The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-15-2021, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

Default 2 Bus Compression

Here is an article from the Production/ Pro Tools Expert blog that I thought was kind of interesting which reminded me I have been intending to explore the M/S option on my hardware comp that sits on my 2 bus/mix bus

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...eid=3af5b4ba3b

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 06-15-2021, 12:12 PM
Eric Skye

Nice piece. Thanks for sharing. I love this topic. I'm working on an instrumental flatpicking acoustic guitar record right now. My "2 Bus Compression" has me mixing into Farbfilter's Pro C2 on the "Stereo Out" of Logic. I'm touching maybe 2, to occasional 3 db, at 2.5:1. I use the "Opto Style" with a soft knee and maybe a 30ms attack time. And then doing the parallel thing by blending back in a little of the dry signal...Anyway, for this kind of thing it's a huge help -along with volume automation- for keeping things glued and sounding like a record to me.
Old 06-15-2021, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
Nice piece. Thanks for sharing. I love this topic. I'm working on an instrumental flatpicking acoustic guitar record right now. My "2 Bus Compression" has me mixing into Farbfilter's Pro C2 on the "Stereo Out" of Logic. I'm touching maybe 2, to occasional 3 db, at 2.5:1. I use the "Opto Style" with a soft knee and maybe a 30ms attack time. And then doing the parallel thing by blending back in a little of the dry signal...Anyway, for this kind of thing it's a huge help -along with volume automation- for keeping things glued and sounding like a record to me.
I have a my hardware comp ( a modern vari-mu) set up as an insert so it can pull double duty as both a tracking and mix bus compressor

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 06-15-2021, 09:42 PM

Thanks for sharing this (I'm the author, BTW).

We're discussing a possible follow-up dealing with just hardware compressors. I have a ton of outboard at the studio that, frankly, doesn't get much use anymore outside of tracking. We thought it would be fun to run things through a bunch of different hardware comps to highlight the differences (FET vs VCA vs Opto vs Diode Bridge).

Let me know what you'd like to see covered...I'll see what I can do.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 06-15-2021, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post

We're discussing a possible follow-up dealing with just hardware compressors. I have a ton of outboard at the studio that, frankly, doesn't get much use anymore outside of tracking. We thought it would be fun to run things through a bunch of different hardware comps to highlight the differences (FET vs VCA vs Opto vs Diode Bridge).

That is a great article, Steve! I was intending to go back and read it again, just to make sure I got everything!

That is so cool that the author of this article should weigh on here on a discussion of his own article!

- Glenn
Old 06-16-2021, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Very cool,,, and well done Steve.

Since I do have ( one) Hardware comp, I would be interested in such an article. As an anecdote I lucked into an pretty good deal on the Comp in that the independent pro audio guy I have made most of my major gear purchases through, actually included my 3U Tubecore as part of his initial "dealer order" so I got even more of a discount than the usual one he gives me on gear.

I have no other first hand experience to compare it to, other than a few times in commercial studios ,, but I must say I do really like what it brings to my mix sound (or perhaps I am just biased )

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 06-17-2021, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

So this my Comp it has a few modern features
like M/S as an output selection which I will be trying and the Bypass for quick checking
From L to R the controls are H Pass filter --input Gain (being Variable MU) the ratio changes with the input --- Attack and Release ---OutPut --- Mix

(Photo is IGS stock Image) Mine on the 2 Bus is usually set to HPF@120 :::::: Gain @ 6 to 8 on gain--- 10 to 30 on Attack --- 1.2 on Release ---- Threshold @ -2 -------Output @ -8 ------Mix @ 14

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 06-17-2021, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Cool looking compressor, Kev!

- Glenn
Old 06-17-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

- Glenn
No kidding. That thing looks like someone made a really cool steampunk-meets-army-surplus GUI for a plugin, and then someone else make a 3D hardware version of it. I bet it sounds good, too.

Couch Standards
Old 06-17-2021, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

- Glenn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
No kidding. That thing looks like someone made a really cool steampunk-meets-army-surplus GUI for a plugin, and then someone else make a 3D hardware version of it. I bet it sounds good, too.
Thanks, yes I think it sounds great but I am bias . I guess it has a modern /retro look

Here are some specs
Every single TUBECORE 3U is hand made with high quality, matched components (1% metal film resistors, Wima caps). It is equipped with 6N1P-EW (6N3P-EW) NOS tubes and individually calibrated to give you the unique and unspoiled experience of one of the best vari-mu compressors in history. It is equipped with Carnhill and Sowter audio transformers.

And the back where the user can change tubes easily ( I have not, I just use the supplied tubes.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 06-18-2021, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
So this my Comp it has a few modern features
like M/S as an output selection which I will be trying and the Bypass for quick checking
From L to R the controls are H Pass filter --input Gain (being Variable MU) the ratio changes with the input --- Attack and Release ---OutPut --- Mix

(Photo is IGS stock Image) Mine on the 2 Bus is usually set to HPF@120 :::::: Gain @ 6 to 8 on gain--- 10 to 30 on Attack --- 1.2 on Release ---- Threshold @ -2 -------Output @ -8 ------Mix @ 14

I'm not familiar with that unit. It has a "Shadow Hills" look to it. There are so many really nice pieces of hardware being made now, it's great.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
2019 Fender Tele
Old 06-19-2021, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm not familiar with that unit. It has a "Shadow Hills" look to it. There are so many really nice pieces of hardware being made now, it's great.
Yes Shadow Hills - ish look, but thankfully no where near $9k.

I can't remember where I first heard about IGS. Probably either on GS or maybe from Tape Op magazine.
At the time I was looking into a Hardware Comp and things like the Manley Vri-Mu was a consideration . I happen to call my independent Pro Audio guy that I use most of time. Who had coincidentally had become interested in them as well, and was putting together an initial minimum dealer order and would give me a special discount if I wanted one .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 06-19-2021 at 06:55 AM.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Yes Shadow Hills - ish look, but thankfully no where near $9k.

I can't remember where I first heard about IGS. Probably either on GS or maybe from Tape Op magazine.
At the time I was looking into a Hardware Comp and things like the Manley Vri-Mu was a consideration . I happen to call my independent Pro Audio guy that I use most of time. Who had coincidentally had become interested in them as well, and was putting together an initial minimum dealer order and would give me a special discount if I wanted one .

Nice - always good when you can get in on an opening order deal.

It looks very solid. VariMu can be really nice on guitars/guitar busses.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
2019 Fender Tele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD