The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-31-2021, 12:20 AM

Default I Know You Rider - Grateful Dead cover

This was my old vocal Trio practicing I Know You Rider. We also used to do Trucking and Jack Straw also by the Dead, focussing on three part vocal harmonies.
'
That's L-R Ray, Mike (me) and Geoff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQSXBmu2glA
Old 05-31-2021, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Nice harmonies! Well done.

That's not easy to do.

I'd love to hear your trio do "Jack Straw," by the way, if you are taking requests.
Old 06-01-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphert1 View Post
This was my old vocal Trio practicing I Know You Rider. We also used to do Trucking and Jack Straw also by the Dead, focussing on three part vocal harmonies.
'

Great job Ray, Geoff and Mike! All the way from Australia! Our version is on this page too. If only I could get my son to join me in the singing part!

bowerman custom OM 28 style
breedlove oregon OM SMYe
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival
breedlove mc revival OM/AR deluxe (2)
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit
yamaha fg 150 spruce (red) (sold)
yamaha fg 75 spruce (red) (sold)
Old 06-01-2021, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
'

Sweet harmonies! Let Ray know I'll trade him my name for his voice...

-Ray
Old 06-01-2021, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Hey Now! Nice harmonies fellas!

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 06-06-2021, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

To keep the thread semi-active, here's another Garcia-Grisman tune, "Rosa Lee McFall". Like all my stuff, it's quick and dirty - I'm trying to maintain my amateur status so I can still qualify for the Olympics...

I also recorded a version of "Stealin'", a greasy little tune I really love, but the instrumental sections of that song are supposed to be really gutbucket funky and I can't seem to play 'em any way other than kind of sweet and plaintive. I kind of like them, but they just REALLY don't fit my conception of what that tune is supposed to feel like, per Garcia-Grisman's version. Not sure why, but that's a hump I can't seem to get over. So here's this one for now...

-Ray
Old 06-07-2021, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
'

Fantastic! Really enjoyed that one
Old 06-07-2021, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
To keep the thread semi-active, here's another Garcia-Grisman tune, "Rosa Lee McFall". Like all my stuff, it's quick and dirty - I'm trying to maintain my amateur status so I can still qualify for the Olympics...

I also recorded a version of "Stealin'", a greasy little tune I really love, but the instrumental sections of that song are supposed to be really gutbucket funky and I can't seem to play 'em any way other than kind of sweet and plaintive. I kind of like them, but they just REALLY don't fit my conception of what that tune is supposed to feel like, per Garcia-Grisman's version. Not sure why, but that's a hump I can't seem to get over. So here's this one for now...

-Ray
I remember this one, Ray, it was on the Reckoning album. I had no appreciation for acoustic music in those days and that album was a real eye opener for me. Nice job, it has that folky vibe going on.

Never heard of the other one, but I'll look it up.

Glad to see the thread still has legs
Old 06-08-2021, 02:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
I remember this one, Ray, it was on the Reckoning album. I had no appreciation for acoustic music in those days and that album was a real eye opener for me. Nice job, it has that folky vibe going on.

Never heard of the other one, but I'll look it up.

Glad to see the thread still has legs
I’d forgotten that was on Reckoning, Bob - I’ve been listening to the Pizza Tapes some recently, and there’s a great version on that. Stealin’ is the second cut on the Shady Grove album. If people don’t know it, mine might sound OK, but if you’ve heard the extremely funky way they played it together, mine just sounds wrong, an overwhelmingly tame version of a song that is supposed to be really gritty and funky.

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 06-08-2021 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:

-Ray
Thanks for reminding me of this one. Great job.

bowerman custom OM 28 style
breedlove oregon OM SMYe
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival
breedlove mc revival OM/AR deluxe (2)
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit
yamaha fg 150 spruce (red) (sold)
yamaha fg 75 spruce (red) (sold)
Old 06-11-2021, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

OK, here's that other Garcia-Grisman tune I was mentioning. I still don't love the lead, but at least it's sort of pointing in the right direction, whereas the first times I tried it, I actually liked it better on it's own, but it was going in totally the wrong direction for this tune. I love the song though, just a funky little ode to cheating. Which I don't do, so I can sing about it. Seems like it must have been an old jug-band tune or something...

Edit - just looked it up, it IS an old jug-band song dating back to the early 1920s. I don't know that Jerry played it in his early jug-bands but I'd bet a dollar he did...

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 06-24-2021 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Default Finally my version of Morning Dew

Like Lemony Snicket said due to "A Series of Unfortunate Events "
Posting my version of Morning Dew got delayed

So Here it is ::: I did this , more or less live performance style,, using the camera on my iMac . So one pass, one take, no monitoring, just listening to how it sounds in the room while recording . Guitar and Vocal simultaneous and definitely some cross bleed to deal with in mixing , but still it came out usable.

Too bad the pace maker I had installed recently, did not really improve my timing all that much, I may have to send it back

If possible Set to 1080 for best quality sound and video

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 06-14-2021 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Like Lemony Snicket said due to "A Series of Unfortunate Events "
Posting my version of Morning Dew got delayed

So Here it is ::: I did this , more or less live performance style,, using the camera on my iMac . So one pass, one take, no monitoring, just listening to how it sounds in the room while recording . Guitar and Vocal simultaneous and definitely some cross bleed to deal with in mixing , but still it came out usable.

Too bad the pace maker I had installed recently, did not really improve my timing all that much, I may have to send it back

If possible Set to 1080 for best quality sound and video
It was worth the wait, Kev! Very nice rendition, really enjoyed it
Old 06-14-2021, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
OK, here's that other Garcia-Grisman tune I was mentioning. I still don't love the lead, but at least it's sort of pointing in the right direction, whereas the first times I tried it, I actually liked it better on it's own, but it was going in totally the wrong direction for this tune. I love the song though, just a funky little ode to cheating. Which I don't do, so I can sing about it. Seems like it must have been an old jug-band tune or something...

Edit - just looked it up, it IS an old jug-band song dating back to the early 1920s. I don't know that Jerry played it in his early jug-bands but I'd bet a dollar he did...

Gaaak, I went back and listened to this and found the lead parts physically unlistenable. They might have been going in the right direction, but they did not get CLOSE to where they needed to go. So I replaced it with my first version, where I kind of like the lead parts, but they don't really fit the funky, low down vibe of the tune at all. They're kind of more sad and plaintive, kind of like the protagonist regrets his cheatin' ways, which doesn't come through in the lyrics at all. None the less, I can listen to this version and I couldn't to the other one after a couple of days. So, there you go. I'm a flake!

-Ray
I missed the first version, Ray, but this one is real fine
Old 06-14-2021, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
It was worth the wait, Kev! Very nice rendition, really enjoyed it
Thanks, It was fun , quick, and I got to play around with some of the effects in Final Cut Pro

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 06-15-2021 at 06:16 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell