The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-11-2021, 11:07 AM

This is a great question!

I suppose over the years I have developed a decent ear for transcribing, but I usually either "know" the song already or if I transcribe it's for a student, and I do it in real time.

With the video you posted I'd listen to the entire song. Making a few mental notes:

1. What does the tuning sound like? I tend to stay in E standard, so if it's an altered tuning, my ear can hear it pretty quickly.

2. Does the song appear to use a capo?

3. Are there any particular fingerstyle patterns I'm already familiar with or do I have to drill deep into a particular technique or nuance.

4. Are there any "ah ha's" like did I hear a chord that I immediately recognized? If so that can immediately isolate possible key's I'm working with. For example did I hear a D? I might start thinking of the other chords that may compliment it.

5. Any strange chords? If a song is diatonic, this is quickly answered. If a song veers off, with a strange chord, it might be a secondary dominant, an altered chord, or a borrowed chord. This instantly suggests the depth I might be working with.

After the song I've resolved most of these and that sets the stage for my transcription approach.

If its diatonic, I map out the tune pretty quickly, by parts, ie, verse, chorus bridge.

If not, I map out the bass line, and decide if the chords are passing, inversions or in root position. Using my knowledge of theory, I mentally construct where the song is going and it's cadences, etc.

At this point, I think 90% of the rough work is done. The rest might be a certain lick or nuance or rhythm that I work out. I might use something like Anytune. I love that program, and it has been a mainstay for years for teaching, slowing a passage down for the student to practice, etc.

Interested to see others responses as I always like learning new perspectives.

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-11-2021 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Edited.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Blimey! Well you certainly have that one down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post
Can I just say that this is fantastic? Why yes, I think I can! Wow—love it!
Thanks to you both! I tried another version and, along with the rhythm (and a Kottke-type intro), added some keys -- something you don't usually hear with this piece!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 06-12-2021, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
Thanks to you both! I tried another version and, along with the rhythm (and a Kottke-type intro), added some keys -- something you don't usually hear with this piece!

Nice! The intro sounded like the Doobie Brothers to me, and the phase shifter was a very good kitsch 1970’s touch. I enjoyed this!

Old 06-22-2021, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Two weeks in and "Boots of Spanish Leather" is proving a difficult nut to crack. Learning the words is coming slowly as there are nine verses with no phrase repeats. And I really need the words by heart now so that I can work on the vocal arrangement. I'm sort of happy that the guitar will take care of itself over time, and I'll just gradually make changes to the arrangement as I hear more nuance in what I'm playing.

I'm still hopeful that I'll have this "campfire ready" by the 31st July. I think it will work out for me and hopefully it won't be another tune that I put lots of time into but end up not playing.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write