and love it until I get into city traffic.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-18-2022, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Yes unfortunately my 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 will be the last manual trans truck I am going to own. Virtually all of the new pickup trucks are only available in Auto trans.

The only issue with that (unless the new auto trans have somehow eliminated full throttle "surge" ) is when specifically hauling horses,,,, and trying to do something like merge on to a freeway,,, where at full throttle acceleration the "shift surge" would toss the horses back and forth. Which you could actually feather and make smoother with a clutch/stick
Here we are on the 425 mile trek from home to Ft Collins Co.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 01-18-2022 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

I loved my last manual... 5 speeds and 4WD.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:47 AM

Our 2021 Jeep Wrangler has a manual transmission. We ordered it that way.

I learned to drive with a manual Toyota Corolla. My first car that I owned was a manual Toyota Celica. We've owned several since getting married 32 years ago.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 01-18-2022, 09:54 AM

2006 Honda Accord Ex here with five speed and VTEC engine. Honda used to keep a few manuals on the lot in order to improve their fleet mileage standards and back in 2005, I purchased this wolf in sheeps clothing. It excels on the rolling hills and curvy roads of Western Connecticut and the Hudson Valley. Acceleration is impressive- the power band is aimed at high rpms, so 45 mph in second is very doable. What a joy to drive.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

I am still manual including my 1995 VW Eurovan camper and my 2012 Wrangler.

When i bought the jeep it seemed laughable to consider an automatic that cost more money, more likely to need repairs and is not something that improves my driving experience.

That said I've rented a few automatic jeeps and the driving experience is now pretty good.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Yes unfortunately my 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 will be the last manual trans truck I am going to own. Virtually all of the new pickup trucks are only available in Auto trans.

The only issue with that (unless the new auto trans have somehow eliminated full throttle "surge" ) is when specifically hauling horses,,,, and trying to do something like merge on to a freeway,,, where at full throttle acceleration the "shift surge" would toss the horses back and forth. Which you could actually feather and make smoother with a clutch/stick
Here we are on the 425 mile trek from home to Ft Collins Co.
I think the newer truck transmission are more smooth. I know my F-150 (light duty truck) has a 10 speed automatic and shifts pretty seamlessly even under rapid acceleration. I tow a 30' RV trailer that weights just under 3 tons dry and it pulls it without an issue during acceleration. You do lose the overdrive gearing in tow mode however and that helps with the "shift surge". Gotta keep the horses happy!

Last edited by llew; 01-18-2022 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I had a miata for a while with a 6 speed manual transmission.
One can't get anything but a manual transmission on a '22 MX5 unless opting for the upper grade Grand Touring edition...
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic