The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 04-08-2014, 12:03 PM

Default Kevin Kopp Trail Boss 2006- $3500

I've reluctantly decided to offer my Trail Boss for sale for $3500 (you pay shipping). It has mahogany back and sides and spruce top (with Kevin's unique, dark ember burst finish). It was completed by Kevin in 12/2006.

I purchased it from a student who got it from Greg Boyd's shop in 11/2009. The story of this guitar (that I learned from Greg and Kevin) is that Kevin was using this guitar as a demo model and put it in the hands of various players (Leo Kottke, David Lindley, Bonnie Raitt and band, Richard Thompson, Darrell Scott - according to Kevin) who came through Montana. In late 2009, Kevin decided to offer it for sale as a used/demo guitar through Greg's shop.

As for condition, I've babied the guitar myself. Greg told me that Kevin had to repair a split center seam on the top of the guitar before putting it for sale and there are a couple of small scratches/worn spots that are visible in the photos. All-in-all, though, it's in excellent condition and sounds fantastic.

It has a very spacious, yet full sound. The bass is big yet it is very balanced across the full spectrum of frequencies. Also, I've found it a very nice guitar with regard to playability - very nice feeling neck and fretboard, lightweight and well balanced. Overall, a very versatile instrument - holds up well to heavy strumming and flat-picking, but very good for fingerstyle as well. It has standard specs for a Trail Boss (12 frets to the body, cutaway, 25.5 inch scale, ebony fretboard; nut width1-3/4).

The case is the original TKL case. It suffered a little dent (visible in photos) while it was serving as Kevin's demo. The dent is superficial - doesn't penetrate to the inside of the case.

I had Fishman put a Pickup in it and I have the files for Fishman's Acoustic Imaging downloaded for their Aura System (highly recommended- this pickup system sounds amazing). Comes with OHSC.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:35 PM

Do you have pictures?
Old 04-09-2014, 02:35 AM
Charter Member

saw Darrell scott two years ago with his Kopp Trailboss and it sounded great!

very nice looking/sounding guitars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNsx_AJJpus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCRqCRbTSbA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtVyGsDuZqA

lots of other video out there with a TrailBoss working

NFI
good luck with the sale-Kopps are very cool
d
Old 04-09-2014, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

I have two Kopp guitars...the Trailboss must be an incredible instrument! Best of luck with your sale...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 04-10-2014, 07:05 AM

I actually played with Darrell down in Asheville NC at The Grey Eagle . His Kopp sounded exactly like mine and felt identical. Just goes to show how consistent Kevin is. It is a remarkable instrument.
As for pics, can someone tell me how to post them on AGF. I am new to this and cannot figure it out.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:31 AM

Default Photos of this Trail Boss

Here is a link to several photos I took in April 2012.

FYI, I am the student from whom Peyton acquired the Trail Boss in Spring 2012. He lets me play it still, occasionally. Though, after doing so, I have to be extremely careful to remove all traces of my having played it from my hands/clothes/etc- if my Big Hollow 00 were to find out, she'd get insanely jealous.

And, I can also testify to the greatness of this Trail Boss.

Last edited by vertigho; 04-10-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:36 PM

Default Kevin Kopp Trail Boss Wanted

Anyone have a Kevin Kopp Trail Boss for sale or want to trade for something different and smaller bodied?
Old 03-31-2015, 11:38 PM

Is this still for sale?
Old 04-01-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevulak View Post
Is this still for sale?
I don't think so. My understanding is that this Trail Boss was sold a few weeks ago.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Tags
kopp, trail boss