The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-27-2015, 03:50 PM

Default Recording sound separate and filming multi-cam angles....

Ok AGF's I would greatly appreciate some assistance with my recording setup/workflow.

What I want to do:
Record my guitar separately in Garageband and then use my DSLR to video my playing from 2-3 different angles (listening to the recording in my headphones for each separate angle so I can sync easily to the audio) and then implement these all into a multi-cam angle video.

Gear:
Taylor 414ce
Fishman Loudbox mini
Apogee One
Macbook Pro
Canon 70D

Software
iMovie
Final Cut Pro X

Problem I am having so far
I can make single angle videos fine in iMovie but it seems that this software does not support the making of a multi-cam angle video.

I got Final Cut Pro X on the basis it would support this but I cannot for the life of me work it out!

I can create a multi-cam angle video but the option is to sync this to the "audio" which in my case is recorded separately to all the videos - I therefore have no idea of the workflow in this circumstance?

Has anyone had a similar problem and offer any advice to where I am going wrong (with a possible workflow of how others achieve this)?

Appreciate any help with this!

Thanks,
Shaun
Old 09-27-2015, 04:00 PM

Hi Shaun, are you wanting to do the kind of stuff I posted before of Joseph? can run through what do if you like, might be easier than what you're trying to do.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynz View Post
Hi Shaun, are you wanting to do the kind of stuff I posted before of Joseph? can run through what do if you like, might be easier than what you're trying to do.
Hi Greynz,

I just saw your post on my older thread - apologies for missing this!

A workflow would be great as if I can do this in iMovie rather than Final Cut Pro it would be much simpler.....

I have no problem recording the audio and separate camera angles but I am struggling with how I then sync the audio with the separate camera angles and get the audio to run seamlessly through it?

Also saw the video of Joseph x 3. That is a great video technique!

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Shaun
Old 09-27-2015, 04:40 PM

Thanks Shaun, no worries

Yeah the 'I wish' vid is just with iMovie & Gb. I'll run through how we do it from start but you prob already have the idea.

So first he'll record audio to garageband, usually just apogee mic in front of his his amp.
Then we'll record the video with one shot start to finish (usually just playing back the original audio in background & he plays along). Make sure you also get the audio on the camera as it will help to line up the other one later.
We'll then do a few shots from other angles, we don't bother recording the whole thing again, normally just certain bits he wants from a different angle.

In Imovie we get the first video in the project, start to finish, then add the garageband audio. Not sure what version you have but on mine you'll see a few buttons for adding transitions, audio, text etc. Click on audio & should bring up folders, think it might go straight to the garageband music folder so make sure you're original audio is in the right one. Find the one you want then just drag on top of video in the project. make sure you drag on top, not to the side (will go green I think) so yeah you don't want it going green.. when you let go it should show up as a separated audio track under the vid. just make sure you have the original video long enough so you have room to play otherwise will cut some off. (just kinda going from memory).
Then on the original video I'll turn up the audio (from camera) then you should be able to line up the peaks by just dragging the separate audio file to line up. Not sure the right term but have the timeline adjusted to really spread it all out, can pretty much get it perfect then.
Then just cut the camera's audio before finishing.
We then add other shots by just dragging onto video then selecting 'cutaway'. It then shows on top & you can add fades by double clicking, select clip, then fade time.
Other things like the ken burns stuff we just put splits the main video & add the effect where we want.

can email screen shots of 'i wish' if you like, kinda shows how it all looks

hope that makes sense??

Last edited by greynz; 09-27-2015 at 04:42 PM. Reason: add something
Old 09-27-2015, 04:56 PM

Default Recording sound separate and filming multi-cam angles....

Great thanks for the rundown and screenshots would be great if you don't mind.

That all makes sense on the face of it but the how do you make sure the different angles are synced correctly to the audio? It seems that the 'master' video is but unsure of the other angles you mentioned?

Thanks again!
Old 09-27-2015, 05:09 PM

Not sure I can post photo as don't have Flickr or anything, can email though if you like.

Once the main video is in line then the cutaway shots (they'll just sit on top of main one in the timeline) can just be dragged to line up up visually, or do the same wiht the camera audio, line up peaks then drop volume)
Old 09-27-2015, 05:14 PM

....just to add so in the iMovie timeline you'll now have one main video with seperate audio track underneath, then above the main one you'll see all your other shots that just fade in whenever.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:11 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I deal with multi-angle music shoots all the time. The main thing to do is to only use audio one source. At that point the chore is to maintain sync. To do this, designate a camera or recorder (computer) to take the output of your master mics. Use the camera mics as a sync-only sources. At the head of each take, have the talent clap quietly, on-camera. Quietly is important. If the clap is louder than the guitar audio, it will restrict the volume available via normalization later. More about this later.

Now, to sync, bring your audio into the timeline. You should be able to see the clap as a transient at the head of the file. Line up your first video clip by finding the frame where the talent's hands come together. From there you can stack as many angle clips as your editing program can handle by matching the point where the clap happens, frame-by-frame.

If the talent claps too loud and limits normalization, you can first get all the clips in sync, then trim the clap, then normalize.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-27-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I deal with multi-angle music shoots all the time. The main thing to do is to only use audio one source. At that point the chore is to maintain sync. To do this, designate a camera or recorder (computer) to take the output of your master mics. Use the camera mics as a sync-only sources. At the head of each take, have the talent clap quietly, on-camera. Quietly is important. If the clap is louder than the guitar audio, it will restrict the volume available via normalization later. More about this later.

Now, to sync, bring your audio into the timeline. You should be able to see the clap as a transient at the head of the file. Line up your first video clip by finding the frame where the talent's hands come together. From there you can stack as many angle clips as your editing program can handle by matching the point where the clap happens, frame-by-frame.

If the talent claps too loud and limits normalization, you can first get all the clips in sync, then trim the clap, then normalize.

Bob
Bob, I think you're thinking of a multi-camera multi-angle shoot. And I believe the OP is doing multiple angles with a single camera, shooting different versions of the performance essentially.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 09-27-2015, 08:31 PM

This is how the start looks in iMovie

& here's the vid on youtube -

Old 09-28-2015, 05:08 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
Bob, I think you're thinking of a multi-camera multi-angle shoot. And I believe the OP is doing multiple angles with a single camera, shooting different versions of the performance essentially.

Fran
Ooops. Film style.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-28-2015, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawler View Post
Ok AGF's I would greatly appreciate some assistance with my recording setup/workflow.

What I want to do:
Record my guitar separately in Garageband and then use my DSLR to video my playing from 2-3 different angles (listening to the recording in my headphones for each separate angle so I can sync easily to the audio) and then implement these all into a multi-cam angle video.

Gear:
Taylor 414ce
Fishman Loudbox mini
Apogee One
Macbook Pro
Canon 70D

Software
iMovie
Final Cut Pro X

Problem I am having so far
I can make single angle videos fine in iMovie but it seems that this software does not support the making of a multi-cam angle video.

I got Final Cut Pro X on the basis it would support this but I cannot for the life of me work it out!

I can create a multi-cam angle video but the option is to sync this to the "audio" which in my case is recorded separately to all the videos - I therefore have no idea of the workflow in this circumstance?

Has anyone had a similar problem and offer any advice to where I am going wrong (with a possible workflow of how others achieve this)?

Appreciate any help with this!

Thanks,
Shaun
Personally if it were me and I was going to be doing this more that once and since you already have FC Pro X I would take the time now to learn it. It is a much more feature rich option. Yet basic workflow is somewhat similar to Imovie . As for syncing it is as someone suggested a mater of manually lining up ( vertically stacked in the time line ) the first audio peaks from each camera angle and the GB audio track your going to use. Then delete the camera audios . There is an option to label each video take something like camera A., B. and C then with a single key stroke cut to the different angles as the Video/Audio is playing back .
I haven't worked with FCP for a couple years now so I am rusty on offering any quick workflow advice But I would start by going to help section in FCP and just start down through it

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 09-28-2015 at 07:05 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:56 AM

DO you want to show multiple camera angles at the same time? Try Sony Vegas.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

Last edited by MikeBmusic; 09-29-2015 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:10 PM

Thanks for all the help.

I will play around with iMovie and FCPX but it seems that iMovie is going to be the most user friendly.

It would be great to see someone's workflow using separate audio and splicing different video angles to sync with this though!
Old 09-28-2015, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

If you have recorded multiple video tracks at the same time (multiple cameras), then using Final Cut Pro X is really simple. Here's a tutorial someone did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmFmyXWaQHM

You can see my results in any of my videos. If you're trying to sync multiple takes - one camera, doing it over again, you may have to do things manually, or if you feed the audio signal into the camera each time, that should just work - it syncs on the audio.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD