The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-19-2021, 08:32 PM

Default Meds for anxiety and depression.

Hi all.
My struggles continue, and I was wondering, if you also have what I do, which psych meds do you take?
My psychiatrist provider has not switched things up after I’ve told him they are not working. It’s been months since these meds were prescribed to me.
Lexapro
Buspar
Instead, he wants to add another one, Abilify.

I’ve also been taking Valium as-needed for years.
This one helps only the anxiety, but I’ve developed a tolerance to it
(takes more to get the same effect).

-AE
Old 12-19-2021, 09:04 PM

I don’t have these issues but I am very close to someone who battled severe depression for 12 years due to bipolar disorder. I don’t know what medications you should be taking but I would like to mention a few things I have learned from being on the outside looking in.

1: Please know and try to always remember that things will get better.

2: All psychiatrists are not the same/equal and some should not be practicing due to being calloused to the situations they are dealing with. My friend has been through several with only two or three being useful. Don’t be scared to switch doctors if you feel this one isn’t earning his/her pay. There are some good ones out there, you just may have to search a bit.

3: Don’t ever let the thought that this is just the way it is and I have to live with it creep into your head. Medication will help, you just need a doctor who will do the work to find the right one.

4: Don’t be scared to be blunt with your doctor and tell him/her look “I’m not taking this anymore because it isn’t helping. Lets start new with something new”.

I hope this helps
Old 12-20-2021, 04:41 AM

There are alternatives to chemical interventions. Have you considered something like CBT (Cognitive behavioural therapy)?

It is not suitable for all cases of depression and anxiety but many people find it effective.
Old 12-20-2021, 05:39 AM

Just my $.02 not that this has anything to do with the OP but most of my anxiety attacks went away after stopping smoking the green stuff.

Of course I also made some lifestyle changes.
Old 12-20-2021, 06:29 AM
Charter Member

@AmericanEagle:

First, remember we all have stuff going on. You are not alone!! I have been on Celexa, which is the analog ro Lexapro for 20 years. It works to take the edge off.

Frankly, I would look for a second opinion. Adding on does not always help.

It will get better!!!
Old 12-20-2021, 07:14 AM

This is territory for professionals but I'll bring up your physical well being having worked in programs with people under psychiatric care who started community volunteering and outdoor rec activities. Those were and are not replacements for the care, but were and are well proven to help the people.

The people I've worked with in the volunteering and outdoor rec varied a lot of ways but all had great results. They've been adults, kids, PSTD vets, and had physical issues too.

It's not a replacement for professional care but as an outreach and volunteer coordinator it wa often and repeated where one or both of the actives and volunteering were pretty much new magic medicines, and in some cases getting people the quality social interactions that helped a lot.

Bringing up Valium in this stood out. I know it for my deteriorating back but for some I worked with it hindered activities and the activities replaced or cut their taking it. By activities here it's people who started volunteering an/or doing the outdoor rec activities.

The volunteering can be a challenge in a tough mental state but my observation works two ways. It puts people in a circle of good folks, and gives a great sense of belonging and accomplishment. It's not fast or instant medicine but I've seen it be a life changer.

Again, work with pros but as a volunteer outreach manager and activities instructor I witnessed tremendous results.

Good luck.
Old 12-20-2021, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
Hi all.

My psychiatrist provider has not switched things up after I’ve told him they are not working.

-AE

I'm not trying to be flippant, AT ALL, but you need a different psychiatrist. One who actually listens to you.
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 12-20-2021, 07:50 AM

As a retired pharmacist I will pass along something that a psychiatrist whom I respected told me concerning the treatment of mental disorders: "Treat the body first." His approach was developed in large part because of his certified expertise as a neurologist and endocrinologist in addition to psychiatry.

The treatment plan for each of his patients started with a full physical evaluation with labs. He made mention of the fact that about 50% of patients he saw for mental disorders suffered from untreated physical ailments such as diabetes, thyroid disease, etc. and often those conditions exacerbated the mental condition of the person. His experience was that unless the physical problem was successfully addressed the treatment of the mental disorder was unlikely to be successful.

Before going down the road of adding medications to an already complex psychoactive polypharmacy situation I'd be inclined to have a complete diagnostic physical to rule out any underlying somatic problems first, and a professional evaluation of lifestyle habits/routine to determine if there may be some correctable physical elements contributing negatively to your mental health.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 12-20-2021, 07:53 AM

OP, I'm sorry you are going through this. You might want to consider online (or in person) meditation classes. I realize this is not what you were asking about, but many are free and it really does help. If you go to the meetup.com website and do a search for them, I'm sure a bunch would come up.

And like others have mentioned, things do get better. I promise.
Old 12-20-2021, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Eagle, I know from your posts here that you’ve had a rough go of things. I’m sorry to hear it, and I applaud you for reaching out. I don’t know anything about the drugs, but my first reaction was also, “get a new psychiatrist “. But maybe that’s not so simple. You have a history with this person I assume, and if you live in a small town, it may not be that easy to find another provider. Anyway, it sounds like a tough situation. I wish you the best and I look forward to reading here at some point that you’re doing better. I hope you get the meds straightened out, and I like some of the suggestions about physical activity, but you may be doing that already. I wish I could offer more. Hang in there!
Old 12-20-2021, 09:04 AM
Musical minimalist

This was something that was recommended to my Mother by the nursing home she was in. They wanted to get her stabilized almost as much as I did.

Unfortunately she didn't live long enough to tell if the changes were helpful.

https://genesight.com/

Old 12-20-2021, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
As a retired pharmacist I will pass along something that a psychiatrist whom I respected told me concerning the treatment of mental disorders: "Treat the body first." His approach was developed in large part because of his certified expertise as a neurologist and endocrinologist in addition to psychiatry.

The treatment plan for each of his patients started with a full physical evaluation with labs. He made mention of the fact that about 50% of patients he saw for mental disorders suffered from untreated physical ailments such as diabetes, thyroid disease, etc. and often those conditions exacerbated the mental condition of the person. His experience was that unless the physical problem was successfully addressed the treatment of the mental disorder was unlikely to be successful.

Before going down the road of adding medications to an already complex psychoactive polypharmacy situation I'd be inclined to have a complete diagnostic physical to rule out any underlying somatic problems first, and a professional evaluation of lifestyle habits/routine to determine if there may be some correctable physical elements contributing negatively to your mental health.
Bingo 100% correct... I’m not dealing with these issues and I pray AE that you get resolution to them. I can tell you though to Cat D’s point that thyroid issues can cause havoc in this area as hormones are involved and play a huge role in your chemistry as it may pertain to your issues. I have a bit of a medical background and have studied this because I had to have my thyroid removed and thus have gone through bouts of medication issues and during those periods I could tell I was experiencing some mood, thought and emotional issues. I can say that correcting my thyroid meds makes a difference. My faith has been a blessing too.
So I agree that a physical with some specific bloodwork and chemistry check would be a great starting point. I would include TSH, T4, T3, PTH, and testosterone among others. As far as additional therapeutics, I know that L-Theanine has helped me during my thyroid med issues. It’s very safe, healthy and effective in helping a racing mind to stop going down a rabbit hole and was recommended by a physician. It does not zone you out nor make you sleepy. I use the brand Sports Research which was also recommended by the same physician.

Best wishes AE

Last edited by noledog; 12-20-2021 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-20-2021, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post

I'm certainly no Dr., but on a common sense level, this make so much sense to me.
Old 12-20-2021, 10:26 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles and I can relate. I grew up in, and I hate to say it out of respect to those who have, and are currently serving our country, a war zone. I've been on meds for anxiety, and depression for years. Some you listed and more.

With the combination of the meds and therapy, I had a pretty good handle on things for a while. Then I had a bad accident at work a few years ago that was a life changer. The issues I had along with the substantial injuries, the surgeries and the constant pain have made things a struggle, mentally and physically. Not being able to do a lot of the things I enjoyed doing all my life is another kick in the teeth. Thank God I can still play guitar.

I only mention these things to let you know that I've been there and that you're not alone in this. There are a lot of Dr's out there and many different meds they can try. Finding the right combination can take time, but help is out there. Hang in there brother, and if you ever want to talk, feel free to message me.
Old 12-20-2021, 10:35 AM

My particular condition is OCD and anxiety. I have been taking Luvox for close to 30 years. I once asked my psychiatrist how they know which antidepressant to prescribe. He said that it's kind of a guess and would try other medications until we found what worked. Fortunately, the first pick, Luvox, works for me.

@AmericanEagle:

I agree with some of the other opinions that you may need a different psychiatrist.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic