The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-06-2009, 12:04 PM

All excellent tips, however, don't overdo it. It's quite possible to get really sick of a song after hearing it for like a 1000 times.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coke_zero View Post
I was just wondering how people go about learning a song here.

I find it very difficult to memorise anything (probably as I am never relaxed). Anyway, how you do all learn your new song, how much time a day do you try to practic and on average how long does it take to learn a new tune that is verging on your top ability?

It would be interesting to see different peoples approaches. Also, how do you "know" a tune is within your ability before you try to learn it.
Funny you should mention that... HELP!!! I've got a thread about trying to learn a David Bromberg song and could use someadvice there. But what I'm doing is sitting here with my metronome at 60bpm and getting down the first "lick" which in my mind, for this tune, is the first 4 bars. I tend to do better by "chunks" so it depends on the song. In this case, because it's alternating thumb/finger, what I do is keep the thumb going nomatter what. Even if I have to start completely over, the thumb doesn't stop.

I don't know if this is the best way and could use some help on that. But I fiure it can't really hurt. Even if nothing else is sounding right, my thumb is thumping along to the metronome. I start with the lowest note in time with the left side of the metronome. On this tune (Delia) the thumb is just doing a D note (dropped D tuning) alternating between octaves so it's easy to look at the metronome and know if I've gotton off the beat. ONLY if I've gotten off the beat do I stop my thumb, take a break and start thumping again.

I'd love to know a better way in general or even for this particular tune.

Oher easier tunes are a whole different process. I like Randy Newman (it's easy to arrange for fingerstyle guitar). For that, I'll get to know the chords, positions and voicings that I want to use. So I basically learn to strum the tune before I start committing to fingering patterns. Much easier than the David Bromberg stuff.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:43 PM

What a great thread this is! I've learned a lot from it. My weak spot thus far is moving quickly and smoothly from chord to chord, so I've taken the month of September of from guitar lessons to focus mainly on chord changes, using a metronome. I started at 40 bpm and I'm at 52 bpm. My guitar instructor wrote out some chord progressions for me in various keys which is helpful. And now all the great tips in this thread...wow! I feel my enthusiasm returning!

2006 Taylor 410 acoustic
2008 Baby Taylor
Old 09-06-2009, 07:08 PM

I dont know... Ive been playing for 30+ years.... and I stll dont know anything...

I never get thru anyones tabs... I learn alot by trying it, which often takes me off on really interesting (for me) creative tangents... like, well, I cant play that tab, but i can do this with what I just learned..

I bought Benjamin Woolmans tab for Novella a few years back... learned the first few measures.. still havent learned the rest..

I wish I knew how to stay on task...

Rick
Larrivee LV09E
2008 Standard Stratocaster
Old 09-10-2009, 06:09 PM

You cannot get better advice from a better musician then this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ohW4mLrjCk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write