The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-02-2022, 12:32 PM

Default Fender Jazzmaster Acoustasonic

I got one of these fairly recently from a trade-in with Dave's Guitar Shop. I had a Taylor T5 12-string that I wasn't using, and I thought I'd take something of a chance on one of the Acoustasonic series based on the Youtube videos I'd seen.

For anyone unfamiliar with these, they're hybrid guitars that look a bit like the Fender original electric guitars except that they're hollow-chambered (think Godin Multiac) acoustic-electric guitars with 8 different acoustic voicings. There are also 2 electric humbucker options, too, using the 5-way selector switch.

Sounds a bit like a Frankenstein monster and a long way from a Martin D-28! However, these are beautifully constructed wooden instruments, and this one sounds great through my SoloAmp with nothing more than reverb. It's a dream to play, too - fast, low action on the slim neck and ebony board. It adapts well to a capo and detuning with its (factory-installed) 11-52 bronze strings.

Anyone else got one? I'm not looking for approval, particularly - if you hate 'em, I'm cool with your saying so, but maybe someone else here has one and found a liking for it. Also, for someone like me, who plays fingerstyle ragtime, jazz standards, Celtic, etc. and is not strictly old school or averse to plugging in, this is a very nice guitar indeed.
Old 01-02-2022, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

I have one. I chose it over the tele and Strat versions for the pickup. To be honest, I bought it to play as part of a meditation group (A friend of mine owns a wellness center with a large "yoga room". I was the background music while everyone else was clearing their minds). I works great for open mics, as long as there is an amp or a sound system. You can also use it to record directly into an audio interface.

I'm hoping to use it more this Spring, as things settle down in New England and we can resuscitate our jam and open mic.
Old 01-02-2022, 04:54 PM

I have the Tele version and it’s a great live tool for someone like me. I am primarily an acoustic player but we have to cover some songs where an overdriven rhythm and other electric guitar tones are needed. Currently, I also have a 1995 Taylor 510, Taylor 12 string a Martin OME Cherry.
Old 01-02-2022, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAgain View Post
I have the Tele version and it’s a great live tool for someone like me. I am primarily an acoustic player but we have to cover some songs where an overdriven rhythm and other electric guitar tones are needed. Currently, I also have a 1995 Taylor 510, Taylor 12 string a Martin OME Cherry.
I think one of the nicely surprising things for me about this guitar is that it functions very much as an amplified acoustic, despite its appearance as a Tele, Strat or Jazzmaster. Like you, I am also an acoustic player - I don't do the lead guitar-distortion-string bending thang at all - and all these various acoustic voicings are a real treat.

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-02-2022 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-02-2022, 08:43 AM

I know this thread is a tad old, but, I have had my acoustasonic
jazzmaster over a year, and actually played out with
it when the plague was in a lull.

Love many of the acoustic settings..the playability is great...however, I still cannot bond with
the electric non overdrive. I tried various eq..direct to mixer, direct to guitar amp..
and it still sounds wonky, with high to hid mid exaggerated. The overdrive
itself sounds like a cheap fuzz knock off.

I guess I can still tinker with various more eq and OD settings but
too bad they didnt offer different pickups for the electric guitar portion.

Too bad you cant swap in pickups or electronic mods.

Maybe this is just me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars